• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Washington DC Radio Ratings: May 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 4/27/2023 thru Wed. 5/24/2023, age 6+ overall:
or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:

25-54: 1T. WASH 1T. WAMU 3. WGTS 4. WHUR 5. WIHT
18-34: 1. WAMU 2. WPGC 3T. WGTS (up from #6) 3T. WIHT 5. WKYS 7T. WLZL (up from #14) 7T. WASH
18-49: 1. WAMU 2. WGTS 3. WASH 4. WPGC 5. WIHT

I noticed on both RadioInsight and Radio-Online that WIAD is missing from this PPM. Any ideas what happened? Assuming it’s some kind of glitch.

Covering the survey period from Thu. 4/27/2023 thru Wed. 5/24/2023, age 6+ overall:
or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:

25-54: 1T. WASH 1T. WAMU 3. WGTS 4. WHUR 5. WIHT
18-34: 1. WAMU 2. WPGC 3T. WGTS (up from #6) 3T. WIHT 5. WKYS 7T. WLZL (up from #14) 7T. WASH
18-49: 1. WAMU 2. WGTS 3. WASH 4. WPGC 5. WIHT
Does WPFW (Pacifica) not subscribe, or are there no significant listeners?

Does WPFW (Pacifica) not subscribe, or are there no significant listeners?
They do not subscribe. But traditionally, over the last 2 years, they average around 20th to 24th in AQH and a cume around 70,000 plus or minus 20% or so.

Pacifica has always claimed that their kind of sophisticated, educated, erudite listeners would not and will not participate in ratings surveys and that they are, consequentially, under measured. I agree to some extent, but twice a 0.1 is still in the 0.1 to 0.2 range and that puts us in the "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it fall, did it even fall at all?" category.

Interest
They do not subscribe. But traditionally, over the last 2 years, they average around 20th to 24th in AQH and a cume around 70,000 plus or minus 20% or so.

Pacifica has always claimed that their kind of sophisticated, educated, erudite listeners would not and will not participate in ratings surveys and that they are, consequentially, under measured. I agree to some extent, but twice a 0.1 is still in the 0.1 to 0.2 range and that puts us in the "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it fall, did it even fall at all?" category.
Interesting. I understand that PFW's programming is somewhat different than the other Pacifica stations of late, in that apparently they are also serving as a Jazz station for the DC area. Is this true?

Interest

Interesting. I understand that PFW's programming is somewhat different than the other Pacifica stations of late, in that apparently they are also serving as a Jazz station for the DC area. Is this true?
I don't know, and, truly, don't care (sorry, but my feelings about them and the various staff members I have had contact with is totally unpleasant)! :censored:

Maybe a question on the this board can reveal what their overall "feel" is as a station.

I understand that PFW's programming is somewhat different than the other Pacifica stations of late, in that apparently they are also serving as a Jazz station for the DC area. Is this true?

Yes and this goes back a very long way, almost back to the founding of the station. This was one of the newest Pacifica stations, long after KPFK or WBAI. The intent was to have political influence over the government. Some of that happened. But what really happened was a connection between the black inner city population of DC and the radio station. It became a heritage jazz station that was based largely around the fact that Duke Ellington was born in DC, and his archives still reside there (at the Smithsonian). So the radio station plays a lot of traditional jazz in a community-based way. My bet is that it makes more money than WBAI & KPFK put together. At one time WBAI played jazz at night. But that was a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom