• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Waste of Talent: Jenn Hobby

I was a sales rep when Jeff and Jenn were on Star. Jenn was the endorsement QUEEN. People love and trust her.

So, why is Star allowing her to voicetrack all morning? Seems like a waste. The show just falls flat.

Also, I'm not sure she fits the format anymore. Just my opinion.

I had the same reaction as you regarding the lack of live material on the show. Why? I have no inside information. To be able to pay her less and still keep her to bring in revenue with her endorsements? Star 94 is really music intensive; the music is the star (pun intended). Maybe management feels personality even in the morning is not that important so they can get away with it.

As far as fitting the format, others more knowledgeable regarding Rhythmic AC might be better answering this. But in my opinion, while they probably wouldn't have hired Jenn if she were not already there and had marketplace value, she is an okay fit.

Last edited:
IMHO: A lot of “music” stations are really a slimmed down form of the old “block” formats. Back in the day stations would play on type of music in the morning and a different type afternoon. Substitute extra talk for the morning music then regular music format the rest of the day. Some purist folks can’t stand the morning extra talking but a successful Morning Show can be very profitable.

It is my opinion that Jenn is not being wasted. She is working in a top 10 market doing morning drive. She should be making around 6 figures or higher. If the morning show wasn’t bringing in a serious amount of revenue, then she would be replaced.

BTW IIRC 94.1 beat both Q and Power (6+) last book, so something is working.

Doesn't seem like a question of "allowing", but instead "making."

Talent is told how the show is done, not the other way around.

Nothing forcing them to stay.
Correct! Every job I ever had there is a understanding that you will do what you were told if you want to continue to get paid. Morning drive in a top 10 market will not hurt your resume. Should the gig not work out, and you did what you were told to do management should take the blame. Of course usually management will blame the air talent. Then a consultant blows the station up and installs a new format.

Back
Top Bottom