• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WestwoodOne adds new 24/7 format Good Time Oldies...

"...and Lori, 'RF burns' are what you get when you grab the business end of the power input of a transmitter!"

Actually, RF (radio frequency energy) is what you get at the output of a transmitter, not the input.

You take AC, add a little audio, tune till amplified, and output it into a radiator.

"...and Lori, 'RF burns' are what you get when you grab the business end of the power input of a transmitter!"

Actually, RF (radio frequency energy) is what you get at the output of a transmitter, not the input.

You take AC, add a little audio, tune till amplified, and output it into a radiator.

David, Jim would have known that...not me! :) He's got his 1st Class FCC License with Radar Endorsement! I'm like Sgt. Hans Schultz...I know nothing when it comes to the tech stuff! ;)

David,

Why do I get the feeling you're an on-the-side chef?

JUST KIDDING! :)

R

I will move heaven and earth to be able to hear Jim Zippo again. As a teenager in the 80s into the 90s as a 20-something, I shunned contemporary music (at least in the morning!) just to hear what he would say between records. He could play all polkas, and I would listen... he's THAT good.

I'm sorry you've never had the benefit of listening to him. Hopefully you'll have a local affiliate to school you.

This was originally a response to blatant publicity hype. This is not about jealousy. Now I'll address some of the other things that you wrote that were not valid. A majority of the medium market stations that used any of the Satellite Music Network/ABC 24 hour formats were rim shot stations that didn't put a competitive signal into their particular market. Full signal stations in the medium markets didn't need an automated babysitting service to run their stations. The rim shot stations did because their signal couldn't compete. The next issue is talent or lack of it. When it was still the Satellite Music Network, they specifically moved it from Mokena, Illinois, to Dallas because Texas is a right to work state and they wouldn't have to deal with unions and could pay employees minimally. It wasn't because the Dallas market has or had superior radio talent. It was about saving money and they knew it didn't really matter who they hired and what they paid them as long as they could run the automation, get the tones right and sound adequate for the few times per hour that they had to talk. When ABC took over, they figured out a way to get their operating expenses even lower by getting rid of anybody who made more than a certain amount of money for formats that babysat stations and they wouldn't lose affiliates no matter who they hired. ABC just corrected the hiring mistakes of the previous ownership. Next is the issue of Zippo being a legendary dj. I wouldn't throw around that term so loosely. Legendary djs mean djs like Dan Ingram, Bruce Morrow, Dick Biondi, Dr. Don Rose, Charlie Tuna, Robert W. Morgan, Larry Lujack and others of their ilk. Zippo and anyone else who was ever employed by any of those 24 hour formats is not on the same planet with any of those djs nor in the same solar system. Most of the legendary djs worked full time for an extended amount of time in either New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. In addition, the legendary djs didn't have their wives and girlfriends trying to get publicity for them. Last, but not least, if Westwood One had any faith that the new format would do well, they would have hired more than 3 djs. This means that over half the time, the format will be an automated jukebox. Then there is the issue about the age of an unsaleable audience for a format based on 60s music. Even the crappiest small market stations had to drop playing 60s music because they couldn't sell it because of the age of the audience. My guess is that Westwood One's attitude about this new format is that we're not going to invest much because we don't expect much. For the people who do want to hear 60s music, they have 10,000 other alternatives rather than hearing this format on a bunch of small A. M. daytimers with bad signals which is where this format is headed.

RF- you really don't know what you are talking about. Go find someone else to argue with you. I can see you must have gotten burned and I was a sucker to buy into it. I won't bother to respond to any additional posts. Go pick on someone else, you're obviously just jealous.

. A majority of the medium market stations that used any of the Satellite Music Network/ABC 24 hour formats were rim shot stations that didn't put a competitive signal into their particular market.

Not true as an across the board statement. I used SMN in the late 80's in several North FL markets, including Tallahassee which is definitely a medium market. And we had it on a signal licensed to Tallahassee, not a rimshot. In fact, we picked SMN after looking at successful affiliates in places like Pensacola, Albany, Dothan, etc. And we felt it had a quality we could not match locally at a very good price.

Full signal stations in the medium markets didn't need an automated babysitting service to run their stations. The rim shot stations did because their signal couldn't compete.

Stations in very competitive markets where the dollars were spread too thin used satellite formats as a way of saving money so they could remain viable as Docket 80-90 did its double whammy of dropping in new stations and allowing rimshots to move closer in.

The next issue is talent or lack of it. When it was still the Satellite Music Network, they specifically moved it from Mokena, Illinois, to Dallas because Texas is a right to work state and they wouldn't have to deal with unions and could pay employees minimally. It wasn't because the Dallas market has or had superior radio talent. It was about saving money and they knew it didn't really matter who they hired and what they paid them as long as they could run the automation, get the tones right and sound adequate for the few times per hour that they had to talk.

I never found any of that to be true. The move to Dallas had a lot to do with costs, but also had to do with attracting talent... not as many people want to move to Chicago as to Dallas, due to climate, cost of living, crime, education, etc. And, for a "new technology" company, working without sometimes antiquated union rules was indeed a benefit.

When ABC took over, they figured out a way to get their operating expenses even lower by getting rid of anybody who made more than a certain amount of money for formats that babysat stations and they wouldn't lose affiliates no matter who they hired. ABC just corrected the hiring mistakes of the previous ownership.

No, they adapted to the reality of it being a business. In the mid-90's, stations started installing AudioVault systems and comparable hard disk storage systems and many found they could produce formats that ran unattended locally. And other entrants into the field offered interesting variants on remote delivery... ABC had to tighten up as the business model changed.

Remember, satellite was itself a replacement for tape delivered formats that ran on expensive hardware and which required some attention and lots of maintenance. Satellite was better... until a new "better" came along.

Next is the issue of Zippo being a legendary dj. I wouldn't throw around that term so loosely. Legendary djs mean djs like Dan Ingram, Bruce Morrow, Dick Biondi, Dr. Don Rose, Charlie Tuna, Robert W. Morgan, Larry Lujack and others of their ilk.

You are just totally off base here. You are naming talents from KHJ, KFRC, WLS and WABC... Top 5 market stations from the AM Top 40 days. There are plenty of talents who worked in the next tier of markets, such as Phoenix and Cleveland and Dallas and Houston and Miami who are just as good but who were not in a Top 5 market. Jim Zippo is one of them... and IMHO, every bit as good.

Most of the legendary djs worked full time for an extended amount of time in either New York, Los Angeles or Chicago.

Who says that the talent on WABC was that much better than KELP or KDES or KRIG or KERN or WSAI or WGRD or KENO or WORL or WAPE or WSGN or KLEO.... and dozens more like it in markets like Saginaw and Mobile (the legendary WABB) or Jackson or Oklahoma City or Jamestown, SD, for that matter!

In addition, the legendary djs didn't have their wives and girlfriends trying to get publicity for them.

Now that qualifies for a cheap shot award. I think it is pretty nice that Jim's wife shares his love for his career and helps spread the word. It is hard for radio spouses... constant moves, changes of format, odd shifts, quirky management and all that... and it's really great to see Lori cheering for Jim (Hey, that's what she trained to do!!!!).

Last, but not least, if Westwood One had any faith that the new format would do well, they would have hired more than 3 djs. This means that over half the time, the format will be an automated jukebox.

Morning, mid-days and afternoons, with the same team VTing the rest of the day and weekends. It is the model followed by many major market stations... except that some of those are only live in drives and automate middays, too. Welcome to technology and its ability to, when well done, be better than live.

Remember, when done by less than first rate talent, "live" is just "evil" spelled backwards.

Then there is the issue about the age of an unsaleable audience for a format based on 60s music. Even the crappiest small market stations had to drop playing 60s music because they couldn't sell it because of the age of the audience.

Many classic hits, starting with WCBS-FM, play some 60's. And the press release says that the core will be 70's with some 60's and some 80's... that's the current definition of Classic Hits.

So, even if they are targeting medium and smaller markets or less than full major market signals, there is a client base for 35-64 in markets that are not agency driven. In fact, many successful suburban stations and smaller market signals are much broader in their 60's and 70's coverage because they sell to a different client base... one that often does not have the 25-54 buy restriction in mind.

My guess is that Westwood One's attitude about this new format is that we're not going to invest much because we don't expect much. For the people who do want to hear 60s music, they have 10,000 other alternatives rather than hearing this format on a bunch of small A. M. daytimers with bad signals which is where this format is headed.

This format was developed to replace the Scott Shannon produced TOC. Look at the impressive lineup of stations TOC had, and note that few are "small AM daytimers" (although some are) and the format got well into the top 100 markets or the fringes of that. It's a very viable satellite format and one that appeals to stations that sell direct since the clients are generally right in the target demo.

You do get today's "Misanthrope Award" though, so nice going!

================================================

Input, output... sometimes the good Sgt. gets confused with

all the technical stuff. What he DOES know is that it is

ALWAYS a bad idea to grab something that can grab you back

and NOT LET GO!!!

================================================

Sorry about the cross posting, didn't know about the rules. I was originally responding to 3 separate markets NYC, Atlanta and one of the Oldies/Classic Hits format forums that brought up the question about Scott Shannon's TOC being cancelled by Westwood One. I posted what I knew about TOC being replaced with Good Time Oldies, naming the 3 major dayparts with my hubby, Jim Zippo replacing Scott Shannon in am drive. In the Dallas forum I was offering congrats to Jim, John Summers and long time friend Kevan Browning. GTO will be a 24/7 format, the WW1 press releases, for the time being, only name the major day part jocks. I'm sure more info will be coming as the launch date is April 28th.

David Eduardo made some additional, insightful comments on the 60s, 70s, 80s Classic Hits format forum.

My favorite quote of David's to RF Burns was, "You do get today's "Misanthrope Award" though, so nice going!"

For anyone following this go to the Classic Hits 60s, 70s, 80s format forum. It's an interesting read and does clarify a few things. :)

I can understand why based on previous and current radio stations, listeners would think the "new" oldies format would be as dull and boring as all the other recent examples have been... but having listened to Zippo in Dallas (voicetracking sometimes, even!) and hearing him being able to work in some personality to what is pretty much a "liner jock" format... and knowing that he'll be in charge... AND doing mornings... I just know this is going to be something very, very special.

If he can do what he did years ago, with all the drops and bits in his show, and all the listener interaction... I think these listeners will happier with the new format than they realize.

I am typically against satellite programming. It killed my favorite top 40 in the early 80s. Even with personalities like Wink Martindale and Peter Marshall, it's hard to beat talented local personalities given the freedom to entertain and interact.

Jim Zippo is the only person I can think of that I've heard on satellite that I'd RATHER hear than a local personality.

I'm really hoping we get a Tulsa affiliate... otherwise, somebody's going to have me listening to their internet stream every morning!

DISCLAIMER: I worked in radio for 22 years, but got out when I realized it was slowly starving me to death (although my belly doesn't reflect this financial reality). I've passionately listened to radio since I was a little kid, and even "out of the business" today, still spin the dial constantly looking for anything new or interesting. (I'm constantly disappointed.)

To deal with my "radio addiction," besides sharing my experiences and opinions on discussion boards like these, I run an internet radio station out of the front room of my house.

Jim Zippo has been kind enough to accept my friend request on Facebook, and that has allowed me to get to know his wonderful wife, Lori. I do not know Lori outside of Facebook, and I don't know Zippo outside of Facebook and the radio. I'll see no financial benefit, but it would make me grin ear to ear to see this new format not only survive but thrive.

NAYSAYERS: I think you're going to like what's coming more than you think you will. This is exciting news, you just don't know it is yet.

LORI: Thank you!! We think the world of you and the Zip-Dude as well! I'm honored to know you, and even more to be able to call you "friend." :)

WW1 GTO is better than Shannon.

Sorry, Shannon Fans. If Shannon didn't like it it never got played. No matter how big a hit. We were amazed weekend one by how many things we weren't hearing with SS were being played. First response was "well they're playing what _they_ like instead of what Shannon likes. Nope. Great mix and getting better. They are moving later than originally promoted though. Can't survive playing 50s-60s like you think you can. Totally happy with the GTO feed. Audio quality is consistent levelwise and sonic qualitywise as well as music selection. Everyone rates this higher than TOC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom