• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

weekend talk shows that target younger males

T

this just in

There are lots of talk shows that target young males on the weekdays. Mancow, Don & Mike, Opie & Anthony, etc. But what about weekends? I know some stations run music, but what's if you wanted to be all talk? Any suggestions?

There are lots of talk shows that target young males on the weekdays. Mancow, Don & Mike, Opie & Anthony, etc. But what about weekends? I know some stations run music, but what's if you wanted to be all talk? Any suggestions?

The B.J. Ellis Show is the PERFECT option for younger males. Check it out. It does broadcast live from Memphis, but can also be streamed live by visiting the show's official website, www.bjellis.com. Archives are there as well. Check it out! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think...

InstrumentofTRUTH said:

The B.J. Ellis Show is the PERFECT option for younger males.

...HAH! If that show were food, I wouldn't serve it to a starving vulture...try Tom Leykis' "Tasting Room" or repeats of his Monday-Thursday shows instead...

InstrumentofTRUTH said:
...HAH! If that show were food, I wouldn't serve it to a starving vulture...try Tom Leykis' "Tasting Room" or repeats of his Monday-Thursday shows instead...

Why don't you enlighten us on what's so bad about it? It's amazing how morons confirm their idiocy by making judgments on things they know NOTHING about. Please prove me wrong...

...I'm listening right now to your archived September 30th show (the station you buy your time on, a one-lung AM White Gospel rimshot into Market #50, doesn't have any working live web feeds). The show is a dull, rambling dialogue between the two African-American hosts and a hand-picked telephone guest (not a single listener calling in!) whining about hip-hop popular culture. And you claim it's of the same league as Tom Leykis, Don & Mike or Adam Carolla? That must be some strong sour mash you're chuggin' there, pally...

And you claim it's of the same league as Tom Leykis, Don & Mike or Adam Carolla? That must be some strong sour mash you're chuggin' there, pally...

Absolutely. Who the hell are you? If it were soooo bad, then why can't I get ONE PD to tell me that verbatum? You seem slow, so I'll answer that question for you: Because NOBODY wants to be on record saying such a thing when someone becomes INTERESTED IN MAKING SOME MONEY picks the show up--and it becomes an INSTANT success!! That's why!

I love getting comments from white racists that show "their true colors"... Their LACK of taste and understanding is downright laughable. I know it is very frustrating that you can't SHUT a black guy up, or intimidate him. Find me a PD that is willing to put similar comments as yours on record, and then I'll consider them as fact. Until then, I will deem your comments as trashy as you seem to be.

There are a number of trash talking anonymous users around here. Then there are those of us who don't hide our identities. Naturally, the trash talkers accuse us of self promotion. And, I'm guilty as charged. ;D

I think they need to install the "ignore" add-in feature for SMF.

I've listened to some of your show, BJ. You seem pretty sharp. I don't presume to know much about your politics from the amount I listened to, but I suggest you examine Libertarianism a bit closer. I predict you'll see fairly quickly that one cannot support the constitution and also support Bush or virtually any other D.C. personality for that matter.

When you get a moment, you may find this path enlightening:
http://links.freetalklive.com

How long have you been hosting a talk show? The most important factor is that you keep at it. You likely already know better than to listen to the trash talkers. I wish you and your show the best.

InstrumentofTRUTH said:
NOBODY wants to be on record saying such a thing when someone becomes INTERESTED IN MAKING SOME MONEY picks the show up--and it becomes an INSTANT success!!

...oh? What specific stations are you claiming here? What ratings has your show ever drawn?...

Ultimajock said:
InstrumentofTRUTH said:
NOBODY wants to be on record saying such a thing when someone becomes INTERESTED IN MAKING SOME MONEY picks the show up--and it becomes an INSTANT success!!

...oh? What specific stations are you claiming here? What ratings has your show ever drawn?...

...hmmm...it's been a week and no effort to put his money where his mouth is...that speaks a lot louder than any claims Brother Ellis could possibly make...

I think you all got off topic. :-X

The point is, most stations that run Hot Talk, like the Free FM stations are jsut that....FM. They run music at night and on the weekends. But what's an AM Hot Talk station to do? Most of the weekend stuff is drivel....not like Leykis, Stern, O&A, Mancow, etc. It's boring and not a lot of attitude. Any suggestions?

I've never understood putting music anywhere on a talk station. If I were programming an AM hot talker I'd use my weekends for the following:

• Cultivation of new talent - Let station staff who want their own shows have some airtime to learn the ropes and develop on-air skills.
  • Select quality weekend special interest shows - Kim Komando, etc. If you're going to lose audience to music you might as well air some of the better standard AM weekend product live. At least the sales team can sell them.
  • Allow for brokered content, while not taking just anything. This could also reveal new talent for the future.
  • Refeeds of weekday shows as little as possible.
  • Finally, two live general interest talk shows I know I would add are Lionel (Sat 5-7p ET) and Free Talk Live (Sat 7-10p ET) on Saturdays.

FTL_Ian said:
I've never understood putting music anywhere on a talk station. If I were programming an AM hot talker I'd use my weekends for the following:

• Cultivation of new talent - Let station staff who want their own shows have some airtime to learn the ropes and develop on-air skills.
  • Select quality weekend special interest shows - Kim Komando, etc. If you're going to lose audience to music you might as well air some of the better standard AM weekend product live. At least the sales team can sell them.
  • Allow for brokered content, while not taking just anything. This could also reveal new talent for the future.
  • Refeeds of weekday shows as little as possible.
  • Finally, two live general interest talk shows I know I would add are Lionel (Sat 5-7p ET) and Free Talk Live (Sat 7-10p ET) on Saturdays.

You have a great post with great ideas, and I agree with you. However its simply cheaper for stations to run music overnights and have largely syndicated hosts throughout the day. Talk is an expensive format that costs money. Money that major corporations like CBS (owners of the FREE-FM stations) don't want to spend.

I dont know where the talented hosts of the future will come from. This is due to corporate consolidation of FM and AM radio, where instead of investing in finding new local talent, its cheaper to simply slap a syndicated show in place and replay the same tired Lynard Skynard tunes overnight.

While I agree that the artificially inflated values of radio stations have had devastating effects on talent and the industry as a whole, you're leaving out an important point.

Talk radio is cheaper or not any more expensive than music radio while billing higher. Talk makes more money than music radio, period. There are more elements to sell and ad time fits better on talk.

When I was posting earlier, I was presuming total control over the station, not programming under corporate rule. Even on a tight budget it's easy to allow staff to have shows and develop talent on the weekend: let them sell their own inventory and don't pay them. The ones who really love radio and entrepreneurial ones who want to make money will take you up on it.

In regards to syndication, it's quite useful as a talk station doesn't need to be all local to be a success. Having strong local anchor shows is important, in my opinion. However, syndication fills the gaps with "name" talent, and in many cases on the barter system, helping increase the all important bottom line. A bottom line which is pretty shallow due to artificial overhead thanks to the FCC.

Until the FCC is eliminated, the radio industry's ability to adapt in the market will continue to be hindered by strangling regulations. One of the consequences of government's manipulation of supply is a shortage, and therefore HIGH prices for station sales due to demand.

Without the FCC, new stations would be built and sold as the market would demand, keeping prices down for everyone. Plus, no more exorbitant FCC fees. Radio will be competitive to an extent it has never understood while under the "protection" of the FCC thugs.

Some existing broadcasters (FCC extortion and abuse victims) may balk at these ideas. Likely because they have developed a bout of Stockholm Syndrome for the FCC. They don't realize their "protectors" are in effect, a violent gang. When the gang extracts exorbitant "fees" from station owners, the money is not given to charities; it goes to enrich the gang.

If the radio industry somehow manages to throw off the parasite of the FCC, it will avoid a slow painful bleeding and eventual death at the hands of less regulated industries. Instead, it will reflexively adapt to the market and likely continue to live long and profitably.

Try talk103.com this Saturday Night from nine till midnight.

I enjoy Leo Laporte's "The Tech Guy" talk show on weekends. It's syndicated to a bunch of stations and heavily listened to on the internet. A lot of the listeners are ex-Tech TV viewers.

FTL-IAN said;
Talk radio is cheaper or not any more expensive than music radio while billing higher. WRONG - unless you are "all from the bird." GOOD talk radio is MORE EXPENSIVE - even after paying the music license fees.

FTL-IAN said; Without the FCC, new stations would be built and sold as the market would demand, keeping prices down for everyone. Plus, no more exorbitant FCC fees. Radio will be competitive to an extent it has never understood while under the "protection" of the FCC thugs.

To use your terminology, from the viewpoint of (me) a 25+ year owner of 4 stations and other broadcst stuff, the FCC is a quite NECESSARY "parasite."

Here's why; Prior to the fcc gettiing involved with covering breasts and stopping ignorant morons who say bad words, the FCC was started to sort out ENGINEERING issues. Example; That WABC had a signal 800 miles away in St. Louis that kept WEW (and a Denver station) from operating at night on 770, to establish "clear channels (not the company - the traditional definition of this), and to stop the anarchy of 10 stations all operating too close to one another on the same frequency.

Without some kind of regulation, radio and tv would be EVEN WORSE than they are now. The government is the best regulator of this stuff.

Just say, I LOVE broadcasting - but dislike liberals. WHO would then stop me from broadcasting OVER an Air America station- LOUDER than them? They are mostly on low power signals. I happen to be wealthy. It would be EASY to accomplish.

Also you said "the artificially inflated values of radio stations."

Those values are NOT any more artificical than selling anything for which a demand exists. There is LIMITED space on the dial. Some formats (like foreign language or religion) and locations (size of market) have a "limited number of clients." The formulas set to calculate a stations worth are quite generally accepted and have been for many years.

What is the worth of a funeral home, or a supermarket? I've owned radio stations, funeral homes and supermarkets. There are established ways to set values in all of these businesses.

It seems to me that "anarchy" is a criminal gang going around to transmitter owners and extracting money by force.

WHO would then stop me from broadcasting OVER an Air America station- LOUDER than them? They are mostly on low power signals. I happen to be wealthy. It would be EASY to accomplish.

Two answers: In a small government world (no FCC), homesteaded frequencies could be defended in government courts.
In a truly free market, homesteading rights could be enforced by private arbitration and a reputation rating system.

There is LIMITED space on the dial.

That was the FCC's decision, not the market's.

To use your terminology, from the viewpoint of (me) a 25+ year owner of 4 stations and other broadcst stuff, the FCC is a quite NECESSARY "parasite."

As I said, "some existing broadcasters will balk". Do you feel good when you cut checks to the FCC?

FTL_Ian said:
It seems to me that "anarchy" is a criminal gang going around to transmitter owners and extracting money by force.

WHO would then stop me from broadcasting OVER an Air America station- LOUDER than them? They are mostly on low power signals. I happen to be wealthy. It would be EASY to accomplish.

Two answers: In a small government world (no FCC), homesteaded frequencies could be defended in government courts.
In a truly free market, homesteading rights could be enforced by private arbitration and a reputation rating system.

There is LIMITED space on the dial.

That was the FCC's decision, not the market's.

As I said, "some existing broadcasters will balk". Do you feel good when you cut checks to the FCC?

http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5129

Consider the consequences for free speech if the government declared itself sole owner of all printing presses and licensed them to newspapers and magazines so long as they operate "in the public interest." That is precisely the system imposed on broadcasters.

The solution to this stifling nationalization of the airwaves is a systematic program of privatization. Broadcasters should function not by permission, but by right. They should be granted free-and-clear ownership of their frequencies, and Congress should create objective rules by which innovators can stake their claims on previously unused frequencies--a Homestead Act for the airwaves. The airwaves do not belong to "the public"; they do not belong to the government. Like all goods in a capitalist system, they should be privately owned. This would make possible a genuine free market in broadcast spectrum--and it would liberate the nation's broadcasters and telecommunications innovators from the arbitrary control of the state.

Bravo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom