• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

VOA Broadcast Museum in Mason

I saw the facility in operation a couple of times.

That must have been cool. Aside from my own SW facility, the only SW transmitter site I ever saw was HCJB in Pifo, Ecuador when they were running 3 x 100 kw, 2 x 50 kw on SW, 50 kw on MW and 10 kw on tropical bands.

In the summer of 1983 (or 1984) while I was attending UC's OCAS in EET, we went out to the VOA site for a field trip. It was really fascinating. They showed us the control room, the transmitters, old tubes and showed us how they would manually change the antenna characteristics by using levers out in the antenna farm.

A cool piece of trivia was that GM would bring concept cars out to the site and drive them under the antenna lines and see if they would stall or be affected by the high power being given off by the transmission lines. Microprocessor controlled cars were just getting started back then and I guess they wanted to QA the electronics to see if they needed more shielding, etc..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom