• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WELI turns on 96.9 translator

I'm searching on Radio-Locator and can't find a 96.9 translator for WELI. Where is it? What is its call? How much area does it cover? You'd think the station would have been noted with a "CP" designation well before it signed on, wouldn't you?

Call sign appears to be W245DK with 215 watts directional.

Thanks. I can't hear it in my Meriden apartment, will check for it on the car radio in a few minutes. There's no coverage map on Radio-Locator yet, but I would imagine it's protecting 96.7 to its south and west, primarily.

I was in New Haven today and heard it loud and clear up I-91 right into Wallingford, when it started to get flaky. So I'm on the fringe here; car reception only.

I just checked (6:15 pm 2/6) and, if you go to Fybush locator, it isn't up yet. I googled W245DK and there it was, yep 215 watts. The status shows "Currently Off the Air." Height Above Ground Level - 551 ft., Height Above Sea Level 1194 ft. Directional. They must still be doing some work.

How did this fly under the radar for so long? Usually Radio-Locator has CPs for translators listed long before they go on the air.

I'm searching on Radio-Locator and can't find a 96.9 translator for WELI. Where is it? What is its call? How much area does it cover? You'd think the station would have been noted with a "CP" designation well before it signed on, wouldn't you?

Same happened to me. Google it and it comes right up. The info is further down the thread. It must be a work in progress.

More reception notes:

The plaza where Michael's is in Southington that overlooks Route 229 and I-84 it was staticy, but listenable on the car stereo.

Pilgrim Furniture on Graham Place in Southington near Crystal Bee's and BJ's Wholesale Club crystal clear.

Stop and Shop Plaza Pine Street Bristol (Forestville). Very Staticy. Can hear what was being said, but unlistenable.

More reception notes:

The plaza where Michael's is in Southington that overlooks Route 229 and I-84 it was staticy, but listenable on the car stereo.

Pilgrim Furniture on Graham Place in Southington near Crystal Bee's and BJ's Wholesale Club crystal clear.

Stop and Shop Plaza Pine Street Bristol (Forestville). Very Staticy. Can hear what was being said, but unlistenable.

Are these reports on the New Britain LP or the WELI translator?

WELI translator. I also heard a TOH ID. No call sign given for 96.9. It said something to the affect of NewsRadio 960 WELI New Haven and now on 96.9 FM New Haven.

It's probably done through frequency shift keying. 91.9 never IDs in voice as W220CE either. For that matter, neither does the other 91.9, W220CH in West Hartford. Usually the ID is just WMNR Monroe, WGRS Guilford, WRXC Shelton, WGSK South Kent. Sometimes a couple of Long Island or southern Connecticut translators get a frequency-only mention, but never Middlefield or Hartford. But since the FCC requires an ID from every one of those transmitters, rest assured that it's being sent, just not in a way that ordinary radio users can detect it.

It's probably done through frequency shift keying. 91.9 never IDs in voice as W220CE either. For that matter, neither does the other 91.9, W220CH in West Hartford. Usually the ID is just WMNR Monroe, WGRS Guilford, WRXC Shelton, WGSK South Kent. Sometimes a couple of Long Island or southern Connecticut translators get a frequency-only mention, but never Middlefield or Hartford. But since the FCC requires an ID from every one of those transmitters, rest assured that it's being sent, just not in a way that ordinary radio users can detect it.

I guess I'm just used to hearing the translators being ID'd hourly from listening to Kool Radio, Bomba-FM, Oldies 98 (Long Island), and Valley 98.9 (Salem, NH).

Example: Kool Radio: WNTY and W241CG Southington.
Example: Kool Radio: WACM and W261DD Springfield.
Example: Oldies 98 Long Island: WPTY HD2 Calverton-Roanoke. W251BY Patchogue.
Example: Valley 98.9: WMVX Salem. W255DA Salem.

THose translators only have to be ID'd 3 times a day or thats the way it used to be.. 7 to 9am, 1pm and 4 to 5pm i think was when they were ID'd audibly

THose translators only have to be ID'd 3 times a day or thats the way it used to be.. 7 to 9am, 1pm and 4 to 5pm i think was when they were ID'd audibly

I hear the 1 p.m. ID often and it only includes the same two or three translators, the ones in southern CT or LI, never any of the outliers. If they did a 7 to 9 a.m. "full" ID, I haven't heard it lately. I'm at work when the evening drive ID airs. According to radio-locator, the Middlefield translator relays WGRS, not WMNR, but I can receive WGRS direct here and it never identifies itself first, just runs whatever WMNR is running at the time. It is a 100 percent simulcast.

Yesterday I helped my Mom bring a table to a consignment shop in the Maple Croft Plaza in Cheshire. While my Mom was there I had lunch at Subway. After Subway I went back to the car - 2010 Honda Civic and gave the FM Dial a spin.

96.9 W245DK New Haven the translator for WELI was staticy, but listenable.

Based solely on my reception of the 96.9 translator for WELI, I expected to get 100.9 The Beat from New Haven. Wrong. On 100.9, I got a very staticy signal from the 100.9 translator for WPOP Hartford. It had more static than the WELI transaltor.

There was also no sign of BOMBA 102.3 New Haven, though BOMBA 98.5 Meriden and BOMBA 99.5 Waterbury (COL Clinton) were both crystal clear.

98.1 was a mess. In the past depending what part of Cheshire I was in I would either get WQAQ Hamden from Quinnipiac or Oldies 98 a translator licensed to Patchogue, Long Island that relays WPTY HD2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom