• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WABC - Do you have to shout?

WABC - DO YOU HAVE TO SHOUT!

I just changed the station.

Lionel is filling in for Curtis & Kuby and his delivery is completely over the top -- not like anything I've heard him do over the past couple of decades.

Lately Curtis & Kuby start yelling and talking over each other every few minutes. Promos for the show feature these contrived outbursts.

Deborah Valentine who does news fill-ins has ramped it up so she's sounding like a college radio newbie trying to get attention.

What the heck is going on over there? Is this an edict from management? Is there any evidence that this hyper delivery attracts listeners? Or does it turn listeners off over time?

They need to shout so their older listeners can hear. Ay? What'd ya say?

This is a 1 share station that is trying to reach listeners any way they can. If not through the AM interference, perhaps they can just shout out the windows. I can hear them downstairs in the Amtrak station without a radio.

Edict from management? Are you kidding?

LOL! Yeah, I forgot this is AM radio. Guess I should tighten the string at the end of my tin can. ;-)

But seriously, this babble of shouting voices thing -- it's a staple on TV talk shows where at least there you can try to read lips. On radio it just sucks.

Folks, for the record, my OP had nothing to do with politics, just formatics. Why is it desirable for hosts to yell (even more than Levin) and talk over each other. Do some people find that enjoyable?

Folks, for the record, my OP had nothing to do with politics, just formatics. Why is it desirable for hosts to yell (even more than Levin) and talk over each other. Do some people find that enjoyable?

Why Would you expect 77WABC to have talk show hosts act like they are doing a TED Lecture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNvDRuGK84I

77WABC has to have talk show hosts who sound like they came "Straight outta Trump Rally" because of the demos.

Local NPR News/Talk hosts already have people that sound like they came outta Ted Talks because of their donors and audiences in their respective places

Many do. It works for sports talk, too, on radio and television. Volume = passion for the average political or sports talk listener.

Exactly...you want talk without shouting, go to WNYC. Problem solved.

True and also How many of 77WABC's audience ever heard of Ted Talks, Khan Academy, PBS Digital studios or even NPR? Well WABC-AM's audiences heard of all the trends with pundits and Superpacs before the OP is asking why WABC-radio cannot act sane and civilized?

Middle ground: Curtis & Kuby, Lionel, etc. before they started shouting uncontrollably.

Wishful thinking though but then again what will Cumulus do now with their flagship News/Talk stations aka the former ABC Radio Stations. How in the world are they supposed to attract younger audiences to them.

Having a 76 year old guy as their morning drive host certainly isn't helping.

But wait Charles Osgood is 83 and somehow managed to attract Viewers on the TV side and somehow managed to do well on his radio segments via CBS all-news radio stations for years like KCBS and WCBS. How did he do well with younger audiences? Or Some of 60 Minutes staff thats sometimes air on All News Radio owned by CBS and CBS TV. These staff members of 60 minutes
Somehow got the audiences CBS Wanted to get.

And if you notice, Osgood just announced he's leaving.

And if you notice, not only has he worked 18 years beyond the usual retirement age, but his is one of the few TV network news shows whose audience has been growing across virtually all demographics.

Age alone isn't the issue. The trick is in knowing how to relate to the listeners/viewers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom