• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCAP off the air

WCAP Lowell has had it's share of transmitter and antenna system issues over the past few years. They reportedly have been a low power for a few years and now off the air completely this week but still offering programming on their web stream. Could this be the end of another local AM? If they do get back on the air could this be the time as someone has said before "Cue the Cambodian music"?

WCAP was on the air when I happened to be up in the Merrimack Valley on Sunday night, I was coming through Haverhill, Methuen, Lawrence, etc... (but not Lowell itself), and it was VERY weak. Even in those areas that close to Lowell it wasn't overcoming the skywave from WOFX Troy, NY, it was fighting with it, and often losing.
WCAP was running their automated "Beatles and Before" oldies format that runs late nights and whenever else they don't have locally produced or bought-time shows on.

anyone see a STA filed?
They are not off the air by choice. The poorly maintained transmitter died. A Harris MW5 has a fried PA transformer and a back up old 1 kw transmitter from their old 1 kw daytimer days does not work. Thats what I saw on a Facebook discussion.

They are not off the air by choice. The poorly maintained transmitter died. A Harris MW5 has a fried PA transformer and a back up old 1 kw transmitter from their old 1 kw daytimer days does not work. Thats what I saw on a Facebook discussion.
Could have died due to excessive VSWR (or reflected power) from a poorly maintained or grounded antenna or transmission line, possibly leaking.

Stick a fork in them, they are IMHO done

Wasn't there some issue with their tower rent a while ago?

They have been on low or reduced power on and off, mostly on for a long time

They manage to cover their C.O.L. and that is it.

It's hard to generate ad dollars in such a limited selling area

and there are only so many people willing to do leased time to such a small audience.

They blew it when they did not get their hands on a translator, look at Costa-Eagle (WLLH and others) they have done very well, all things considered, by acquiring and using translators

Last time I listened to WCAP was during the Lowell High School renovation versus new building debate. They also had decent coverage of the Lawrence Mayor campaign during the Rivera versus Lantigua runs (both first and second). I'm not am avid AM radio listener, but it is in my presets along with WBZ-AM, WGIR-AM, WINS and WCBS (for when I could get them at night) and a couple of the music stations.

From searches--Lawrence's Rivera won a second term in Nov of 2017 beating ex mayor Lantigua. A June 2017 Bos Globe article mentioned vote on. relocation of Lowell High to Belvedere section.

Last time I listened to WCAP was during the Lowell High School renovation versus new building debate. They also had decent coverage of the Lawrence Mayor campaign during the Rivera versus Lantigua runs (both first and second). I'm not am avid AM radio listener, but it is in my presets along with WBZ-AM, WGIR-AM, WINS and WCBS (for when I could get them at night) and a couple of the music stations.
This. 💯 % this. I don’t get why some people still simp for them. I’ve heard stories from former people who worked there in the past few years. One guy told me that one of the talents, Ryan Johnston, who does weekends on the Sports Hubs, is crazy and has a violent temper. Another guy, they called “the Colonel” would walk in the studio and bark orders On Air. I still can’t believe a place like that exists.

This. 💯 % this. I don’t get why some people still simp for them. I’ve heard stories from former people who worked there in the past few years. One guy told me that one of the talents, Ryan Johnston, who does weekends on the Sports Hubs, is crazy and has a violent temper. Another guy, they called “the Colonel” would walk in the studio and bark orders On Air. I still can’t believe a place like that exists.
Just for clarification, are you saying that I was the one being a simp? If so, remembering it being the only non-print place that covered two Merrimack Valley topics, and that I enjoyed listening to the coverage, isn't really going out of my way to be submissive. Going by racoonradio's post, I'm saying that I listened for two specific reasons, four years ago, then kept it in my presets after. Maybe something new from that region would be of interest to me. Same reason I keep WBZ for Boston coverage, WCBS and WINS for New York (when I can pick them up), and WGIR for New Hampshire. If I was on here crying that it was off the air, then have at it (as it's a fair observation).

Now if I misunderstood, I apologize for that. No harm, no foul either way. Just wanted to reply if I was reading your statement accurately.

As for the air staff, I don't think many people know much of the inside issues. I know I didn't until your post. It's not like it's Matt Segal on WXKS-FM. Or the issues with a show like Opie & Anthony. It's a small AM station serving a specific area in the state. Now that you bring it what has been said, if true, I would agree that it's less favorable of a station to follow.

Stick a fork in them, they are IMHO done

Wasn't there some issue with their tower rent a while ago?

They have been on low or reduced power on and off, mostly on for a long time

They manage to cover their C.O.L. and that is it.

It's hard to generate ad dollars in such a limited selling area

and there are only so many people willing to do leased time to such a small audience.

They blew it when they did not get their hands on a translator, look at Costa-Eagle (WLLH and others) they have done very well, all things considered, by acquiring and using translators
No tower rent they own the site. However one of the problems they have is the site keeps getting flooded by beavers. Environmental laws prevents them from evicting the beavers. You would think being a federally licensed facility, the requirement to put out a signal within licensed parameters would allow an exception with the beavers.

The problem is trying to fix a 50-year-old transmitter that the manufacturer hasn’t supported for at least 35 years, and whose parts are made from “unobtanium.” Never mind the fact that this particular model was prone to catching fire.

Even for shoestring operations, there does come a time to put a pry bar in the wallet and upgrade. A solid-state transmitter would not only keep them on the air but would also cut the power bill substantially.

The problem is trying to fix a 50-year-old transmitter that the manufacturer hasn’t supported for at least 35 years, and whose parts are made from “unobtanium.” Never mind the fact that this particular model was prone to catching fire.

Even for shoestring operations, there does come a time to put a pry bar in the wallet and upgrade. A solid-state transmitter would not only keep them on the air but would also cut the power bill substantially.
The Harris MW-5 was purchased and installed in 1980 when they increased power. A 41 year old box that only in the last few years Gates Air (after Harris spun off the broadcast division) will not support. Gates Air discontinued even selling AM transmitters a few years ago. The backup Bauer may be over 50 years old. The antenna array is too unstable for a solid state transmitter I hear. Newer transmitters are less forgiving than older tube gear was with VSWR issues.

It's good they are able to purchase a new transmitter, perhaps with the "assistance" of insurance and /or National Grid. However there are more postings under the "rectifiers?" post on bostonradio.org (above) indicating the Lowell Sun article is not accurate:

FYI: WCAP on road to resolving "catastrophic" transmitter failure

Guess i still dont understand Why do people like to put WCAP down? Can someone on here explain why?

Ted Panis-Ok i enjoy listening to him im not politically agree with some of Ted's Trump viewa, but him and Alex arent wrong on a lot of things. Millennials need to toughen up and understand that theres a world out there that wont always cator to them Merrimack valley Morning Show just likes to expose these fallacies Uncoachable children become unemployable adults and the guys are just calling out the virtue signaling There just pointing out the obvious

Ryan Johnstone-Yeah i guess he is prone to angry tempers towards his production staff many whom have a disability but they need to pay attention to Ryan more otherwise there fired Ryan has standards and i like him on the sports hub show

Curnel Sam- served in war and puts up with a lot of bad people kept WCAP on air for a long time and makes lots of money i think that people dont like him because jealousy

WCAP is now back on the air sorry to all of the pwple who want them to fail

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom