• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCAU NBC 10 should have made these changes to its daytime lineup IMO

J

Jul

In the Mon-Fri schedule, why didn't WCAU move the 11 AM news to noon and air the jeff probst talk show at 11 AM and cancel The 10! show, which no-one watches? I'm puzzled by this. The talk show is going to get killed in the ratings by Action News, etc

How do you know that nobody watches the 10! show? Do you have proof that nobody watches that show. My guess that you do not have proof. WCAU is not the only station on the east coast that airs a newscast at 11am. Maybe they air their news at 11am because they feel they can't compete against WPVI and KYW at noon. I believe WBRE in Wilkes-Barre still airs their "midday" news at 11am. What does you think? Why or why not?

Actually the 10! show is coming to an end:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...w-after-8-years-Last-broadcast-is-Friday.html

IMO, what hurt the 10! show the most is when it was no longer shown at 10am because of the Today show expansion, and when it moved to 11/11:30 up against The View, and when it was closer to lunch and no longer AM for most people.

As far as 10am, WPVI used to lead with local programming, however, I can't see WPVI dropping Rachael Ray since WABC and WTVD, the other east coast ABC O&Os also carry her; but WPVI was stronger with 'AM Philadelphia' at 10am.

Most in Philly likely would have preferred 10! to 10am as one hour, instead of the 4th hr. of Today with Kathie Lee & Hoda, perhaps followed by 'Access Hollywood Live' at 11. But NBC likely wouldn't go for the 4th hour of Today with Kathie Lee & Hoda not being cleared in Philly.

ding12 said:
But NBC likely wouldn't go for the 4th hour of Today with Kathie Lee & Hoda not being cleared in Philly.

Also - this might be more out of principle. If an O&O won't clear it, it gives affiliates a bargaining chip out of clearing it as well.

On thought, WPVI could launch 'AM Philadelphia' again or a comparable lifestyle AM show since 10! won't be around. If it did, it could relinquish Rachael Ray to KYW. KYW could run Anderson at 9 followed by Rachael at 10, and have a stronger AM lineup on its end.

But since KYW's lineup is mostly full, then 'Let's Make A Deal' or 'The Doctors' would have to migrate to WPSG.

Of course, the chances are slim, but such has been done.

'Rachael Ray' is anyways a CBS Television Distribution show, and her syndicated numbers haven't been so hot that it is a must carry show for WPVI.

Let's Make a Deal is a network program so you just can't move it without having some explaining to do CBS. Doctors would have a better chance of being moved since that is a syndicated show. Rachel Ray is a different animal though. CBS is the syndicator of the show but it's produced by ABC and encourage their O&Os especially to clear it. In fact I believe WLS in Chicago is the only ABC O&O that doesn't carry it and Live with Kelly. Ironically they produce their own morning show.

'Rachael Ray' isn't produced by ABC. 'Live with Kelly and Michael' on the other hand is produced by ABC. However, in some markets the Fox O&O clears the show. So, ABC as syndicator has gone with the Fox O&O clearing it over the ABC affiliate, which I find somewhat interesting.

Back on Philly, it's know it's unlikely WPVI will ever veer away from WABC in lineup programming since ABC likely wants to keep them aligned for whatever reason. Even though some things can work better on WPVI including local AM programming and 4pm news, and the two markets are different in general.

Yeah, it'd be more of an issue moving LMAD to WPSG, but CBS owns both stations. I remember NBC's game show Concentration appearing on one of the UHF stations WTXF in the past. I think the ratings on LMAD are poor, but I haven't followed it extensively.
---
Speaking of Rachael Ray:
Rachael Ray still has Harpo as Production, but she didn't guest appear with Oprah on her final season, anytime after Rachael went syndicated really, or appear on OWN, or her magazine as far as I know. I wonder if the two ladies are just keeping their agreement but just for business purposes.

The reason why I think WCAU pulled the plug of the 10 show is because the ratings were poor, I think.

Jefferson Ward said:
How do you know that nobody watches the 10! show? Do you have proof that nobody watches that show. My guess that you do not have proof. WCAU is not the only station on the east coast that airs a newscast at 11am. Maybe they air their news at 11am because they feel they can't compete against WPVI and KYW at noon. I believe WBRE in Wilkes-Barre still airs their "midday" news at 11am. What does you think? Why or why not?

My opinion that no one watched the 10 show is based on the move to make it 30 minutes. After the debacle of having only 1 person in the audience in one of the hour long episodes, my guess is the execs wanted to cut losses. Maybe the 30 minute episodes rated worse, so they dropped it altogether.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom