• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGN-AM Quandry

It don't seem to be a surprise since it seems like his show is required to be carried in every big/small city in the United States

Hardly a "requirement". Limbaugh is one of the few syndicated shows that requires both cash and barter to carry it, and it's a moneymaker even in low rated markets or it would be dropped.

The iHeart stations also make money from the Premier barter sales, so it is a doubly good deal for them.

Last edited:
I can beg to differ WCCO does have a website, and i have taken a look at their website, and I didn't see anything that looked as of syndicated programming, here take a look https://wccoradio.radio.com/shows/show-schedule . If you take a look it is only an updated schedule for the week between Monday thru Friday, with no mention of what is on between the hours of 2 to 5 AM and weekends. What do you have to say about this smarty pants? Are you trying to be like users like The Big A that likes to give me a hard time, I can answer that question and yes you are. Do I ask for your useless input?

I was responding to post #24, which questioned whether there were any other talkers that did no syndicated programming. I mentioned 5 of them.

As to WCCO, I don't know what they run in overnights... there are 3 unlisted hours. My friend and former associate Andy Bloom just left the OM position at WCCO and the local cluster, so I don't have an "insider" to contact.

I know we have a frequent poster from Le Sueur who likely can verify what is on here.

And this may be just like KFI in Los Angeles which is local except for the overnight show.

This is an open forum board. Anyone can comment on anyone else's post.

Last edited:
As for the Spanish-language Talk stations in Miami & San Juan, I'm curious if they are live overnight, rerun daytime talk shows or run music shows during late night hours. WADO New York, when it was Spanish language talk, played classic Tropical music late nights.

It's a combination of live on a couple and prerecorded day shows. None runs music.

I was responding to post #24, which questioned whether there were any other talkers that did no syndicated programming. I mentioned 5 of them.

As to WCCO, I don't know what they run in overnights... there are 3 unlisted hours. My friend and former associate Andy Bloom just left the OM position at WCCO and the local cluster, so I don't have an "insider" to contact.

I know we have a frequent poster from Le Sueur who likely can verify what is on here.

And this may be just like KFI in Los Angeles which is local except for the overnight show.

This is an open forum board. Anyone can comment on anyone else's post.

It is weird that it has taken this long fro you to defend yourself, but better late then never. But i have news for you, I doubt that there is anybody where that knows what WCCO airs between those hours, and I doubt that anybody knows, and the only way to know if you are up during this hours, and are listening either on a radio if you are in the area, or on the stream, and i would think a lot of us will be sleeping.

Hardly a "requirement". Limbaugh is one of the few syndicated shows that requires both cash and barter to carry it, and it's a moneymaker even in low rated markets or it would be dropped.

The iHeart stations also make money from the Premier barter sales, so it is a doubly good deal for them.

Okay David I have a challenge for you, can you name at least one city that his show does not have a station that carries his show, because I can't?

I would bet there is not one TV market that doesn't carry "Wheel of Fortune". Doesn't mean it'a a "requirement". Stations choose to air it

Okay David I have a challenge for you, can you name at least one city that his show does not have a station that carries his show, because I can't?

I don't see the point in that. Stations in just about every market with a talk station carry Rush because it's still, after about 30 years, a winning proposition.

Before Rush was syndicated with Premiere, I made a deal to carry the show from EIB on our WDSR in Lake City, FL. The show was so popular several restaurants had "Rush Rooms" where there were tables where you could eat and listen to rush while having lunch.

And there was a viable signal from Jacksonville that carried Rush. But it was not a local signal, and was not as strong and subject to summer static (a Florida thing). So, despite being a short drive from Jacksonville, we carried the show. And made lots of money. And, in 2019, it still does.

Some towns without an affiliate: Oxford, MS. Pine Bluff, AR. Rochester, MN. Williston, ND. Sidney, MT. Glendive, MT. Augusta, ME. Bangor, ME. Muskogee, OK. Laredo, TX. Nogales, AZ. Visalia, CA. Barstow, CA. El Centro/Brawley/Calexico, CA. Trinidad/Raton, NM. Lamar, CO. Hastings, NE. Beatrice, NE Vicksburg, MS. Waycross, GA. Tifton, GA. Key West, FL. Clovis, NM. Rock Springs, WY. Stockton, CA. San Juan, PR. Nome, AK. Pago Pago, AS. St. Croix, VI. Charlotte Amalie, VI.

But in most cases, a station could carry it. It is, as gr8oldies said, a choice.

It is weird that it has taken this long fro you to defend yourself, but better late then never. But i have news for you, I doubt that there is anybody where that knows what WCCO airs between those hours, and I doubt that anybody knows, and the only way to know if you are up during this hours, and are listening either on a radio if you are in the area, or on the stream, and i would think a lot of us will be sleeping.

Just as one example, WCCO is on the list of affiliates for "Music and the Spoken Word", the program of the Tabernacle Choir of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, recorded in Salt Lake City, not in Minneapolis. It runs at 5 AM on Sunday.

At 5:30 AM on Sunday, they run a CBS Network news roundup until 6 AM.

So there are two programs that are not local.

I don't see the point in that. Stations in just about every market with a talk station carry Rush because it's still, after about 30 years, a winning proposition.

Before Rush was syndicated with Premiere, I made a deal to carry the show from EIB on our WDSR in Lake City, FL. The show was so popular several restaurants had "Rush Rooms" where there were tables where you could eat and listen to rush while having lunch.

And there was a viable signal from Jacksonville that carried Rush. But it was not a local signal, and was not as strong and subject to summer static (a Florida thing). So, despite being a short drive from Jacksonville, we carried the show. And made lots of money. And, in 2019, it still does.

Some towns without an affiliate: Oxford, MS. Pine Bluff, AR. Rochester, MN. Williston, ND. Sidney, MT. Glendive, MT. Augusta, ME. Bangor, ME. Muskogee, OK. Laredo, TX. Nogales, AZ. Visalia, CA. Barstow, CA. El Centro/Brawley/Calexico, CA. Trinidad/Raton, NM. Lamar, CO. Hastings, NE. Beatrice, NE Vicksburg, MS. Waycross, GA. Tifton, GA. Key West, FL. Clovis, NM. Rock Springs, WY. Stockton, CA. San Juan, PR. Nome, AK. Pago Pago, AS. St. Croix, VI. Charlotte Amalie, VI.

But in most cases, a station could carry it. It is, as gr8oldies said, a choice.

Then your chicken, all I sent one city, and you Mr "I don't see the point of that", that you should admit that is required that his show be aired in every market, but i do see that you posted towns and wow there are a lot, I didn't think it was possible

That may qualify them to be included in USA Today's list of most livable cities. ;)

Then your(sic) chicken, all I sent(sic) one city, and you Mr "I don't see the point of that", that you should admit that is required that his show be aired in every market, but i do see that you posted towns and wow there are a lot, I didn't think it was possible

I still don't see a reason for trying to prove something that is not true... a requirement to air Rush in every radio market or town.

What I listed was just a random sample of cities that have radio service and are outside the primary coverage of a Rush-carrying station in some market near them. There are more.

The real point here is that there is no entity, government or private sector, that could "require" a station to carry any show.

In fact, the only program element that all stations are required to carry are EAS tests. The next closest thing to programming regulation would be the television children's programming requirements, but they don't specify a specific show, just a genre.

I still don't see a reason for trying to prove something that is not true... a requirement to air Rush in every radio market or town.

What I listed was just a random sample of cities that have radio service and are outside the primary coverage of a Rush-carrying station in some market near them. There are more.

The real point here is that there is no entity, government or private sector, that could "require" a station to carry any show.

In fact, the only program element that all stations are required to carry are EAS tests. The next closest thing to programming regulation would be the television children's programming requirements, but they don't specify a specific show, just a genre.

...and it was deemed unconstitutional for the government to interfere with programing.

If you are going to state a fact you should always have something to back it up up as proof, otherwise you should have stayed quiet

If you are going to state a fact you should always have something to back it up up as proof, otherwise you should have stayed quiet

Your response is rude and uncalled for.

Obviously, my source on "required programming" is the FCC rules, known as "Part 73" and found at:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...ff7644a4f1cb9&mc=true&node=pt47.4.73&rgn=div5

Stations are required to carry EAS tests from the primary station in their area, and to conduct system tests on their own with the specifics in the rules cited above.

While there are rules regarding profanity and indecency, rules about giving the station ID, rules about "attention attracting sounds" and the like, none of those require the broadcast of any particular program content insofar as radio is concerned.

There are general requirements of a very broad and vague nature as to the broadcast of content that serves community issues and needs, but it does not mandate any specific content and allows licensees considerable leeway insofar as to how they do such service elements.

Again, there is no requirement that stations carry the Rush Limbaugh Show on either an individual, market or geographical base. Particularly, there is no requirement that any content from a private for-profit company be broadcast; of course, the Limbaugh show is done by iHeart which is also a station owner.

Your response is rude and uncalled for.

Obviously, my source on "required programming" is the FCC rules, known as "Part 73" and found at:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...ff7644a4f1cb9&mc=true&node=pt47.4.73&rgn=div5

Stations are required to carry EAS tests from the primary station in their area, and to conduct system tests on their own with the specifics in the rules cited above.

While there are rules regarding profanity and indecency, rules about giving the station ID, rules about "attention attracting sounds" and the like, none of those require the broadcast of any particular program content insofar as radio is concerned.

There are general requirements of a very broad and vague nature as to the broadcast of content that serves community issues and needs, but it does not mandate any specific content and allows licensees considerable leeway insofar as to how they do such service elements.

Again, there is no requirement that stations carry the Rush Limbaugh Show on either an individual, market or geographical base. Particularly, there is no requirement that any content from a private for-profit company be broadcast; of course, the Limbaugh show is done by iHeart which is also a station owner.

If you think about it, if you had posted a sour in the first place, I would never had written what I written

If you think about it, if you had posted a sour(sic) in the first place, I would never had written what I written

Your first problem is that you are not knowledgeable about the business side of broadcasting, and don't accept the opinions of those who post here who have been in the industry for decades.

Your desire for a source is still unmet. There is no way to prove that a law requiring stations to carry a specific program does not exist, because there is no written proof of it. I cited the FCC rules as an example of one place where such a law does not appear, but I would have to go through all Federal, State and Local legislation and codes to prove conclusively that such a rule does not exist.

On the other hand, people in the business know how silly the idea of stations being required to run Rush is. It's an absurdity, we know it and a number of people here tried to tell you that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom