• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCBS 88 be off air

J

Joylovepulse967

Attention, Cat's Whiskerers!

We've been informed that 50KW ND WCBS (AM) 880 New York will be taken off the air at 11PM EST Saturday night (11.16.2019) to perform antenna system adjustments. They will be done at or before 5AM ST Sunday morning.

Go crazy, everybody! ;-)

Attention, Cat's Whiskerers!

We've been informed that 50KW ND WCBS (AM) 880 New York will be taken off the air at 11PM EST Saturday night (11.16.2019) to perform antenna system adjustments. They will be done at or before 5AM ST Sunday morning.

Go crazy, everybody! ;-)

What is a “cat whiskerer”?

Would this affect WFAN-AM 660? Don't know if they're on the same tower. They do have the same site though.

Would this affect WFAN-AM 660? Don't know if they're on the same tower. They do have the same site though.

They are diplexed.

I believe that there is a second tower at the site. That tower can't handle both stations as there is no diplexer on that tower. Looks like WFAN may have won the coin toss if they remain on the air and WCBS shuts down.

Why would a cat trainer or whatever that is be interested in an AM station being off in the maintenance period?

Not sure why he chose that irrelevant link, but a cat's whisker (or cat whisker) refers to the fine wire that was run over the crystal of a crystal set to tune in radio stations in the very, very early days -- even before yours! -- so a cat's (cat) whiskerer would be a person who enjoys searching for radio signals.

Hey, at least he didn't send you to a homemade video, although one featuring a synthesized voice reading the following would have been more helpful than the irrelevant blurb about a book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_detector

Well, I know that the person who made that Facebook post is married to the anchor who does the 11pm-5am shift on Saturday night/Sunday morning. (I think he's referring to crystal radios?)

Not sure why he chose that irrelevant link, but a cat's whisker (or cat whisker) refers to the fine wire that was run over the crystal of a crystal set to tune in radio stations in the very, very early days -- even before yours! -- so a cat's (cat) whiskerer would be a person who enjoys searching for radio signals.

Obviously, a made-up term. I think "back in the day" we all made a crystal set as part of science class or an elementary electronics course.

There are thousands of articles about crystal sets online... but calling listeners "cat whiskerers" is a new one for me!

And I thought that RD was a cat video free zone.

Obviously, a made-up term. I think "back in the day" we all made a crystal set as part of science class or an elementary electronics course.

There are thousands of articles about crystal sets online... but calling listeners "cat whiskerers" is a new one for me!

And I thought that RD was a cat video free zone.

Maybe he meant "Cat Whisperer"......?

Sounds like an early term for DXers to me.

Maybe Jean Shepherd used the term? I suspect he had a cat whisker. My father had one. We tried to make it work with a crystal radio we built but couldn’t.

FYI while the station was off the air, it didn't take the night off. "The newswatch never stops!" They continued to cover the news on the radio.com app.

That shows just how important it is to stay on the air even if the transmitter is off. People are always listening online.
There will come a day in which the stream + HD2 will have more listeners than the AM

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom