• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDIA - Still Alive at 65!

Still Alive at 65! That is WDIA's current promotional slogan. I am not sure if it inspires confidence in the station's future but a 65th anniversary is definitely something for a radio station to celebrate.

And WDIA still sounds good. Very local and community focused in mornings and talk programming (blocks in late morning and late morning), music still sounds wonderful (how many stations still play 60s R and B like The Impressions, The Dells, and Jerry Butler?) and DJs have been added back to some dayparts after big cuts in the past several years. Bobby O'Jay morning show hasn't changed a bit. Stan Bell does a great nighttime oldies show and Stormy in the afternoons is clearly focused on the middle-aged female listener. Late nights and weekends are still primarily music-only without DJs including much of the All Blues Saturday. I still really miss the Davis Brothers and Captain Curtis Lee. I don't think the Sunday gospel programming has been touched. WDIA really has been burned by the PPMs, a perennial top 10 if not top 5 station until a few years ago, it was 16th in the latest Memphis ratings.

WDIA was an inspiration to me. Even though I grew up and live in Northeast Louisiana, when I was young, I could not wait until night time, to listen to WDIA.

My strong feelings for WDIA started with a trip to Memphis in 1990, that was long before internet radio of course. I have a few WDIA airchecks from the 90s and earlier 2Ks up on my page, wish there more out there especially from earlier decades.

I listened in the 80's and they were one hell of a station. They were mainstream Urban then and a little edgy with the music. I loved it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom