• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

VB and WGY

Would anyone happen to know if VB, when he took the job at WGY to host their AMD slot, actually moved to the Schenectady area, or if he's doing the show remotely from the facilities of iHeart Boston?

VB has little kids in the school system, so, I'm going to guess and say that he's still here in MA doing the show remotely. For those who have twitter accounts, perhaps someone can check and see if he mentions anything about moving to NY.

He could be doing both (live Ma, rent Albany). Kelly -his partner- left the station (8/21) after a long run so I don't know if that changed things. She was always in GY studio obviously. It's close enough but a 3hr drive isn't something you'd want to do often.

He could be doing both (live Ma, rent Albany). Kelly -his partner- left the station (8/21) after a long run so I don't know if that changed things. She was always in GY studio obviously. It's close enough but a 3hr drive isn't something you'd want to do often.
An aside totally unrelated to my original question: your signature line "Color Radio - Pulsebeat News" was part of the identity of "Channel 63" WPRO-AM 630 during the early 60s. Are you referring to them or to another station using that branding?

An aside totally unrelated to my original question: your signature line "Color Radio - Pulsebeat News" was part of the identity of "Channel 63" WPRO-AM 630 during the early 60s. Are you referring to them or to another station using that branding?
Wasn't KDWB also Color Radio along with sisters KFWB and KEWB owned by Crowell-Collier? And they had Pulsebeat news, too, I think.

I listened to VB yesterday morning for the beginning of his show. Through the I-Heart app.
He mentioned his drive in to the studio, and a few landmarks that would tend to make me think he moved to New York.

The "music all day the color radio way" liner I was told about, by a former Capcities sales guy. I've never heard it but I'd like to. "Pulsebeat news" I have heard but I doubt Wpro was the only sta using them.

MUSIC ALL DAY THE COLOR RADIO WAY
CHANNEL 63 BIG 30 SINGLES
OCTOBER 18, 1963

Last edited:
Wasn't KDWB also Color Radio along with sisters KFWB and KEWB owned by Crowell-Collier? And they had Pulsebeat news, too, I think.
I'm sure there were other stations around the country using the Color Radio branding and serving up Pulsebeat News, but I have no definite knowledge of any other than WPRO, my hometown station, owned by Capital Cities Broadcasting back in the day. Like Westinghouse, Capital Cities was a good steward of the stations under its ownership. Interesting that Cap Cities was able to buy ABC around the same time (1995) that Westinghouse bought CBS.

The "music all day the color radio way" liner I was told about, by a former Capcities sales guy. I've never heard it but I'd like to. "Pulsebeat news" I have heard but I doubt WPRO was the only sta using them.
No word of lie: of all the AM stations in Providence during the 60s, WPRO did indeed reach the beaches without any effort. Their competitor, WICE 1290, was lucky to get out of the Providence-Cranston-Warwick area. But I never understood why WJAR 920, which had the same 5 KW of daytime power, AND whose antennas were just down the road on Wampanoag Trail from WPRO's, didn't have quite the same signal level at the beaches. I'm guessing WJAR might've had a different daytime directional antenna pattern than WPRO (both had TWO antennas).

No word of lie: of all the AM stations in Providence during the 60s, WPRO did indeed reach the beaches without any effort. Their competitor, WICE 1290, was lucky to get out of the Providence-Cranston-Warwick area. But I never understood why WJAR 920, which had the same 5 KW of daytime power, AND whose antennas were just down the road on Wampanoag Trail from WPRO's, didn't have quite the same signal level at the beaches. I'm guessing WJAR might've had a different daytime directional antenna pattern than WPRO (both had TWO antennas).
The biggest difference is the dial position. 5 kw on 630 is as good as about 12 kw on 920 and more like 25 kw on 1290. If you look at a coverage map, 630 covers a bit over twice the area that 920 does.

I believe at the time that neither was directional in the daytime in the 60's... just at night.

In general, given the same antenna site and equal electrical height of the towers, 1 kw on 550 covers as much as 50 kw on 1500.

And... WPGC

He physically moved to Capital District.
OK, now you're the second poster to assert this. However, here's what I'm thinking:

WGY is a place for iHeart to park VB until something opens up at WRKO. Schenectady is a smaller market than Boston, and I guess I can't fathom why someone wanting to advance his/her career would move from larger market B to smaller market S. iHeart's Medford facility supposedly is state-of-the-art and certainly must have setups for remote voice-tracking, even for a talk show. True, by so doing, VB could never really project that "local"feel to his Schenectady audience, but with the Internet et al, it MIGHT be feasible. Else, he could spend the work week in Schenectady and return home on weekends, since the two areas (Boxford and Schenectady) aren't all that far apart. Just my $0.02-worth.

Where is WRKO going to put him?

They COULD HAVE sent Carrigan to the beach and kept him, they didn't

Howie Carr is not going anywhere anytime soon so forget PM Drive.

They COULD HAVE used him to replace Rush, they didn't and went with the Carr product known as Grace Curley

WRKO goes syndicated after1900 Hrs, the days of being live ( His "Pit" show back in the day) are long gone.

So the only possible open spot would be if Armstrong gave up the "pay to play" 10 AM to Noon spot, you take an hour away from Kuhner and slide VB in there, but can you sell enough advertising to pay his salary and a producers?

Why do people go from Top 10 markets to lesser markets?

Because that is where they can find work..... face it he has a large family, I don't think his wife was going back to Channel 25 doing whatever it was she did there.... and what else can VB do besides Radio at this point?

No TV station picked him up when Channel 25 cut him loose, if anything the VB's. Kellers, et al who used to do opinion pieces on local TV are a bygone breed.... anchors are cheap, field reporters are cheaper, Pundits are so 1990... and they cost money

Schenectady is a smaller market than Boston, and I guess I can't fathom why someone wanting to advance his/her career would move from larger market B to smaller market S.

The market is actually known as Albany, which is market #62. Yes it's smaller than market #9, but WGY gets better ratings than WRKO, and WGY is a true news/talk station with a good news department. In Boston, you have WBZ that has the good news department.

VB is doing morning drive, which is typically the highest rated daypart, and the most lucrative. So he moved from mid-days to morning drive, which is a step up.

Where is WRKO going to put him?

Well... once K0000nah GOES NATIONAL, BAAAAYBE...

They COULD HAVE sent Carrigan to the beach and kept him, they didn't

Howie Carr is not going anywhere anytime soon so forget PM Drive.

Howie will milk it as long as possible. However, does he lose credibility as he spends more and more of his time in Florida and less time as a MA resident? Right now he has an easy gig so there's no compelling reason to give it up, but eventually people do (e.g. Savage)

What happens to Grace when Howie hangs it up? She's riding his coattails at the moment but in terms of political discussion/analysis she's completely vacuous. She might be a nice enough lady and 'not guilty', but she doesn't bring the experience/resume one would expect for political talk radio.

what else can VB do besides Radio at this point?

I suppose that depends on his education. There is an unholy alliance between the media and politicians, for instance, so political consultant is always a possibility. Marketing/communication is another. I suppose those gigs aren't necessarily going to pay the same as what he was/is making (I have no idea what "the talent" in positions like VB has make) but one does what one needs to do to put food on the table.

I imagine the Albany area, from what I recollect the few times I've been out that way, is a nicer area than the Boston area is, in terms of raising kids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom