• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WABC's Poor Promos

WABC doesn't have good promos for their shows. They have had one for Imus for the past few months where all he says is, "I'm the dumbest person on this program." There's one for Hannity where Hannity says, "whether you like the political ads or not, they work." They should have better promos than these if they're the biggest news talk station in America.

They should have at least two hours of local programming per day if they're the biggest news talk station in America.

When Doug McIntyre was doing Red Eye Radio he came up with some hilarious lines, none of which made it to WABC's promos. Instead they picked stuff that made him sound like a jerk.

They still run the liner to check out their web page and vote for the poll question of the day. It hasn't been updated since April or May!

wadio said:
When Doug McIntyre was doing Red Eye Radio he came up with some hilarious lines, none of which made it to WABC's promos. Instead they picked stuff that made him sound like a jerk.

Doug McIntyre Isn't he originally from from 790 KABC in LA?

DToTheJ said:
They should have at least two hours of local programming per day if they're the biggest news talk station in America.

Biggest news/talk in America? That would be KFI (in terms of revenue & ratings). WABC, IIRC is like 3 or 4 on that list.

DToTheJ said:

That's sort of like "The biggest fish I can put in my aquarium."

If you have a 10,000 gallon tank, you can have a nice shark.

If you have a 1 gallon bowl, you can have a small goldfish.

WABC is "big" by the accident of market demographics.

There is a better talk station in Fargo.

Sometimes you fall in the big tank and drown.

recto101 said:
wadio said:

Doug McIntyre Isn't he originally from from 790 KABC in LA?
Yes, and he's back there doing mornings now.

DavidEduardo said:
DToTheJ said:

That's sort of like "The biggest fish I can put in my aquarium."

If you have a 10,000 gallon tank, you can have a nice shark.

If you have a 1 gallon bowl, you can have a small goldfish.

WABC is "big" by the accident of market demographics.

There is a better talk station in Fargo.

Sometimes you fall in the big tank and drown.

But there are better promos on stations in smaller markets.

They are very generic with not great production. The proms in the Johnny Donovan era were mush better making WABC stand out. Now it sounds like any of 500 other stations.

ccinsider said:
DToTheJ said:

Biggest news/talk in America? That would be KFI (in terms of revenue & ratings). WABC, IIRC is like 3 or 4 on that list.

KFI is in the Top 5 in the LA Ratings. I know KFI and KIIS-FM(CHR for CC) tend to be on the top5 in the LA Ratings and Most Revenue in the LA Market.

So, is it any wonder that they are struggling? Promo's are a vital part of the overall station sound, and if you have the same promo's running around for a couple of months then it's stands to reason that audience would have a perception that the station is stale. Promo's for your headline shows should be updated daily. If you are a sports rights holder, forward promote games. If you don't update your promo's to be topical or at the very least fresh, you will lose momentum.

It's been said you should never ask a question in advertising because it prompts listeners to answer in a way you might not like. How about this one:

"Are you on Facebook? Do you like 77-WABC?"

Well, NO and NO!

My listening to WABC these days is pretty much limited to 5-6 am (streaming to avoid the AM ducting) and I hear this promo repeatedly.

Hearing some new ones but also hearing tired old material for 3 of their biggest shows...IMUS, Hanney and Levin. What's up with that? They also seem to be playing a lot of promos...is WABC still suffering from the Rush effect?

OC3 said:
Hearing some new ones but also hearing tired old material for 3 of their biggest shows...IMUS, Hanney and Levin. What's up with that? They also seem to be playing a lot of promos...is WABC still suffering from the Rush effect?

Are you listening online, or the radio?

Hearing lots of new promos on WABC and not hearing a lot of old ones (but did hear some really old Mark Simone promos yesterday) so perhaps they were reading these comments! Any comments?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom