• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGN 720 Transmitter Site Rebuild

As someone who once worked for Nexstar, I’m beyond surprised they’re even lifting a finger, let alone paying for a whole radio station to change tower locations

As someone who once worked for Nexstar, I’m beyond surprised they’re even lifting a finger, let alone paying for a whole radio station to change tower locations
A couple of million in relocation costs to unlock many tens of millions of dollars of value from the land at the site? I'd take that deal any day of the week. And so would Perry.

It's a very big country. I have no idea where exactly you're located or what the specifics of your wireless internet provider might or might not be.

I am saying there's no way any "powerful politician or businessman" in 2023 is going to function for long, even at a vacation home, without internet service that allows them to do all the things we all need to do remotely these days, whether it's zoom calls or streaming video or what have you.

Starlink has become an extremely viable option for that purpose and it works anywhere you can see the sky. The three big wireless phone carriers will all sell you fixed links with data service that can replace wired home internet where it's insufficient or nonexistent. I'm seriously contemplating ditching Spectrum wired service where I am in favor of VZ or T 5G fixed.

Is there a modern-day titan of industry in his million-dollar lakefront mansion really futzing around with an AM radio to pull in 720 or 780 from across the lake to listen through 8 minutes of spots for a news headline? I suppose it's possible, but it seems highly unlikely to me in this century.
I know that prestigious University towns always used to have faster and better internet before the rest of us.

You are probably right about the influential people from Chicago on the Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan demanding better service. But remember that the people buying houses in the listings linked below may be living above their means, and looking to cut corners.

But in areas of Michigan where I have lived, though where I live now is just 3 miles from a remote University Research Campus, in a rural area, we don't have many options. I'll have to call them up next week to see what they use to connect to the main campus.

More about what Chicago Journalist Pundits call the "Would Be Hamptons".

Last edited:
Is there a modern-day titan of industry in his million-dollar lakefront mansion really futzing around with an AM radio to pull in 720 or 780 from across the lake to listen through 8 minutes of spots for a news headline? I suppose it's possible, but it seems highly unlikely to me in this century.
We have a winner! You have successfully identified the Elephant in the Room and win our grand prize.

Beyond that, let's name a few multi-millionaires who would have their entire family carrying PPMs to get a chance to, maybe, get a new refrigerator after a year of everyone wearing them in full compliance everywhere they went. No? I can't either!

Can you say "not" kiddies? Let's all say it out loud: N-O-T.

Last edited:
Well, I never heard the term FIP before today. But it's a much more obscene version of what Straits Area people call "fudgies", but applying to the Metro Chicago people I am referring to, rather than to Metro Detroiters. However, this article refers to people named Daley and Pritzker for their disdain.

Well, I never heard the term FIP before today. But it's a much more obscene version of what Straits Area people call "fudgies", but applying to the Metro Chicago people I am referring to, rather than to Metro Detroiters. However, this article refers to people named Daley and Pritzker for their disdain.

OMG. The ´part about the pronunciation of Leelanau was a give-away even 60 or so years ago.

But the original fudgiie name came from Traverse City, and spread quickly to Petoskey. Straits are fudgies came later in places like Charlevoix and St. Ignace.

In small towns and rural areas, and certain satellite providers, dropouts and data limitations are common. Cable internet connections from major carriers fail more than they will admit.
Streaming audio is such a tiny amount of data that data limits are basically meaningless. WBBM uses a 64kb/s codec for their stream, which would cost about 28 MB per hour. In fact, you could stream WBBM 12 hours each day for a month on the standard AT&T mobile plan and still have about 60% of the data allotment remaining.

My experience with the cable company is that their service is essentially as reliable as the power company.

I would like to know what Internet provider you're referring to. The best we've had was a wireless internet service with no slowdowns or data limits. The Township Supervisor told the provider that cable was coming, which wasn't true, and the wireless provider turned off our wireless tower to save money. It's been downhill ever since, and had to sign up for two years with our only other option, a satellite provider.
According to broadbandmap.fcc.gov, the dominant provider between Michigan City and Benton Harbor is Comcast, with most homes also having access to AT&T DSL. So those mansions on the lakeshore generally have choice, if one provider isn't up to standards.

Back
Top Bottom