• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGHQ Gets a Big Fat Zero

Last year, WGHQ flipped from country to soft AC/oldies format where is going to compete with WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” called “Magic 92.5”. It was a pretty good station, way better than “Fox Oldies”, but it has a better selection of 50’s and 60’s oldies and 70’s and 80’s soft rock hits, plus a few from the 90’s and the new millennium, along with songs that you don’t hear on “Fox Oldies”. It’s a very good station, without hearing some dinosaur rock like Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and The Who.

According to the latest Fall 2021 Poughkeepsie ratings book, WGHQ’s new “Magic 92.5/920” is still not showing up in the ratings, but still gets a “Big Fat Zero”. I guess I’m the only one including some are listening to WGHQ’s new “Magic 92.5”, but the problem is, the lack of DJ’s, but it’s still jockless since it has been on the air back in March of last year. And in addition, as of now, they added jingles to the station since WGHQ was introduced back in October or November. And in December, it plays Christmas songs which was one or two songs per hour, and on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, they added a satellite syndicated “Jim Brickman Show” with a special Christmas program. I wish “Magic” would add Jim Brickman to evenings.

Now that WGHQ’s “Magic” isn’t doing well, here is my prediction for 2022. Since 92.5 has a terrible signal in Kingston, it’s not doing well when it reaches Poughkeepsie on FM as well as Catskill. I hope it needs a wake up call. Since WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies” continues to down the drain, here is my suggestion. Sell the station to Pamal. Sunrise is the worst company ever which owns WGNY-FM at 98.9. You need to sell 98.9 to Pamal. I can’t stand with the oldies format after nearly 10 or so years since it has not doing well. Since 92.5 is not doing well, you need to move “Magic” over to 98.9 and call it “Magic 98,9” to get a better signal coverage when it reaches Poughkeepsie, and do it very well to get the ratings, except 920 AM only has “Kingston Community Radio” while 98.9 is now running the format. “Magic” is now hurting WGNY-FM’s “Fox Oldies”, and WKXP’s “Lite-FM”.

And also, “Magic” needs to have DJ’s. That’s a good idea. Why not add DJ’s to WGHQ including Bill Williams which he is going to do a better morning show. Plus Bob Greene on middays which is a great choice. I used to listened to him when he was WABY a few years ago, and on WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” as well. And I would love to hear Bob Greene to middays. And then, for afternoon drive, we need to bring in Bob Johnson to the station which is a good choice, but I haven’t heard Bob Johnson since he was let go from “Magic 590/100.5” two years ago due to COVID-19. For weekends, we need Jay Scott and Richie Norris. I want to see him come back to WGHQ’s “Magic” to do weekends. And also, add a few syndicated shows like Sid Mark’s “Sounds of Sinatra” since it has not being heard in a long time. I remember the show back in the WEOK days, and keep the “Doo-Wop Stop” with Cool Bobby B on WGHQ, and a new show “Goddard’s Gold” to the new station which is a good idea.

And speaking of WGHQ, the rest of the Poughkeepsie fall ratings is listed down below.

woah nelly.. alot of info there.

The morning show is paid time. The group who puts it on pays for it, so unless pamal thinks a morning show host they pay for will make even more money thats not gonna change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom