• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBAI Struggles

This is what was posted January 8 today...doesn't seem like from a older discussion...

Today was the deadline for WBAI to respond to the ESRT lawsuit. Otherwise, the trust could begin seizing assets. I'm not seeing any information about this, but it's possible that the ESRT shut off power this morning, and was contacted by station management afterwards. That might explain why the station was off air this morning, but returned later today. As I posted in this thread, last Tuesday the Pacifica National Board approved application for two loans to cover outstanding debts.

99.5 has become my place to go to hear left wing viewpoints without all the hate and elitism. At times they sound more moderate than most Democrat congress-people! They sounded nuts 20 years ago. I don't think it's WBAI that has changed. Just look at the reaction to Roseanne before the show has even aired!

99.5 has become my place to go to hear left wing viewpoints without all the hate and elitism. At times they sound more moderate than most Democrat congress-people! They sounded nuts 20 years ago. I don't think it's WBAI that has changed. Just look at the reaction to Roseanne before the show has even aired!

WBAI used to be a bastion of progressive thought and conversation...today it is little more than opportunists peddling "healthcare" products. WBAI has certainly changed and not for the better.
You make a great point regarding mainstream media and their elitist attitudes. The media MADE the donald...built him especially for the amerikan sheeple they manipulate. (Isn't it rich to hear these media maggots talk about Russian "collusion??!!)
The main reason for keeping WBAI and other community radio stations is they offer media access to those who are traditionally denied access to the media. These opinions are not polished...they're not "mainstream"...but they're still valid and deserving to be heard and discussed intelligently.

Pacifica had better address the loss of younger listeners if they want to survive. My local community station has not a single soul under 45 years of age and I doubt they have more than a few kids listening.

Got that right, TVCOOL.

This all proves that you can't manage an enterprise as if it were a 60's hippie commune
and have something that is in any way viable.

What company, that's $8 million in debt, gets a loan for $2 million?

From what I've read, the loan came from the help of their members in Berkeley.

But although they're $8 million in debt, they have assets of over $50 million. So they can put those assets up as collateral.

Michael Anthony presented them with a check from an "anonymous benefactor".
John Beresford Tipton tried to adjust his normal gift for inflation,
but he is well into his years his funds have run low.
"The Millionaire"

It's kind of sad when you think about it. With all of the people and organizations in need in our world, someone donates to a radio station.

It's kind of sad when you think about it.
With all of the people and organizations in need in our world,
someone donates to a radio station.
Can you name one other cause that would benefit you
personally, directly, and continually, other than public radio and TV?

Can you name one other cause that would benefit you
personally, directly, and continually, other than public radio and TV?

St Jude's Children's Hospital to start. Healthy children - far more important than enabling gary nunn to peddle snake oil.I could name a million other more useful places to donate money.

From what I've read, the loan came from the help of their members in Berkeley.

But although they're $8 million in debt, they have assets of over $50 million. So they can put those assets up as collateral.

The story I read said that wealthy California listeners "passed the hat" and collected $2M for the purpose of paying off the Empire debt. It was also described as a "loan" but the terms were not included.
As you correctly point out, Pacifica has many resources which might serve as collateral for a traditional type loan but this seems to be at least a short term fix for WBAI with little downside.

far more important than...could name a million other more useful places to donate money.
More important and more useful were not on my list of three (3) requirements.
I tip service people who are overly helpful to me,
not because they adopt stray cats or are hungry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom