• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAVV sold

Well, the *lease* for 107.9 W300EF was part of the deal. Alpine does not own 107.9.
That makes the $8 million price tag, even more of a head scratcher. I'm Assuming this may include some real estate (transmitter site, and studio/office site?).
.What's certain is that the new owner didn't she'll out 8 mil to keep WAVV the same with it's Soft AC, and very poor 25-54 performance. Great signal, and power though, from that very tall tower.

Because WAVV's owner did not subscribe to the Nielsen Ratings, and I guess didn't encode the signal, we don't where it ranked. But for most of its history, WAVV was far and away the #1 station in Fort Myers. Of course, that was years ago. In the 1990s and early 2000s, it was 50% instrumental and 50% soft vocals, often by MOR artists. A few years ago, it made the transition to Soft AC, still softer than 106.3 WJPT, also listed as Soft AC.

Fort Myers Broadcasting also owns WINK-TV, Latin Contemporary WTLQ and AC WINK-FM. What will Fort Myers Broadcasting do with WAVV? 100,000 watts on an 890 foot tower. Not as good as WINK-FM (100 kw - 1500 ft.), but one of SW Florida's strongest FMs. Sad to see a station with WAVV's history likely change to just another contemporary format.

Fort Myers Broadcasting also owns WINK-TV, Latin Contemporary WTLQ and AC WINK-FM. What will Fort Myers Broadcasting do with WAVV? 100,000 watts on an 890 foot tower. Not as good as WINK-FM (100 kw - 1500 ft.), but one of SW Florida's strongest FMs. Sad to see a station with WAVV's history likely change to just another contemporary format.

Actually, I just checked WAVV's tower on the FCC database and their tower is actually at 315 meters. In other words, 1,033 feet (Googled it for conversion). Still, not as good as WINK-FM as you said, but it is very strong and much stronger than what you or I would've thought.

Reactions: drt
Actually, I just checked WAVV's tower on the FCC database and their tower is actually at 315 meters. In other words, 1,033 feet (Googled it for conversion). Still, not as good as WINK-FM as you said, but it is very strong and much stronger than what you or I would've thought.
One other thing in favor of WAVV- 101.1; their tower is more centrally located for listeners Ft. Myers/Bonita Springs/Naples, being in southern Lee county, as opposed to WGCU 90.1 and WINK-96.9 being in southeast Charlotte county. Up until and including 2018, I would attend a reunion in the Lely Resort area and was surprised that the WINK FM signal was not all that strong there. (zip code 34113) and WGCU's signal was abysmal , which is why I suppose the simulcast their HD1 and HD2 signal on 91.7, which was very strong in zip code 34113; of course that was four years ago, but I have no reason to believe the signal strength would have changed since then. WAVV came in very well in the Lely Resort area.

I saw that on Lance Venta's site, are they still running the same format?

I won't be back down there until late next week.
For right now it looks like the live streaming has been shut down. Probably due to the technical moving of the station to FMBC.

Maybe an update from someone in the listening area?

Because WAVV's owner did not subscribe to the Nielsen Ratings, and I guess didn't encode the signal, we don't where it ranked.
Late response... but Ft Myers is not a PPM market, so stations are not encoded.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom