• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBNX Fall 2022

Remember when OTA stations and specifically independent stations used to air movies? I guess that is a thing of the past.
The "Star Movie" complete with Gary Short's "Newsbreak 43" and the "Wall Street Journal Business Report". When "Jeremiah Johnson" or "The Bells of Saint Mary's" were considered major features?

Remember it and miss it. Lost with the TCM's, Grits and Movies! type channels is the linear timing (On WUAB it was almost always 9 pm to 11 pm)

Remember when OTA stations and specifically independent stations used to air movies? I guess that is a thing of the past.
WBNX still plays movies, though they are mostly ones that I have no interest in watching. I guess they can only air what's available to them, which isn't much.

WJW and even WEWS used to have their own movie blocks as well, but they slowly and quietly got rid off them over the years.

The "Star Movie" complete with Gary Short's "Newsbreak 43" and the "Wall Street Journal Business Report". When "Jeremiah Johnson" or "The Bells of Saint Mary's" were considered major features?

Remember it and miss it. Lost with the TCM's, Grits and Movies! type channels is the linear timing (On WUAB it was almost always 9 pm to 11 pm)
From 1988 (when the 10 O'Clock News first aired) until 1995 (when UPN and the WB signed on), WUAB had the Star Movie from 8-10p.

For the longest time, channel 43 would air 3 movies per weekday (Prize Movie in the afternoons, Star Movie in prime time, and Late Show late nights).

On Saturdays, you'd have Superhost with an hour of the 3 Stooges (plus a little Laurel and Hardy) and 2 sci-fi/monster movies from noon-4p, then regular movies at 4 and 8p. Sundays would have a twin bill in the afternoons.

WUAB's weekend bill was (Cleverly enough "The Weekend Movie".) Early on it repeated on Saturday and Sunday at 4. The earlier Sunday Movie was "The Family Movie". Unless they flip-flopped the Sunday Weekend Movie to one, but I don't remember for sure.

WEWS used to run a late night weekend movie (Friday - Sunday, I think). Can't say as I ever remember WKYC showing much movie wise other than the network fare. Channel eight may have done it more in its CBS days, but I really only remember a 4 pm movie into the late 1970's. They passed on CBS late night but it seems they mostly picked up syndicated things for those later hours.

(Pathetic nostalgia: I still miss when they had a single half-hour 11 pm newscast, versus the "Ed & Peggy Gallek I-team", and "weather up the wazoo" hour they fill at ten o'clock.)

Funny, as during the pandemic...I recall a few networks bringing back the prime time Movie Nights. (ABC I think, and possibly CBS). Apparently, America wasn't ready to re-embrace that nostalgia from the pre-millennial pasts.

Last edited:
Back in the day when most stations signed-off around 1:00 am, WJW channel 8 used to air 2 late night movies, one at 11:30 pm and another at about 1:30 am.

I hear ya, Northcoast. There is no need for a one hour newscast at 10:00 pm.

Back
Top Bottom