• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCTA 810AM Alamo,TN Dark?

Annnndddd theyre done. it is now DWCTA as of Monday

Looks like it was cancelled Monday 8/3/20. WCTA went on in October, 1983. Thirty seven years later, it's gone.

WCTA had several owners through the years. Mr. Williams acquired the station in 1997 for $119,933. Eighteen years later in October, 2015 the license was assigned to someone else in exchange for forgiveness of a $43,500 debt.

Looks like it was cancelled Monday 8/3/20. WCTA went on in October, 1983. Thirty seven years later, it's gone.

WCTA had several owners through the years. Mr. Williams acquired the station in 1997 for $119,933. Eighteen years later in October, 2015 the license was assigned to someone else in exchange for forgiveness of a $43,500 debt.

and as a directional daytimer, it came on pretty late in life too

Looking at the tower site on google street view, which has a good view.. i dont see any lights on the towers and 1/.4 wave for 810 would be talelr then the 200 ft thats required to paint and light. these towers dont look painted either. guess they must be under 200 ft.. so we dont have to worry about beacons going out on them

and as a directional daytimer, it came on pretty late in life too

Looking at the tower site on google street view, which has a good view.. i dont see any lights on the towers and 1/.4 wave for 810 would be talelr then the 200 ft thats required to paint and light. these towers dont look painted either. guess they must be under 200 ft.. so we dont have to worry about beacons going out on them

I was thinking the tower furthest from the street had a top beacon, as well as lighting about halfway up. I don't think they were ever painted. Counting tower sections and assuming they're 20 foot sections, it looks like 220 feet, maybe a little more.

And they're back on again with the same "format" as before and still with times of dead air during the day and on illegally at night. I can't believe they were able to get the license updated for more of this.

And they're back on again with the same "format" as before and still with times of dead air during the day and on illegally at night. I can't believe they were able to get the license updated for more of this.

just because theyre on doesnt make it legal, but they couldve also filed something recently and it hasnt shown up in the fcc database, the fcc isnt license delete happy

They were off when they were supposed to be on. Now they're on and they're supposed to be off!

I was able to check last night, and they were still on around 9:30 pm.

I take it that the D added to the call letters means the license is canceled and the station is supposed to be off permanently, but then why would there be a license to cover?

How are they able to do this without electricity? Did someone get the power turned back on?

I guess they finally paid the electric bill. It seems like they pay attention to things when they have to, like paying the electric bill, but not doing something about the dead spots or running into the night illegally, not to mention there being no real format.

I checked yesterday around 7:00 pm and again around 9:45 pm, and they were still on.

Where do you live in West TN? I'm just wondering how far out the signal is going at night.

Generator? Solar panels? "Borrowed" from a neighbor's line?
There is no way that I would loan them the use of my electricity for such a farce!

I guess they finally paid the electric bill. It seems like they pay attention to things when they have to, like paying the electric bill, but not doing something about the dead spots or running into the night illegally, not to mention there being no real format.
Again, as I have said many times on this thread, throwing good money after bad. But it seems like running any programming AT ALL would be illegal for them right now. They should just save the energy, and not run anything at night. But I have a feeling that there is no one at the switch there at any time.

Since the station license was not renewed, it was deleted by the FCC at the beginning of the month. Therefore, they are currently operating illegally. When the station was licensed, it was for daytime operation only. Therefore, any nighttime operation is also illegal.

There is no way that I would loan them the use of my electricity for such a farce!

Again, as I have said many times on this thread, throwing good money after bad. But it seems like running any programming AT ALL would be illegal for them right now. They should just save the energy, and not run anything at night. But I have a feeling that there is no one at the switch there at any time.

I think it was brought up earlier that the owner in Chattanooga was a lawyer and that they may be keeping the station on as a tax writeoff, so I wonder if they really know or care that the license has expired.

I'm guessing everything is automated, but somehow the timing is off on the equipment, which is what is causing the station to be running illegally into the night. I saw lights on in the building a few times but nobody there at the time except for the first time I talked to someone (Dave Colvett I think) when they first came back on in 2012.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom