• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

weather reports heard while in San Bernardino/Riverside counties (Calif)

Ok, yesterday I was on the way home from Loma Linda, CA, when I turned on the radio to get a weather report. I heard a forecast of somewhere around 100 degrees for today, courtesy of 590 KTIE San Bernardino. A few minutes later, I heard the forecast for the next few days, and it was supposed to be quite a bit warmer. That forecast came courtesy of 970 KNWZ Coachella, CA. (This was semi-normal groundwave DX.)

However, the night before last, I heard a forecast for yesterday, that, compared to what it has been like in southern California recently, it seemed like the temperatures would at least be SOMEWHAT comfortable. While I was staying in Redlands, using my Panasonic RQ-SW20 and Select-A-Tenna, I heard the low to mid 90s forecast for yesterday. The station: 1040 WHO Des Moines, IA. Reception was quite weak but I could clearly make out pretty much everything that was on the air.
Now, from El Cajon, CA, how would I reliably get that station at night, preferably at least as well as I did in Redlands? I do have a local 63-watt non-directional co-channel 1040 station about 10 to 12 miles west of me (not sure of EXACT distance), which I've noticed is running at reduced (5kHz or so) bandwidth (I'm guessing this is partially due to a local in Rosarito on 1030.)

> Ok, yesterday I was on the way home from Loma Linda, CA,
> when I turned on the radio to get a weather report. I heard
> a forecast of somewhere around 100 degrees for today,
> courtesy of 590 KTIE San Bernardino. A few minutes later, I
> heard the forecast for the next few days, and it was
> supposed to be quite a bit warmer. That forecast came
> courtesy of 970 KNWZ Coachella, CA. (This was semi-normal
> groundwave DX.)
>
> However, the night before last, I heard a forecast for
> yesterday, that, compared to what it has been like in
> southern California recently, it seemed like the
> temperatures would at least be SOMEWHAT comfortable. While
> I was staying in Redlands, using my Panasonic RQ-SW20 and
> Select-A-Tenna, I heard the low to mid 90s forecast for
> yesterday. The station: 1040 WHO Des Moines, IA.
> Reception was quite weak but I could clearly make out pretty
> much everything that was on the air.
> Now, from El Cajon, CA, how would I reliably get that
> station at night, preferably at least as well as I did in
> Redlands? I do have a local 63-watt non-directional
> co-channel 1040 station about 10 to 12 miles west of me (not
> sure of EXACT distance), which I've noticed is running at
> reduced (5kHz or so) bandwidth (I'm guessing this is
> partially due to a local in Rosarito on 1030.)
>

No idea. But it's nice that WHO still gets out that far sometimes!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom