• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WESX

Had many years hanging around the station in my early teens. The bratty kid from up the street. Inspired to get my 3rd phone at 13 so the management couldn’t be too upset with me running the board for the night guy. So many stories and experiences. Can still remember most of the announcers and their most common comment. “Don’t get into this business kid”.
Followed the advice and been sorry for it ever since.

Rusty

don't be sorry, they gave you the right advice

My Dad gave me the same advice when I was flunking out of college because I was spending too much time in the radio station

"radio is a bunch of people stabbing each other in the back for a $7.00/hr job"

Luckily, I followed his advice

And I had a First Phone at 15....

My Dad gave me the same advice when I was flunking out of college because I was spending too much time in the radio station

Not all stations were that way. Most were not, in my experience.

I started at $1.10 an hour, and the staff of WJMO in Cleveland was helpful in every way, teaching me the basics and mentoring me. In return, I hung around, did coffee and fast food runs, cleaned the studios and even the rest room, filed albums and all kind of other stuff until I eventually got a paid shift.

I ended up a bit more than $7 an hour, too.

don't be sorry, they gave you the right advice

Luckily, I followed his advice

And I had a First Phone at 15....
This sounds so true. Had a pal years later that had also grown up in the business in Nebraska. Both parents on air. He scraped through the eighties and nineties trying to get into a different trade. Never went well. Thanks for the reply.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom