• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBBM 780 IBOC OFF TODAY -- CRYSTAL CLEAR AUDIO!

Noted IBOC hiss OFF on WBBM 780 today. Signal sounds amazing! Enjoy it while you can... Adjacent channels are clean too, for DXing.

No use hoping they will leave it off-- this is CBS. Probably just down temporarily for maintenance.

Unfortunately it's back already. I thought maybe we'd at least get a day or two of respite from the hiss.

It's also a real treat on the rare occassion when WBZ turns off the BuZz and uses the CQUAM back-up transmitter for nice full-bandwidth stereo night time coverage!

I did catch it this morning on the way home from work.

I tuned in up, and as I turned the knob, there was no deafening roar as I approached 780 :eek:.

Checked just now when I woke up and yep it's back.

Was nice to be able listen to WBBM again for a little while.

Even while it was off, I note their audio is still a bit a on the boomy side and wanting for some crispness.

WGN continues to have the best spectral balance of the 50 kw AMs in Chicago.
WLS would come next, followed by WSCR and finally WBBM.

After hearing WBBM clean, the next one I checked was WTMJ 620 Milwaukee, which is stll iboced and notably bad sounding.

The IBOC is like a power vampire, too. WOAI - about the last station I would think would shut it off - has been free of IBOC for at least a couple of months, and the signal is strong and almost like a local over Houston. Very from when they were running IBOC. The bandwidth is great, too, crystal clear audio. I know WBAP cared enough about their coverage to shut it off years ago. And they are pretty strong even in Houston, not as strong as WOAI, but listenable.

The thing about Chicago stations is that - I know a few decades ago they had listeners all over Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin. A source of news, information, and entertainment. Running IBOC probably abandons a lot of those folks because of the weakened signal. That is bound to translate into poorer building penetration in Chicago proper. I would think a prudent station would want as much power as they could get into buildings - shut off the blasted IBOC to get it.

When was the last time BZ ran C-Quam on the backup transmitter? I have tape of that from 2004 but hadn't noticed anything since so figured they either disabled the exciter or had a new backup without it installed.

Then again, the last time I noticed them without IBOC running I believe they were doing tower work and running from the studio backup (which I don't think ever had C-Quam) - that was quite a while ago (maybe a couple years).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom