• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WEEI to lose Cape Cod simulcast

And I'm going to come out and say it, because it bothers me: in so much of that spotlight specifically on Soros, there's a strong undercurrent of anti-Semitism. You may not mean it that way, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't, but I promise you it's there, and if this were a political site (which it isn't supposed to be) I could launch into more posts than you want to read about the known and loud anti-Semites who use Soros' name as a scare tactic to further their cause. It's not a pleasant time to be Jewish in America right now, and yes, my hackles get raised easily by stuff like this.

(Some of you know this, some don't - my wife's family came out of the Holocaust, at least the ones who survived. This is very personal to me, and if this were a political site, I'd be telling you about all of the echoes of 1938 Germany they see in 2024 America. I don't sleep well at night these days.)
There are a variety of things that those of us who are truly scared by the irrational and sick attitudes against Jewish Americans.

I've long been a supporter (that means "I send them money" and not "oh, that's a great group") of the Museum of Tolerance. They have outreach programs that show the evils of prejudice. Their outreach goes to schools and other groups. And their point is made by showing the Holocaust as well as the elimination of minority groups of faith ranging from Lenin to Pol Pot.

Museum of Tolerance There are similar organizations in a number of cities and countries.

While insuring that the color of one's skin is not a cause for discrimination, I find it can be even more evil to discriminate based on the nature of one's beliefs. It is a hard and formidable task for a "free" nation to allow freedom of speech when that liberty also protects the evil of religious and cultural prejudice and exclusion.

And I'm going to come out and say it, because it bothers me: in so much of that spotlight specifically on Soros, there's a strong undercurrent of anti-Semitism.

Years ago, without thinking about this, I suggested that a fix to healthcare costs in this country might be the building of a hospital(s) from the pockets of Soros. Someone on Facebook vehemently replied "Soros has NOTHING to do with health care", to which I responded "Well, why not? What's stopping him?"

I realized later that criticism of Soros is used as an anti-Semitic dog whistle. It's worth scrutinizing his investment in Audacy, not because I think he's going to attempt to micromanage radio programming (which he won't do any more than Bezos micromanages copy editing in the WaPo), but because I don't regard him as ignorant, which makes me wonder why he sees fit to invest in a company that managed to go bankrupt without making anything.

It's worth scrutinizing his investment in Audacy, not because I think he's going to attempt to micromanage radio programming (which he won't do any more than Bezos micromanages copy editing in the WaPo), but because I don't regard him as ignorant, which makes me wonder why he sees fit to invest in a company that managed to go bankrupt without making anything.
But Audacy went bankrupt due to buying the CBS stations for more than they were worth and getting huge loans.

The operation of the stations is profitable. They just did not make enough to pay the loans.

But Audacy went bankrupt due to buying the CBS stations for more than they were worth and getting huge loans.

The operation of the stations is profitable. They just did not make enough to pay the loans.

Ipso facto, not profitable. Audacy knew how much radio commercials sell for before they bought those stations. But, since they're a corporation, and not an individual, they can be as stupid as they want, and leave somebody else holding the bag.

That's the thing with this new Soros involvement: I didn't need for him to be involved to dislike Audacy and think they're a joke.

Ipso facto, not profitable. Audacy knew how much radio commercials sell for before they bought those stations. But, since they're a corporation, and not an individual, they can be as stupid as they want, and leave somebody else holding the bag.
Even the lenders thought the deal was good. However, they did not anticipate COVID and a sped up rate of conversion to streaming. No economic model contemplates such a "perfect storm" scenario.
That's the thing with this new Soros involvement: I didn't need for him to be involved to dislike Audacy and think they're a joke.
They are mostly good stations with good staffs in a difficult environment. ddddd

Even the lenders thought the deal was good. However, they did not anticipate COVID and a sped up rate of conversion to streaming. No economic model contemplates such a "perfect storm" scenario.
Why would lenders think that any deal is bad? They'll get bailed out without consequences anyway. It's employees who lose. In some cases, talented people at good stations simply gone because management got greedy.

Audacy has a learning disability. The stations they had weren't that great before they absorbed the CBS properties. The far superior iHeart couldn't hack it, what chance did they think they had?

Why would lenders think that any deal is bad? They'll get bailed out without consequences anyway. It's employees who lose. In some cases, talented people at good stations simply gone because management got greedy.
It's the other way around. Stations that are profitable on an EBITDA basis don't fire staff in a bankruptcy with reorganization... it's the lenders who take the legendary "haircut".
Audacy has a learning disability. The stations they had weren't that great before they absorbed the CBS properties.
Actually, Entercom was a pretty good operator when they took on the CBS operation.
The far superior iHeart couldn't hack it, what chance did they think they had?
The issue with Clear Channel was that the 2008-2009 recession hit and the buyers wanted out of the deal, but were forced to close when they knew the deal had gone bad because of the economy. Add in the impact on listening caused by the introduction of the smart phone and the huge decrease in PUR as shown in the "new" PPM survey methodology and you had a "perfect storm" for the radio economy.

WEEI meanwhile is "building their bench" by adding young Tyler Murray, They tweet (@WEEI):
"Tyler’s 1st series in the big leagues will be April 5-7 w/ @WillFlemming"

No word on the Cape station filling that job...not sure if they are running Sox this year.
May try them on my little HD portable which sometimes can pick up signals floating in from the Cape.

Wiki says: "On March 25, 2009 (though the changeover was originally announced for April ), WRZE flipped formats, becoming a simulcast of popular Boston sports radio station WEEI."
iHeart, then Clear Channel, got the former WRZE in 2014.

Not sure when iHeart's contract with Audacy officially expires...and here we are with the Red Sox season about to begin. The first game will be out in Seattle, with a 10 pm ET game vs the Mariners. Will it be on 96.3? Would any subtraction of Red Sox play by play occur suddenly during the season?

As of now 96.3 still running the WEEI network; signal floating up from the Cape to where I am in Beverly. Would iHeart want to save money by going with something else? Or would they consider a music format (...which one?) plus Sox games. WBOQ did that years ago with AC/classic hits plus Sox but later dropped and now they're K Love.

Speaking of WEEI, they will pick up ESPN again for events-only (Sun night baseball)
but remain w CBS Sports Radio now renamed
Infinity Sports Radio.
Still think that it's interesting that I think in all their time on air, Sports Hub 98.5 has yet to offer baseball play by play [including network "game of week" or playoffs]

WPRV in Prov drops Yanks..

Back
Top Bottom