• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBTS-LP signal

I have been receiving WBTS-LP on channel 60.5 since December with a fairly good signal. Since Thursday, I have been also receiving the station on WBTS-Lp on channels 8.1, Telemondo on 8.2, Cozi on 8.3, and TeleXo on 8.4, altghough the signal is only moderate with some occassional breakups. Did the station have a change in power or signal pattern? According to Wikipedia, it's low power at 11.5 kw from the WBZ tower in Needham. I'm located between Providence and Attleboro. Anyone else notice any change in reception lately? Would this have anything to do with the fact that WMFP (ch 62.1, 62.3, 62.4, and 60.5) is going off the air next year due to the spectrum auction and NBC Boston might upgrade WBTS-Lp on DTV 46 (8) to full power?

I have been receiving WBTS-LP on channel 60.5 since December with a fairly good signal. Since Thursday, I have been also receiving the station on WBTS-Lp on channels 8.1, Telemondo on 8.2, Cozi on 8.3, and TeleXo on 8.4, altghough the signal is only moderate with some occassional breakups. Did the station have a change in power or signal pattern? According to Wikipedia, it's low power at 11.5 kw from the WBZ tower in Needham. I'm located between Providence and Attleboro. Anyone else notice any change in reception lately? Would this have anything to do with the fact that WMFP (ch 62.1, 62.3, 62.4, and 60.5) is going off the air next year due to the spectrum auction and NBC Boston might upgrade WBTS-Lp on DTV 46 (8) to full power?

There are no recent changes filed for WBTS on the FCC site. They will have to shut down or move to a lower channel when the frequency is needed by the spectrum purchasers, so upgrading now, even if allowed, would probably not be cost effective.

There are no recent changes filed for WBTS on the FCC site. They will have to shut down or move to a lower channel when the frequency is needed by the spectrum purchasers, so upgrading now, even if allowed, would probably not be cost effective.

It looks very much like WBTS will be channel sharing on the full power signal of WGBX - Low power WYCN-CD, Nashua, has reach a channel sharing agreement with WGBX, which will give WYCN full market coverage. However, part of the legal agreement states that WYCN will be purchased by NBCU.

Link to FCC site:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f915f0d91b4015f313843344e3a

Quote from page 3:
NBCU Boston and/or one of its Affiliates shall have completed its puchase of Sharee's Station or substituted another station which NBCU Boston may elect at its sole discretion, and NBCU Boston and/org one or more of its Affiliates shall have received an assignment of Sharee's rights under this Agreement;

This can easily replace both the current WBTS-LD signal, and their channel sharing as 60.5 on WMFP, soon to shut down.

WYCN uses virtual channel 13, which will somewhat overlap WGME in the Portland market. If the FCC is OK with this, they might allow them to continue to use channel 8 with similar overlap of WMTW, Portland.

Last edited:
It looks very much like WBTS will be channel sharing on the full power signal of WGBX - Low power WYCN-CD, Nashua, has reach a channel sharing agreement with WGBX, which will give WYCN full market coverage. However, part of the legal agreement states that WYCN will be purchased by NBCU.

Link to FCC site:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f915f0d91b4015f313843344e3a

Quote from page 3:
NBCU Boston and/or one of its Affiliates shall have completed its puchase of Sharee's Station or substituted another station which NBCU Boston may elect at its sole discretion, and NBCU Boston and/org one or more of its Affiliates shall have received an assignment of Sharee's rights under this Agreement;

This can easily replace both the current WBTS-LD signal, and their channel sharing as 60.5 on WMFP, soon to shut down.

WYCN uses virtual channel 13, which will somewhat overlap WGME in the Portland market. If the FCC is OK with this, they might allow them to continue to use channel 8 with similar overlap of WMTW, Portland.

This is interesting and I never expected that NBC Boston would team up to channel share with WGBX - after all, it is a noncommercial station. And it brings about some other questions, too:

When will WMFP shut down?
What happens with WMFP's and WBTS's subchannels like Cozi, Telemundo, Charge etc.?
And when we change over to ATSC 3.0 and WGBX moves to channel 5, will the reception deteriorate?

I thought that WBPX would put NBC on one of their subchannels, and that seeing WGBX is noncommercial, that WYDN (which was also sold in the spectrum auction) would channel share with WGBX.

Looks like the spectrum auction is creating unexpected combinations, and the loss of some digital subchannels. The spectrum auction and its effect is like a TV program called "The Channel Has Changed".

This is interesting and I never expected that NBC Boston would team up to channel share with WGBX - after all, it is a noncommercial station. And it brings about some other questions, too:

When will WMFP shut down?
What happens with WMFP's and WBTS's subchannels like Cozi, Telemundo, Charge etc.?
And when we change over to ATSC 3.0 and WGBX moves to channel 5, will the reception deteriorate?

I thought that WBPX would put NBC on one of their subchannels, and that seeing WGBX is noncommercial, that WYDN (which was also sold in the spectrum auction) would channel share with WGBX.

Looks like the spectrum auction is creating unexpected combinations, and the loss of some digital subchannels. The spectrum auction and its effect is like a TV program called "The Channel Has Changed".

The stations going off the air and planning to channel share have until sometime in November to file their plans, and a few months before they must shut down.

WGBH is moving to channel 5, WGBX to 32.

Cozi and Telemundo could end up anywhere, and Charge may not find a home.

The stations going off the air and planning to channel share have until sometime in November to file their plans, and a few months before they must shut down.

WGBH is moving to channel 5, WGBX to 32.

Cozi and Telemundo could end up anywhere, and Charge may not find a home.

I stand corrected about WGBH and WGBX. And Charge may be "discharged". Thank you channel 99.

I stand corrected about WGBH and WGBX. And Charge may be "discharged". Thank you channel 99.

I'm just guessing on Charge. It could end up elsewhere, but probably independently of anything WMFP does. WMFP probably added it only to make a few $$ from it while their transmitter remains on. Some of the smaller diginets are doomed, because there just won't be enough room to fit them all in after the repack in enough markets.

It's all a blur really. Even NBC Boston ending up on the WGBX signal doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, only that NBCUniversal will own the shared channel, but that's most logical. NBC Boston needs to keep full OTA coverage of the market, or the politicians will probably get involved again. That had previously led them to adding 60-5, a temporary solution, since WMFP was even then known to want to sell their license and shut down. .

It's never over until it's over...

NBCU filed yet another change application last night. They want to move the full power WNEU (WBTS, Cozi, Univision, TeleXitos) from the current location in Merrimac, NH, to the "CBS" tower in Needham. This would be 650 KW ERP at 1300+ feet.

WNEU Application for Modification of Post-Repack Construction Permit
November 1, 2017
Engineering Exhibit
The purpose of this application is to request modification of post-repack construction permit (LMS file number
0000026884) for a broadcast facility on channel 29 for WNEU, Merrimack, NH, Facility ID 51864, licensed to
NBC Telemundo License LLC.
This application specifies a new transmitter site with Antenna Structure Registration No. 1003433, registered
to American Tower, LLC, located at 350 Cedar Street (#282685), Needham, MA, a different directional antenna
pattern with mechanical beam tilt, an increase in the effective radiated power (ERP) to 650 kW, a change in
the antenna center of radiation height AMSL to 416.7 meters, and a change in the height above average
terrain (HAAT) to 374.0 meters. The proposed facility places a Community Grade contour over Merrimack, NH
Wait until the New Hampshire politicians hear about this...

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f915f5883d0015f79e8eab712a5

NBCU filed yet another change application last night. They want to move the full power WNEU (WBTS, Cozi, Univision, TeleXitos) from the current location in Merrimac, NH, to the "CBS" tower in Needham. This would be 650 KW ERP at 1300+ feet.

WNEU Application for Modification of Post-Repack Construction Permit
November 1, 2017
Engineering Exhibit
The purpose of this application is to request modification of post-repack construction permit (LMS file number
0000026884) for a broadcast facility on channel 29 for WNEU, Merrimack, NH, Facility ID 51864, licensed to
NBC Telemundo License LLC.
This application specifies a new transmitter site with Antenna Structure Registration No. 1003433, registered
to American Tower, LLC, located at 350 Cedar Street (#282685), Needham, MA, a different directional antenna
pattern with mechanical beam tilt, an increase in the effective radiated power (ERP) to 650 kW, a change in
the antenna center of radiation height AMSL to 416.7 meters, and a change in the height above average
terrain (HAAT) to 374.0 meters. The proposed facility places a Community Grade contour over Merrimack, NH
Wait until the New Hampshire politicians hear about this...

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f915f5883d0015f79e8eab712a5

This change, in my opinion, would be the most logical and best one for the viewers. It would bring a powerful signal to the entire area (and to parts of the Providence area, too), and eliminate the need for the low power WBTS signal. The sooner the better in my opinion.

This change, in my opinion, would be the most logical and best one for the viewers. It would bring a powerful signal to the entire area (and to parts of the Providence area, too), and eliminate the need for the low power WBTS signal. The sooner the better in my opinion.

The can't move until the full channel repack his the Boston Market in a couple of years. However, WMFP, carrying the ch 60-5 WBTS, will be gone by spring. So they need The WYCN share on WGBX until then, to cover the major part of the market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom