• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wanted: Durable & Inexpensive Headphones

E

elevator_opratr

We purchased some $29 headphones from Radio Shack. They sounded great, but their durability was horrible as we have a lot of people using them daily and heavily in our venue.

Can you guys suggest a durable yet inexpensive set of headphones?

Logical Analysis

> Can you guys suggest a durable yet inexpensive set of
> headphones?

You can get durable, you can get inexpensive, and you can get headphones that sound good.

You can get head phones that are durable, and sound good, but they won't be inexpensive.
You can get headphones that sound good and are inexpensive, but they won't be durable.

You can get headphones that are durable, and inexpensive, but they won't sound good.

Go spend $80.00 on a decent pair of Sony's, and you'll get phones that sound good, are durable, but ain't inexpensive.

PS - Then you have the problem of chaining them to the board so they don't disappear.

Re: Logical Analysis

>
> You can get headphones that are durable, and inexpensive,
> but they won't sound good.

Ditto. I've been very happy with Sony MDR-V600's. I've had two (in two different studios), have used them every day for about 3 years, and they're still in fine shape. Between $60 and $70.

> >
> > You can get headphones that are durable, and inexpensive,
> > but they won't sound good.
>
> Ditto. I've been very happy with Sony MDR-V600's. I've had
> two (in two different studios), have used them every day for
> about 3 years, and they're still in fine shape. Between $60
> and $70.
>

Spent $99 on my Sony MDR-V600's ten years ago.
Spent another $99 on a backup pair a couple of years later, as I'd heard a rumor they were going to be discontinued.
They're not only NOT discontinued, but I'll probably die before the first pair gives out, unless some terrible accident befalls them or someone swipes them. In which case, I'll be dead, because I'll fight to the death to defend them---a thief will have to pry them out of my frozen fingers.

Spend the money, it's the best investment you can make. I've been through five cars, two heavy relationships, four radio stations, and three states with my V600's. They've never let me down. Can't say the same for anything else in my life.

Plus, they sound freakin' awesome. You'll thank yourself!

> > Can you guys suggest a durable yet inexpensive set of
> > headphones?
>
> You can get durable, you can get inexpensive, and you can
> get headphones that sound good.
>
> You can get head phones that are durable, and sound good,
> but they won't be inexpensive.
> You can get headphones that sound good and are inexpensive,
> but they won't be durable.
>
> You can get headphones that are durable, and inexpensive,
> but they won't sound good.
>
> Go spend $80.00 on a decent pair of Sony's, and you'll get
> phones that sound good, are durable, but ain't inexpensive.
>
> PS - Then you have the problem of chaining them to the board
> so they don't disappear.
>

True enough.

Consider this an old-school vote for Koss Pro 4aa's as well. If you can stand the weight (they ain't built light), for 100 bucks you can have a set of headphones that may well outlast your career. I've been doing radio for close to 19 years, and have had two pairs in my life. (The first ones were broken by a part-timer.) Plus, if you're doing a live broadcast in a noisy venue (think nightclub or sports event) they're better than the Sonys to block out outside noise...makes it easier to hear the station.

Can't beat the value for the investment. Koss Pro 4aa's.

> Spend the money, it's the best investment you can make. I've
> been through five cars, two heavy relationships, four radio
> stations, and three states with my V600's. They've never let
> me down. Can't say the same for anything else in my life.
>
> Plus, they sound freakin' awesome. You'll thank yourself!
>

Ditto for the V600's. Great set of phones.

Koss & Sennheiser

> Consider this an old-school vote for Koss Pro 4aa's as well.
> If you can stand the weight (they ain't built light)

Koss Pro-4aa's have been around since I was taking my test for a Class III Radiotelephone License with the Element 9 Broadcast Endorsement. Great sounding phones, and virtually indestructable. You'll also develop neck muscles that will be the envy of your local NFL linebacker, and the ability to withstand extreme cranial pressure, because wearing those is like putting your head in a 25 pound vise. Great for the "isolation booth" and in noisy environments, but I find them annoyingly uncomfortable for extended wear. If you can deal with them, Tiny, remind me to call you sir if we ever meet in person.

I opted way back then to go with Sennheiser HD404s, and later 414s after the replacement earpads became impossible to find. Fabulous phones, and light as a feather, but difficult to keep from feeding back in my later years. I liked the added bonus of having a sense of the noise level of my surroundings when the mic wasn't on. The new models have resolved the earpad problems, and they offer some "closed" phones that resolve the feedback problem, but they ain't cheap. I found the Sony's more than acceptable, and a better bang for the buck.

Best answer? Try them out. And make sure you annoy the sales person by cranking them up to the levels you'll use when you're actually on the air. I remember buying a set of "travel phones" - inexpensive phones to be used for remotes, off-the-air listening, etc. They sounded great until I turned them up to the levels necessary for an old disk-jockey to "hear properly". It was a new experience in distortion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom