• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZ Network News Shuffle/Adjustment Has Begun?

I don't think it stipulates a "TOH News" affiliation. And, I don't think Entercom had time to enter into such a contract, as they ran the station for about 2 seconds before iHeart got it.

Entercom agreed to carry CBS TOH news on all the former CBS stations that carried it under CBS ownership. That agreement was passed on to iHeart. So the agreement Entercom made with CBS will be continued by iHeart. But iHeart will also add NBC News Radio content to WBZ. And apparently they will honor a previous agreement made with ABC.

WBZ doesn't seem to need, or "eat up" a lot of CBS Network Content

But in addition to the CBS affiliation, they also had an affiliation with ABC Radio News. So they obviously wanted access to lots of content. Using it is another story. They don't have to carry feature programs, like the ones you listed. Those exist as "value added" for full network affiliates. CBS and ABC also offer long form specials and long form breaking news reports. But AFAIK, there is no obligation to carry them. Each station handles their affiliation as they see fit.

Entercom agreed to carry CBS TOH news on all the former CBS stations that carried it under CBS ownership.

If they did, OK, but since WBZ doesn't air the TOH newscasts (except the rare instance when the newsroom is not staffed), the subject is rather moot.

Plus, not all contracts are assumed by the new owner.

But in addition to the CBS affiliation, they also had an affiliation with ABC Radio News. So they obviously wanted access to lots of content.

I don't think they got the affiliation for "access to lots of content". As it means very little to them.

I think they became an affiliate for "access to network compensation". ;-)

As compensation is what is driving everything in radio now.

I don't think they got the affiliation for "access to lots of content". As it means very little to them.

I think they became an affiliate for "access to network compensation". ;-)

Maybe...the NBC Radio News deal is an iHeart deal, so there probably isn't any compensation there. And as I said, WBZ will do what they're required to do under the contract they signed with Entercom.

iHeart runs stations differently than CBS. That may be the understatement of the month. So what WBZ did with network content under CBS may not be what iHeart does moving forward.

Maybe...the NBC Radio News deal is an iHeart deal, so there probably isn't any compensation there.

or maybe a renue sharing agreement....you never know.

And as I said, WBZ will do what they're required to do under the contract they signed with Entercom.

Thank you for assuring me they will follow the contract. (I'm relieved, I needed your assurance!) ;-)

Like I said, not all contracts are assumable.

or maybe a renue sharing agreement....you never know.

Revenue sharing? You mean with the station? No. iHeart is doing the sales, NBC News is providing the content. Any rev share is between iHeart and NBC News.

Like I said, not all contracts are assumable.

WBZ was not a traditional sale, but a required spin-off. So in this case, the agreement Entercom made was assumable. And truthfully, it's not a bad requirement. It's not exclusive, and so iHeart can still add some NBC News material in as well. As I said, the way they're doing it is putting local tags on network reports. On a given day, you may hear three big networks on the same station.

Any rev share is between iHeart and NBC News.

Well, 1.) iHeart owns the station. 2.) You don't know the agreement they have with the local station. It could be as simple as a chargeback credit on a balance sheet....esp since they are the same company.

WBZ was not a traditional sale, but a required spin-off. So in this case, the agreement Entercom made was assumable.

This is not necessarily true. A "required spin-off" does not dictate everything was assumed

Well, 1.) iHeart owns the station. 2.) You don't know the agreement they have with the local station. It could be as simple as a chargeback credit on a balance sheet....esp since they are the same company.

The agreement is similar to the one they had before with CBS News. "We own you, so you will carry this."

This is not necessarily true. A "required spin-off" does not dictate everything was assumed

Part of that is true. They didn't assume the union contract. But other aspects, including use of the call letters, temporary use of the studio, and use of CBS news were assumed. Those things were spelled out in the CBS-Entercom contract, and carried over to iHeart.

The agreement is similar to the one they had before with CBS News. "We own you, so you will carry this."

1.) We don't know what things the new company will require them to carry.

2.) You don't know how the money is accounted for....and I doubt WBZ is giving up inventory without getting something for it. (Even if it's a chargeback or credit for "inventory given to the Network".)

Part of that is true.

That's why I said "not necessarily".

Last edited:
1.) We don't know what things the new company will require them to carry.

Actually we do. That's what this thread is about. "Adjustment Has Begun." As noted earlier, they are required to air NBC News Radio.

2.) You don't know how the money is accounted for....and I doubt WBZ is giving up inventory without getting something for it. (Even if it's a chargeback or credit for "inventory given to the Network".)

What we know is they're getting custom reports from NBC News Radio. That's a bonus that most affiliates don't get. Another custom feature they're probably getting is access to NBC News reporters for live interviews during the morning news block.

Read the first posts in this thread. They hadn't carried NBC News prior to the sale, had they?

You said they were "required to air NBC News Radio."

We know they DO air some NBC news radio product....but we don't know that they are required to.

Unless you have a source.

The deal is they will "Provide access" Does not mean they are required to carry it.

Let me say this again: They ARE carrying it now, and they didn't carry it before the sale. The ONLY thing that's changed is ownership. Do the math.

I haven't said anything about being required to carry spots. That's all from you. My point, and it's been confirmed by people who listen to the station, is they're running the content.

Let me say this again: They ARE carrying it now, and they didn't carry it before the sale.

Let me say this again: They carried a couple of reports does no mean they are required to carry it.

I haven't said anything about being required to carry spots. That's all from you. My point, and it's been confirmed by people who listen to the station, is they're running the content.

Some content has appeared in actualities and reports. Does not mean they are required to carry/air the programming.

The network cares about (i.e...requiring) the spots clearing....not that you are airing the content.

Some content has appeared in actualities and reports. Does not mean they are required to carry/air the programming.

You're parsing words here. They're not doing it out of love or admiration, and it's not an accident. It's being done for the same reason they carried CBS. Whatever that word is, that's why they're doing it. And the station is NOT getting paid to carry NBC News content.

Their loud " i Heart " ads for their radio app really cheapens WBZ's all news format. Makes it sound like a loud rock station instead of an all-news station.
The hands Budweiser and Bufferin Time Salesmen at work again from iHeart.

Their loud " i Heart " ads for their radio app really cheapens WBZ's all news format. Makes it sound like a loud rock station instead of an all-news station.
The hands Budweiser and Bufferin Time Salesmen at work again from iHeart.

If they're too loud for you, turn down your radio.

You're parsing words here. They're not doing it out of love or admiration, and it's not an accident. .

I never said they were doing anything out of love or admiration.

It's being done for the same reason they carried CBS. Whatever that word is, that's why they're doing it. .

If "doing it" refers to airing a couple of actualities or an occaisional report from NBC News radio. Yes, they are doing it.

However, they are not "required to do so".

And the station is NOT getting paid to carry NBC News content

No, they are getting paid to carry NBC New radio SPOTS. Could be as simple as a chargeback or credit on a budget spreadsheet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom