• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Westwood One adds new 24/7 Good Time Oldies format to replace Scott Shannon's TOC

I loved Shannon's format, and I'm going to lose it in my market because Cumulus owns the station. Oldies appeal to an older crowd (duh!), so talent really makes a difference. We're looking for that DJ style we knew as kids.

I question what is the problem of having a solid local morning show that can really relate to the audience , play games on the air with people in the
audience area, do some quick interviews with people involved in community events etc.
There are stations in Metro markets can do very well with the Good Time Oldies format from 10 am on but I would do my best to have a local morning show.
Now if management cannot afford a solid morning show host - then go the network.
Apparently you missed the word "egomaniac" in my earlier message. I once worked for a GM who put up billboards all over town saying that he was "back." I asked around to find out if anyone really remembered him from before, or actually even "missed" him, and the answer was "no"! It turned out that he had actually (previously) been on in a neighboring town, and the station could have been heard in the town where I was then living and working, but the previous station's signal and programming were not actually aimed toward that town.

If the station can afford a good solid local morning program, then by all means go with it. But don't give an egomaniac a microphone. The GM that I mentioned in the previous paragraph talked before and after EVERY song!

Granted, Scott Shannon had a few lost hits he brought to the daily mix. It will be curious if Good Time Oldies rotates a safe list or adds a few oh, wow songs themselves.

A link to a station in the Utica-Rome market that switched to GTO was posted on Facebook today in the JIM ZIPPO - GOOD TIME OLDIES group.

http://www.1420amthefox.com/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom