• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WARM--ANYONE INTERESTED IN BRINGING WARMLAND BACK????

Phil Galasso, former chief engineer and all around can -do radio guy is spearheading a movement to get some interested parties together and buy WARM. He says he can keep it going until there is revenue to buy some new equipment. I'm in, and looking to help out any way I can. Interested parties--regardless of ability to invest--please email me at [email protected]. The first step might be a petition. When we get enough interested I'll set up a meeting in WARMLAND!! Phil will be on hand at the WARMLAND reunion at the Pocono Drag Lodge, August 11, 2012 in Bear Creek. We can exchange information and possibly get a petition going.

Cheers
Charlie Hulsizer
Organizer- WARMLAND and Pocono Drag Lodge reunions- august 11, 2012, at the Drag Lodge--648 Meadow Run Road, Bear Creek..... ;D

Charlie You should approach Cumulus about LMAing WARM, see what they're looking for. Also offer to take over payment of the electric bill (deduct from LMA payment). Get an engineering study on what it would take to straighten out the antenna problems and look at possibly getting a power increase. Rent an office trailor and put the studio out at the transmitter in Falls. Knowing what has to be done to that place, Hope you have a good investor or some very DEEP pockets yourself! Good luck! DS

Actually, if the transmitter building in Falls is cleaned up, a small studio could be built there without the need for a trailer. The building already has a kitchen and toilet facilities, although those need to be fixed up and the building needs a new well pump. The kitchen and toilet were built there when WARM first began transmitting from that building, as directional AM stations once needed someone with a First Class Radiotelephone License at the transmitter site whenever the station was on the air. Remote control of a directional facility was not allowed until the 1980s. Some walls with soundproofing would be needed to create a small studio booth in order to kill the noise from the blowers in the transmitter. The equipment racks would have to be moved, but they need to be rewired, anyway...the wiring is a rat's nest resulting from generations of people who worked there.

Having a studio there isn't a bad idea, even if studio facilities are built in the city of license (Scranton), which would really be the best thing to do. At one time, the FCC required stations to maintain a studio at a remote transmitter site so that programming could be put on the air if something happened to the main studio...but that requirement went away over 30 years ago.

An LWOB (lease with option to buy) might be a good way to approach this. Charlie, please contact me privately.

Phil G.

DaveWilliams said:
Get an engineering study on what it would take to straighten out the antenna problems and look at possibly getting a power increase.

A study was done around 2003 by Citadel. If the paperwork wasn't discarded when I was laid off, it should still be in a filing cabinet in my former office on Baltimore Drive. The most crucial problem with the antenna system is the lack of good grounding. The main part of the ground system was installed in 1949 or 1952 and has long ago ceased to exist. The common point reading would go up and down like a roller coaster with changes in the weather. On a rainy day like today, the reading would be around 11-12 amps! The licensed value at 50 j0 is 10.43 amps.

A power increase might be possible if the deep nulls toward Albany and Harrisburg are maintained. In Albany, a co-channel station (WROW) exists. Harrisburg has WHP, a first-adjacent on 580.

Dave, Charlie: Contact me at phil (at) k2pg.com .

For what you would spend, versus the audience you could potentially garner with am AM station... the numbers don't make sense. Good luck making a pitch to a bank for the money. You're building an AM radio station from scratch in an FM/satellite/internet world. It's over for WARM.

Nigel is spot on: economically it doesn't make any sense. It is like advocating buying an old typewriter factory and fixing it up to build typewriters again. Who would listen (on AM) other than present/former radioheads. Besides the HUGE engineering costs you would need loads of money for salaries (if you plan to offer what WARM did: full service AC with live personalities, local news (2 man team in the morning), reporters on the street, 20/20 sports, etc. Could you even break even (after all someone has to pay the transmitter bill, etc).

To bring WARM back one doesn't need 590khz: that is the spot on the dial it just happened to be on; radio is about listening to the content, no matter which way you listen. How many times do you hear Rock 107 make mention of 106.9 or 105.9? "Rock 107" is the brand. WILK is the brand and it appears on 3AMs and 1FM. Its also the deal with WBRE/WYOU/WVIA (no mention anymore of their analog/PSIP channels.

Look at WTOP in Washington: successful when it was on 1500AM; leaving AM behind it is now a freakin cash-cow on 103.5/103.9/107.7, but it is still WTOP.

AM-only is dead, and AM sounds awful; take this from someone who listened to WARD until they cut the record off in the middle to power down at night, or loved listening to Harry West in the morming before going to school. Those days are gone.

Instead of raising money to buy and fix 590 why not raise they money to buy an FM and give any resurrected WARM an actual chance.

Merely some thoughts here, from someone who has been in Scranton (Green Ridge) twice in his whole life, but who also remembers the days of the Mighty 590 and when they'd come into NYC at night, near JFK Airport. That spot was also within range of another fun, smiling Susquehanna station -- WGBB .....

What would the format be?

Desired audience demo?

If it's Oldies -- uh, sorry : 'greatest hits' -- then how would it be musically any more compelling that the Gem phalanx?

Would it be 24/7 ? And if so, why?

A pal once asked me to monitor WARM. That was several years back. On a good radio, early afternoon/lunchtime, I really had to dig them out of their SW null. I'm in NE Schuylkill County.
Well, at least the NULL worked fine, lol.
But the directional question becomes sort of exponential as of this writing:
a) Regional stations (even ones well-placed low on the dial) which have increased their power to 20,000 watts .... 38,000 watts .... 8900 watts, whatever) traditionally show no improvement in ratings. Why raise the electric bill? Why not go the minimum omni in the daytime, as long as the signal gets to Scranton?
b) Is that back lobe to the NW really necessary? The map makes it look as though 2000 watts, night and day, is going to places where not many people live. I have nothing at all agin the people of Walls Corners, Starkville, et al. But if they're not listening in droves now, why propose to send anything at all that way?
c) In short, are five towers really necessary to achieve Scranton coverage, day or night?

Resurrecting a 50-year old approach is a great acknowledgement for Teens 50-plus. The thinking here is that, even with a certified winning lottery backing, a full-service day-parted A/C / Oldies based Chicken Rock station would sound wonderful.
In 1980, maybe.
With that format in 2012, though, I fear you'd wind up with more staffers than listeners. Even if it were on FM.

There'd be retirees and volunteers, such as myself, who'd love to do a *WARM* air shift for maybe three hours -- a week. Give me six WARM jingles and that weather bed, a trade-out pizza or a sack of White Castles and I'm game. You find ten of such people and you have some good sock-hop product. But that would be, most likely, at night. The rest of the broadcast day would have to be done, earnestly, via Ots Juke or whatever other automated sources available. And those hours would have to be with the sound in full, undeniable WARM-Land regalia.

And then, some form of PD-figure would have to emerge, most likely through some sort of Susquehanna Papal smoke.
Lead us, Pope Andrew Travis II !

NXEA seemed to be the most realistic, with that typewriter-factory analogy. But we have a small studio here, and I can cut some liners in my best ripped-off Bill St. James voice. Our operator is standing by.

NXEA said:
Instead of raising money to buy and fix 590 why not raise they money to buy an FM and give any resurrected WARM an actual chance.

1. AM does not have to sound bad.

2. With decent programming, people will listen to AM radio. What killed AM in most areas? A steady diet of canned, syndicated political propaganda; canned sports talk; infomercials touting a wide assortment of quack dietary supplements, cure-all laxatives, and shady real estate deals; as well as other crap that people don't want to hear.

3. Hey, the way things are going in this market, maybe someday an FM will become available at an affordable price. But a resurrected WARM, with 5 kW and a repaired ground system on 590, would reach well beyond the Scranton market. In its heyday, WARM was "the station that reaches to the beaches". When I was a kid growing up near Newark, NJ, I used to listen to it on a 5-tube RCA table radio. It was that station just past WMCA that played music that I loved, with a delivery that caught my ear.

NXEA said:
Look at WTOP in Washington: successful when it was on 1500AM; leaving AM behind it is now a freakin cash-cow on 103.5/103.9/107.7, but it is still WTOP.

And what happened to that beautiful 50 kW signal on AM? It is now a total waste of electricity. As WFED, it carries B-O-R-I-N-G federal news ("Federal News Radio") and has zero listeners. There are plenty of formats that could attract listeners and bring in money...or maybe the owner is using WFED as a tax loss? The federal news can be had over the Internet for those who work for the government.

If AM is dying, it's because the broadcasters themselves (and their masters in the corporate boardrooms) are killing it. If your programming sucks, nobody will listen to it anywhere on the dial.

Perhaps we need a law like the one in Canada, requiring stations that migrate AM programming to the FM band to surrender the AM license and allow someone else to get a chance at putting something on the air to serve their community.

Perhaps we need a law like the one in Canada, requiring stations that migrate AM programming to the FM band to surrender the AM license and allow someone else to get a chance at putting something on the air to serve their community.

Yeah, that's just what we need. More Federal regulation.

Thanks for all of the input!! I need as much input/ comments/ criticism/ praise as I can get. As I said, who knows, but I seem to have a lot of support so far. When I find out some more I will be hosting an informational meeting someplace in the scr/wb area. Volunteers will surely be welcomed!!! Thanks again!!!

Charlie Hulsizer
Organizer, Pocono Drag Lodge and Warmland reunions, August 11, 2012
email:[email protected]

PA_Tune said:

Yeah, that's just what we need. More Federal regulation.

That's EXACTLY what we need. You see what deregulation has given us: Lousy programming and massive layoffs...with stations that do not provide a shred of local service to their communities.

Broadcast frequencies are a finite resource. To allow simulcasting and the "warehousing" of stations wastes this valuable resource. To allow a handful of corporations to own everything ensures that this handful will control everything you hear on the radio, see on television, and read in the newspaper. That is not healthy for a democracy.

My thoughts on this, I think there is a good chance that WARM could be brought back to a viable state, it wouldn't be a HUGE money maker but if it is run lean and mean (yes that would include some sat. or syndicated stuff) and keep the expenses to a minimum, it could be done and done very nicely. The real key would be to have a couple of key people in the sales department that would be a little bit creative in what the station has to offer. Put the right format on the station and provide a service to the area and you'll win, its that easy!

Dave is right-my strategy would be to start small...hit the local mom and pop businesses--ask them what they could afford--get em on board--dont scare them off with a glossy $20k advertising plan----even if its once a week---a piece of the pie is better than none of it, and move forward from there..savvy sales folks know what to do!!!

oldies4ever ;D

ka2xuk said:
1. AM does not have to sound bad.

2. With decent programming, people will listen to AM radio. What killed AM in most areas? A steady diet of canned, syndicated political propaganda; canned sports talk; infomercials touting a wide assortment of quack dietary supplements, cure-all laxatives, and shady real estate deals; as well as other crap that people don't want to hear.

3. Hey, the way things are going in this market, maybe someday an FM will become available at an affordable price. But a resurrected WARM, with 5 kW and a repaired ground system on 590, would reach well beyond the Scranton market. In its heyday, WARM was "the station that reaches to the beaches". When I was a kid growing up near Newark, NJ, I used to listen to it on a 5-tube RCA table radio. It was that station just past WMCA that played music that I loved, with a delivery that caught my ear.

True: AM doesn't have to sound bad. I had a killer AM Stereo car radio (I bought one for my car, and I made sure my next car had one in it) and it sounded great, almost like FM, but AM Stereo is dead. You can have a top-notch AM facility but without quality receivers it won't make a lot of difference.

Not totally true that lousy programming killed AM. The lousy programming followed the rise in popularity of FM. AM was already dying so the news and talk programming was a way to try to hold onto older audiences as young folks transitioned to (better quality audio) FM. Now listeners are transitioning to online radio, and FM will have to keep up. How do they do that? They make FM available on the internet, on smartphone, HD (that's a whole other issue); they don't find an AM signal to simulcast on.

Your comment on WTOP: the folks who owned it realised AM was on its way out and switched it to FM to be able to compete.

Yes, deregulation ruined local radio, and HD radio (if you only owned 1 AM and 1 FM per market then owners would be doing EVERYTHING to program and promote their HD2/3/4 channels). AM programming that was successful could now be simulcast onto the newly bought FM, and so on. This happened in 1996; we are now 16 years into it, and it isn't getting any better.

Up until a few years ago I would have been totally on-board fixing up 590; I loved AM and advocated 'build it and they will come' and 'program it and they will listen.' I was intrigued by Part 15 AMs as well (my brother built a transmitter kit and gave it to me). My first radio job was on an AM and I loved it and have fond memories, but I'm also a realist; I get the feeling most people on this board who advocate bringing WARM back on 590 are not, but instead are nostalgic.

I truly and sincerely wish you the best and all the luck in the world (you will definitely need it).

At one point within the last 5 years, there was a construction permit issued for 1320 in the Clarks Summit area with like 3500 watts day and 1800 night. There was also a CP on the books for 250 watts fulltime for 850 in Olyphant. You can see what action has been done with them (ie: nuthin)

Nothing was done because they can't make money. Please, move on from the "bring back WARM" thing. It's not going to happen. Not now. Not ever.

NigelWick said:
Nothing was done because they can't make money. Please, move on from the "bring back WARM" thing. It's not going to happen. Not now. Not ever.

To some, WARM is an obsession. They find relief resurrecting an old worn out topic. Bury the topic and find a new "fix!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom