• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBAI Local Programming Ceases

The quote from the judge is him saying "Get me outta here!" The judge realized he's in the middle of a "lover's quarrel," a circular argument for which there is no end, where each side is demanding that the judge throw the other side in the clink. Except the charge is based on these corrupt by-laws, not any actual laws. Neither side is willing to blink.

All credit to the iED. Previous permanent EDs have faced the same circular argument, but they've quit. This guy ain't quitting. He's holding the signal hostage. He has the upper hand, and apparently the judge isn't going to force him to do anything. Maybe it's just me, but I see some parallels to the national political situation. As you suggest, they could make more money turning this into a movie that they could with an on-air begathon.

Yes sir! Well, I have the song for the movie - Re-Flex's Politics of Dancing - "I heard it on the airwaves. The politicians are now DJs. The broadcast was spreading. Station to station. Like an infection... Gotta get out of the way."

John's a true New Yorker. My vote and prediction would be with him. Most of the "staff" and "uhmanagement" is not. They think they can all play dirty little behind the boardroom games, but they are missing the entire situation right in front of them. I see your parallel on the national political situation, but I would say I would look at a different aspect than is uncanny and somewhat hidden. That is unintentionally referenced in the first sentence of this paragraph. Like it or not, the winner has already won the ED election. And he is from NY.

My guess is there is a divorce decree, eviction notice and the power company is on the way to cut off the power to the tower if they don't see things his way. After all, in 10/19, what does a NYC FM really matter in the scheme of the life to a iED running Pacifica? He probably has a better plan, if you know what I mean. After all it's the station he grew up listening too.

Last edited:
My guess is there is a divorce decree, eviction notice and the power company is on the way to cut off the power to the tower if they don't see things his way.

I see it a bit differently. The iED has access to money. He has WBAI's bank accounts. The employees don't. So he can pay the transmitter bill. But he doesn't have to pay the rent for the studio in Brooklyn. The one that the employees broke into on October 7. Today, the Brooklyn Borough President was seen leaving the court house where the judge made the quote in my earlier post. He is concerned about his constituents. He is concerned about a place of business in his borough. The transmitter and antenna are in Manhattan. That is not under his jurisdiction.

My question about the Brooklyn studio is: If someone broke into the studio on October 7th, why hasn't anyone been charged with breaking & entering?

Oh, I think we actually are pretty close in how we both do see it.

"The iED has access to money. He has WBAI's bank accounts." (Divorce Decree, or at least do it my way or get out...just waiting on the courts to tell him to go for it.)
"So he can pay the transmitter bill." (He is "the power company" and any missteps and he is on the way to cut off the power to the tower. Translation: he can put the thing off the air if they go rogue and/or put his own programming on against their wills.)
"But he doesn't have to pay the rent for the studio in Brooklyn. The one that the employees broke into on October 7." (Eviction notice. Get out and while your at it, Burn in Radio Heck.)

"My question about the Brooklyn studio is: If someone broke into the studio on October 7th, why hasn't anyone been charged with breaking & entering?"
The latter sentence is interesting and I think you are about to see the political side of this go into radio silence mode and a few soon to be indicted sudden criminal DJs Run Like Hell (Pink Floyd). On that note, who of these fine folks would be able to be on the air after this escapade if it had happened a few decades ago when those pesky little licenses were required?

My question is how do these "board members" get away with back to back meetings that did not have proper notice and even tried to hide meeting info? Would they not be in violation of the sane part of the Bylaws and be subject to removal or some form of criminal or at least neglect?

This chaos is getting even more insane. Why would these folks go to such lengths, BigA> Seriously, all my band jokes aside...why would anyone sacrifice so much for so little? It's not for the love of a radio station in NYC. This is getting way more sinister.

Last edited:
This article in RadioInk linked below reflects the management point of view.
But I believe the current status of WBAI as a relay for national programming may also be unsustainable. While Pacifica may save on rent and employee paychecks for WBAI (if the courts uphold management's efforts to dismiss the staff), the station will probably receive less donations, as listeners' favorite shows are gone. Perhaps the new programs could become popular with the station's audience, but that may take quite a while. Maybe some of the paid staff or volunteer programmers could be retained, if they agree to provide a few focused local shows that are compatible with the national programming.

From RadioInk: https://radioink.com/2019/10/22/the-battle-at-wbai-rages-on/

Last edited:
While Pacifica may save on rent and employee paychecks for WBAI (if the courts uphold management's efforts to dismiss the staff), the station will probably receive less donations, as listeners' favorite shows are gone. Perhaps the new programs could become popular with the station's audience, but that may take quite a while.

The existing audience of WBAI is so tiny that offending them is almost irrelevant. WBAI's needs different programming that attracts a broader audience, or at least one which is more generous with the checkbook.

WBAI had only $1.4 million in listener support in the year ending Sept. 30, 2017 according to Pacifica's official audit document. It also had expenses of about $600,000 beyond revenue that year.

For comparison, the classical station in Portland, OR earned almost $4 million in 2017.

Took a look at the recent tweets from @WBAI this morning. This one stuck out, retweeting a listener named Rachel:

@WBAI can't get there but I'm distraught over this loss. There must be millions of people like me who are having a tough time without WBAI. I carry my tote everywhere and the facts are the money was pointing up. Public good INDEED! Let's #fundraise #FreeSpeech

Millions? Where's my rolling on the floor laughing emoji?

According to RadioInk, Pacifica "Has launched a new initiative to save the station." It is called the Rebuild WBAI Plan. Pacifica states they are developing "new and improved local programming" that will help the station sustain itself.
The general manager of Pacifica's station in Washington D.C will be interim general manager of 'BAI. John Vernile, the Pacifica interim Executive Director that shut down the station, "Will be rebuilding WBAI's staffing and operations."
So apparently, rumors that his goal was to sell WBAI are false.

New and Improved WBAI: https://radioink.com/2019/10/28/pacifica-launches-the-rebuild-wbai-project/

Last edited:
Moderator. Link removed. Contains obscene / offensive language

all i see is a portrait of a guy i dont recognize with no background, no text.. whats the deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see an Instagram photo (looks more like a painting -- filter gimmick?) accompanied by obscene comments off to the side. No clue on his connection to WBAI, the comments look spiteful and ultrapersonal. Using Chrome browser here.

I see an Instagram photo (looks more like a painting -- filter gimmick?) accompanied by obscene comments off to the side. No clue on his connection to WBAI, the comments look spiteful and ultrapersonal. Using Chrome browser here.

I think the reference was to Gary Nunn

I think the reference was to Gary Nunn

Yes, the removed link referred to a listener who had painted a portrait of Nunn and gave it to him at an appearance at a health food store. Nunn allegedly refused the painting and criticized the use of colors, causing considerable sadness to the listener.

That's fine that Pacifica wants to find better local programming for WBAI. That could lead to an increase in donations. But are they in a financial position to fund it?

Check Your Spelling Before You Post!!

Yes, the removed link referred to a listener who had painted a portrait of Nunn and gave it to him at an appearance at a health food store. Nunn allegedly refused the painting and criticized the use of colors, causing considerable sadness to the listener.

it's NOT Gary Nunn, it's Gary NULL - and secondly, I give this quasi-WBAI two months....

WBAI had only $1.4 million in listener support in the year ending Sept. 30, 2017 according to Pacifica's official audit document. It also had expenses of about $600,000 beyond revenue that year.

They probably couldn't quit fighting with each other over how to conduct the pledge drive.

It's Null. Why was the link removed?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom