• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFNX sold to CC

Boston alternative rocker WFNX has been sold to Clear Channel. I sense it's days as one of the better alternative stations in the country are numbered. Much the same way when Cargill sold Rev105 in Minneapolis to Disney back in 1996 which killed the format immediately after taking over.

The majority of alternative stations across the US have really leaned active and have stayed away from the indie style (unless it hits the charts). There is a reason for this and I think I know why and I want your opinions on this.

With the popularity of AAA formats over the last 10 years, these stations have been the go to for artist like Portugal of Man, Edward Sharp and the Mechanical Zeros, Passion Pit and even The Wombats. The cities that have both Alternative and AAA stations have Alt stations that stand out and away from the AAA stations. These Alt stations are playing the harder stuff with the exception of Gotye and Fun which actually made it high on the charts. Most of your Alternative stations (with the exception of the Radio 104.5, FM949, 91X and WFNX) are sticking to an alternative/hybrid format. Your CC "Alternative" stations play a mixture of alternative and active rock. I actually heard Metallica on The Edge in Houston.

Could AAA and Alternative stations be canceling each other out? Here in Atlanta, we have 99x (ALTERNATIVE) and Dave 92.9 (AAA). I find myself switching between both in the attempt to hear the breaking artist. 99X would play the newer stuff from artist like 30 sec to mars and My chem while DAVE would be the place to hear Monsters of Men and The Shins.

The Alternative stations that we Alternative fanatics really enjoy on FM are the stations that incorporate both Alternative and what is now considered AAA artist (the modern ones anyway). So I ask, could AAA be the cause of the destruction of Alternative radio?

Someone mentioned KSLG as a good alternative pick. I can't agree more with that person. I looked at their playlist for over 30 minutes. They play anything from The Lumineers to Slipknot. Again, incorporating what normally would be played on AAA stations and even some harder edge alternative/active rock stuff like Slipknot. What this does is increases the playlist so your never going to hear a repeat. That says a lot from a station that focuses on "modern" rock. Any "modern" station, regardless if it's country, rap or pop, will have many repeats due to the narrow playlist. KSLG proves that this is not always the case.

See, I dunno 'bout that. I'm think it's actually good for the occasional repeat. Maybe 2.5x a day, enough that it doesn't hit people listening at the same time on successive days. (And that's how I program the Heavy category. They're new, they're good, and I want people to hear them.)

hubcity said:
See, I dunno 'bout that. I'm think it's actually good for the occasional repeat. Maybe 2.5x a day, enough that it doesn't hit people listening at the same time on successive days. (And that's how I program the Heavy category. They're new, they're good, and I want people to hear them.)

I understand what your saying but like here in Atlanta, our Alternative station only plays one song from The Strokes and that was their only real big hit, Last Night. The Strokes is my favorite indie/alternative band, yet, I hate that damn song. Yes, the song is good but after that song is repeated on a daily bases as if the band had no other hits, it gets tired and boring real quick.

This same station stays away from the lighter alternative hits from the more indie side because the local AAA stations plays them and the alternative station is afraid to sound like them. In turn, this gives Atlanta two stations that are Alternative oriented and both suck with a limited playlist.

Luckily, the local AAA station is about at its end and hopefully, if they change formats, that will give the local alternative station a chance to nail those more indie style artist while still playing the cutting edge harder alternative stuff like L.P.

acheron82 said:
Luckily, the local AAA station is about at its end and hopefully, if they change formats, that will give the local alternative station a chance to nail those more indie style artist while still playing the cutting edge harder alternative stuff like L.P.

Am I reading this incorrectly, or did this poster just describe Linkin Park as "cutting edge"?

puddingpop said:
acheron82 said:

Am I reading this incorrectly, or did this poster just describe Linkin Park as "cutting edge"?

HAHA! Trying to be cute with my descriptive words. How I was attempting to describe Linkin Park is harder, aggressive, or more active oriented. I suppose "cutting edge" is not only a poor choice of words but an incorrect choice of words altogether. Hopefully I pulled myself out of the gutter on that one! lol!

WFNX to CC deal may be one of the best things to happen for Alternative radio. I believe that CC will relaunch 101.7 and aim it squarely at the 18-34 demo. They have been honing their Alternative Project for years and are starting to sound pretty good. CC recently began running it on a translator in Cleveland. 101.7 will be an ideal opportunity for CC to work Alt Project on a "real" signal as opposed to the internet and HD2s they've been using. 101.7 has a 30 year Alt format just waiting for CC to cut out the dead wood and revive with a younger audience.

CC knows how to successfully play the Alt game. They flipped KSRY (103.1) to simulcast KYSR, which screwed up Indie 103.1 in the Valley enough to hasten Indie's demise. KYSR has taken a HUGE bite out of KROQ's ass in LA.

Alt radio has been skewing 25-54 far too much lately. There may be a 10 year age overlap between 18-34 and 25 to 54 (25-34y.o.), but the 25 to 34 (18-34 demo) Alt listener is a totally different animal than the 25-34 y.o. listeners in the 25-54 demo. I believe CC is savvy enough to understand this and program an Alt accordingly.

The end is NOT near and the bell does NOT toll for Alternative radio!

-

iyiyi said:
WFNX to CC deal may be one of the best things to happen for Alternative radio. I believe that CC will relaunch 101.7 and aim it squarely at the 18-34 demo. They have been honing their Alternative Project for years and are starting to sound pretty good. CC recently began running it on a translator in Cleveland. 101.7 will be an ideal opportunity for CC to work Alt Project on a "real" signal as opposed to the internet and HD2s they've been using. 101.7 has a 30 year Alt format just waiting for CC to cut out the dead wood and revive with a younger audience.

CC knows how to successfully play the Alt game. They flipped KSRY (103.1) to simulcast KYSR, which screwed up Indie 103.1 in the Valley enough to hasten Indie's demise. KYSR has taken a HUGE bite out of KROQ's ass in LA.

I have to disagree with this. I believe CC is killing alternative radio. You mentioned the Alt Project by CC, NO NO NO, this is not alternative rock. Alt rock skews a little older and more intelligent than active rock. CC's alt project is a alternative/active rock hybrid. They even play Metallica for goodnesss sakes.
Alt radio has been skewing 25-54 far too much lately. There may be a 10 year age overlap between 18-34 and 25 to 54 (25-34y.o.), but the 25 to 34 (18-34 demo) Alt listener is a totally different animal than the 25-34 y.o. listeners in the 25-54 demo. I believe CC is savvy enough to understand this and program an Alt accordingly.

The end is NOT near and the bell does NOT toll for Alternative radio!

-

I disagree. CC owns Radio 104.5, which is one of the best rated and well-liked (at least by people on this board) Alternative in the nation. Doesn't hurt that they also own The Buzz in Houston (albeit more active skewing, but it's numbers are HUGE, so they must be doing something right). They own plenty of other Alts in Top 30 markets that do good to great in their markets. Do I care for most of their playlists? Other than WRFF and KUCD, not really, but they satisfy their markets' demands.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom