• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGAL TV News

Channel 8 will begin their 10:00 PM Newscast on Monday February 4th.They are putting it on their
sub-channel 8.2 and of course it will be on cable.See "Lancaster on line " for the entire story.

I find it kind of curious that they're going to the expense of putting a live newscast on a digital channel. I have DirecTV so I can't even get the station. Somebody much be watching that channel?

RockMustLive said:
I find it kind of curious that they're going to the expense of putting a live newscast on a digital channel. I have DirecTV so I can't even get the station. Somebody much be watching that channel?

WGAL 8.2 is available over the air and on cable, although not, as you point out, on satellite services. The same is true for all the .2 and .3 channels in the area. Aside from not being carried on satellite, these are full-power channels and have as much chance for viewership as the .1s do if the programming is worth watching. News 8 is an established brand, and for viewers who prefer WGAL's local news already, a 10pm newscast might be attractive. WHP's 10pm on WLYH hasn't generated much interest, but neither does WHP's 11pm on WHP itself. An added bonus: WGAL's 10pm might also deflate WPMT's 10pm viewership.

I'm also a DirecTV subscriber. I guess I could put an OTA antenna up and scan the sub-channels in. I guess my next question to myself is why would I want to really do that? I'm really not sure if there's a reason DirecTV won't carry the sub-channels or not. If cable is doing it for the locals why not DirecTV?

I barely watch Fox 43 at 10 as it is, so not sure the excitement about Channel 8 at 10 pm either.

SteelRocker said:
I'm also a DirecTV subscriber. I guess I could put an OTA antenna up and scan the sub-channels in. I guess my next question to myself is why would I want to really do that? I'm really not sure if there's a reason DirecTV won't carry the sub-channels or not. If cable is doing it for the locals why not DirecTV?

I barely watch Fox 43 at 10 as it is, so not sure the excitement about Channel 8 at 10 pm either.

I think the main reason DirecTV can't add the channel is capacity. Stations in pretty much every market have these digital channels and they probably just don't have the bandwidth to carry them.

RockMustLive said:

WNEP in Scranton puts on a local newscast at 10 p.m. on Channel 16.2 to go against WOLF Channel 56. Same idea that WGAL wants to do. Not sure how the ratings are for Channel 16.2's newscast, but they've been doing it for a few years now, so somebody must be watching. And yes, it is live and local.

This leaves WHTM as the only one who doesn't have a 10pm newscast now.....I can't imagine it would be long now...

A smart move by WGAL - it draws attention to 8.2, which is probably what's needed most. As we "geezers" go to bed earlier, the late-TV ad dollars move with us. People will find 8.2, whatever system they're on. Was this a local 30-minute insert that THIS network created?

JSM said:
FWIW, I just heard on Fox 43 that they are going to start a 4AM news cast, beginning Wednesday

Seriously? If so, probably with the same hapless people who are doing 5am, 6am, 7am and 8am.

But you're only joking, right?

Dear EPMARK- From one "geezer" to another I have gotten use to watching either channel 21's
news at 10:00 PM or Fox 43 news at 10:00.I usually switch between them.Its' hard to break habits. Then it's bedtime.
I caught WGAL's first newscast at 10:00 PM on 8.2 and it was about what I had expected.
They did steal channel 21's "weather comes first on ".I will stick with other two stations.
They are probably tape delaying ( actually server delaying ) the start of the 10:00 PM movie
on 8.2. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom