• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wendy’s drive-thru orders to be taken by A.I. chatbot that understands a ‘milkshake’ is actually a ‘frosty’

Which brings to mind another question......did drive-in fast food joints buy up all the speakers from drive-in movie theaters?
That is so true I had to do more than just insert a 😄 icon!

Put those speakers in a location where there is lots of background noise from the highway in front of the store and it's worthy of a comedian's routine!

Daniela Sirtori-Cortina at Fortune authored that story and the corresponding headline. Contacts for that website and their editors can be found at the "about us" page at fortune.com. I'm sure they'd love to hear your thoughts.
I'm way too old to be tilting at windmills.

At the Sonic near me it gets irritating trying to put in an order when there is a truck with a running diesel engine in the next stall. I've actually moved to get away from them. :rolleyes:
As an aside: I had high hopes for Sonic, but their food is mediocre at best and there are too many items on the menu, Goes to too many things and but nothing done well.

As an aside: I had high hopes for Sonic, but their food is mediocre at best and there are too many items on the menu, Goes to too many things and but nothing done well.
Sonic has one item that will keep me coming in: they still serve a very good limeade (regular and sugar free). One of my favorite drinks from the old days. No one else in my area seems to offer that.

Today I went to the drive through at Checkers. A chatbot took my entire order, asked if I wanted a medium or large sized meal, told me they were out of the first drink I wanted and asked me to try another selection. "She" then tried to sell me additional stuff like apple pie, which I declined. She then gave me the total, I pulled around, paid and my order was ready. There was no screen for me to read to review and verify the order was correct as I've experienced at some other fast food joints with a live person at the window using their headset to take your order and the chatbot did not repeat my order back to ensure it was correct - Only gave me the total and told me to pull around.

The only screwups were done by the humans. They guy handed me my drink and a bag with my food in it and walked away. No ketchup for the fries and I had to wait for him to return after about 1 1/2 minutes to ask for it. Then, once I pulled away, I realized he gave me no napkins.

The only screwups were done by the humans. They guy handed me my drink and a bag with my food in it and walked away. No ketchup for the fries and I had to wait for him to return after about 1 1/2 minutes to ask for it. Then, once I pulled away, I realized he gave me no napkins.
That's one good reason I don't use drive-thru's unless it is a very simple order (like a single drink or summat).

Your next Wendy’s drive-thru order may be taken by an A.I. chatbot that understands a ‘milkshake’ is actually a ‘frosty’ in the chain’s lingo​

This doesn't have anything to do with AI. All words (sounds actually) are stored in a place which allows the machine to compare them to pre-recorded sounds and take appropriate response. Exactly like a smart phone app which "understands" speech.

Don't believe me? Try some slang or ethnic street language in a "normal" neighborhood and see how well it works.

This doesn't have anything to do with AI. All words (sounds actually) are stored in a place which allows the machine to compare them to pre-recorded sounds and take appropriate response. Exactly like a smart phone app which "understands" speech.

Don't believe me? Try some slang or ethnic street language in a "normal" neighborhood and see how well it works.
Well, considering that headline was written by someone at Fortune magazine, my guess is they and most of their readers don't fully appreciate, or simply don't care much about the difference. To them, your statement probably seems like it's splitting hairs.

Well, considering that headline was written by someone at Fortune magazine, my guess is they and most of their readers don't fully appreciate, or simply don't care much about the difference. To them, your statement probably seems like it's splitting hairs.
Yep! "AI" has become the new buzzword perhaps replacing "EV".

An aspect of this is government regulations on labeling of a food, and labeling of volume and weight. I've noticed the surprisingly light weight quart of ice cream. At the grocery store the effort to manipulate the shopper is on full display.

Vamping on, the local Giant grocery store here has one side of the entire length of an aisle dedicated to ice cream and frozen goodies, perhaps 35 linear feet of it! This is where you hear children practicing politics and negotiation.

Last edited:
An aspect of this is government regulations on labeling of a food, and labeling of volume and weight. I've noticed the surprisingly light weight quart of ice cream. At the grocery store the effort to manipulate the shopper is on full display.
That's not because of government regulation. That's because of "shrinkflation":

Back
Top Bottom