• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Utterly Disgusting Radio Dial

I can't believe I am saying but, the radio "suits" are really not the problem with Atlanta Radio. The Ad agencies and their clients are responsible for what is heard on the commercial part of the band. The suits & radio programmers are trying to please their customers: the advertisers. I personally find the audio fidelity on SiriusXM lacking.

The thing is, I'm not familiar with any agencies who make specific demands on the stations about what does and doesn't get played, with the possible exception of not playing anything by an artist who has done something controversial recently. The message from the agencies to the radio stations is simple, "Deliver a certain sized audience to us of a certain average age. We don't give a damn what you do to get that audience, just get it." The radio station suits are saying among themselves, "This is the safest path to getting more listeners that our competitors. We don't need to be good, we only need to be a little bit better than the competition."

The radio station suits are saying among themselves, "This is the safest path to getting more listeners that our competitors. We don't need to be good, we only need to be a little bit better than the competition."

Except that the "competition" these days is more than OTA radio. Everyone is competing for audience and for advertising.

I just ran across this thread completely by chance, and I am nonetheless intrigued. I can't say I live in Atlanta, nor have I ever looked into the radio stations in Atlanta. Does anyone have a comprehensive radio station list of what is available over the air? I'd like to see how it compares to what we have.

As many have noted before, the problem with Atlanta has more to do with the population than the radio stations. When almost half of the metro audience is Black or Hispanic, it eats up a big chunk of the potential audience. That shift in population affects a whole lot of things besides radio. If you don't like Atlanta radio, there are probably a bunch of other similar things you encounter every day.

As many have noted before, the problem with Atlanta has more to do with the population than the radio stations. When almost half of the metro audience is Black or Hispanic, it eats up a big chunk of the potential audience. That shift in population affects a whole lot of things besides radio. If you don't like Atlanta radio, there are probably a bunch of other similar things you encounter every day.

Typical misconception of how things really are in Atlanta. The Black population of Atlanta is so big that it is not a single, monolithic bloc in which everyone shares an identical "urban" perspective. I had been told this by Black people about Atlanta before I moved here, but when I arrived, I soon learned the truth of it. In Atlanta, being Black doesn't mean very much. It means next to nothing. The Black community is as fragmented and segmented as the White community. Black people don't automatically tune in the "urban" stations because it's expected of them. They don't let people dictate to them what they're expected to like and support.

As for "Hispanics", when you remove the illegal aliens from consideration, there aren't as many as you might think. But of the people here who come from countries where Spanish is the dominant language, some are Mexicans and many others are Cubans, Puerto Ricans, or are from other Caribbean, Central and South American countries. People from Ecuador, Peru, Columbia, Argentina, or any of the other non-Mexican Spanish speaking nations aren't automatically going to embrace stations that play Mexican music. That would be like expecting all people of European ancestry to want to listen to Polkas, even if their ancestors were Greek or Norwegian.

I agree with Avid Listener. I see that Atlanta has plenty of country music to go around, and that's all well and dandy. However, country music is not automatically what everyone who is not of the African American or Hispanic audience will choose to listen to. I believe that radio works best when there are many formats in a market to choose from, and the listener can make that choice based upon their personal taste.

I've never even been to Atlanta, but that logic seems to make sense to me.

Last edited:
What a strange conversation this is.

Atlanta is a community that I guess used to know who they were, and now this bulging, growing, sprawling place is trying to decide who or what it wants to be when it grows up!

Counting the translators, etc, over 80, that is eight-zero, signals to tune in. Five of them are country. Hey, this IS the South. I am surprised 20 of them are not country. Now if you did a search that reached out another 20 or 25 miles, there are a number of little market stations standing just outside the umbrella that are.... well, you need a "k" to describe them: KUNTREE. Hey, this IS the South.

Atlanta is one bodacious "melting pot" or as I prefer to say: "soup bowl". It is a place where show-biz types can blend into the scene on the days they would like to NOT be hounded by fans. We are not Silicon Valley but we are a "high tech" also ran market that draws teckies from around the world. We are the home town of Coca-cola, Home Depot, CNN, Agco, and major regional corporate locations... so we are no longer a community (totally) dominated by traditional Southerners. So why would our radio dial not be as helter-skelter as we as a people are?

Typical misconception of how things really are in Atlanta. The Black population of Atlanta is so big that it is not a single, monolithic bloc in which everyone shares an identical "urban" perspective.

I understand that. That's why you have at least five different urban stations, and all of them doing pretty well. From what I can see, Hispanics haven't had much impact on radio. Probably for the reason you give.

There are only two country stations, while there are five urban stations. So Black folks aren't listening to country.

I understand that. That's why you have at least five different urban stations, and all of them doing pretty well. From what I can see, Hispanics haven't had much impact on radio. Probably for the reason you give.

There are only two country stations, while there are five urban stations. So Black folks aren't listening to country.

That's one of the lamest conclusions drawn from sparse data that I've ever seen.

Commenting that because someone's ancestors came from Africa means that they won't ever listen to country music is a disgustingly racist statement. It is deplorable.

Commenting that because someone's ancestors came from Africa means that they won't ever listen to country music is a disgustingly racist statement. It is deplorable.

I never said it that way. When you phrase it that way, I agree.

However, the fact is that less than 5% of the Bull's audience is Black, regardless of the reason why. I remember speaking with Ray Charles once and asking him about his country records. He told me point blank, "You can't be from Albany Georgia and not be country." Darius Rucker feels the same way, although he's from Charleston SC. When he sings "Family Tradition," it takes on a very different meaning.

Last edited:
Typical misconception of how things really are in Atlanta. The Black population of Atlanta is so big that it is not a single, monolithic bloc in which everyone shares an identical "urban" perspective. I had been told this by Black people about Atlanta before I moved here, but when I arrived, I soon learned the truth of it. In Atlanta, being Black doesn't mean very much. It means next to nothing. The Black community is as fragmented and segmented as the White community. Black people don't automatically tune in the "urban" stations because it's expected of them. They don't let people dictate to them what they're expected to like and support.

As for "Hispanics", when you remove the illegal aliens from consideration, there aren't as many as you might think. But of the people here who come from countries where Spanish is the dominant language, some are Mexicans and many others are Cubans, Puerto Ricans, or are from other Caribbean, Central and South American countries. People from Ecuador, Peru, Columbia, Argentina, or any of the other non-Mexican Spanish speaking nations aren't automatically going to embrace stations that play Mexican music. That would be like expecting all people of European ancestry to want to listen to Polkas, even if their ancestors were Greek or Norwegian.

Excellent post, as usual Avid.

Most black folks I know in my pier group don't listen to Atlanta radio at all. My boss is black and if she listens to radio, it's online either V-103 out of not Atlanta but Chicago or WBLS from NYC. I asked why not any of the many "black" stations in ATL and she said "they don't play anything I like". It's either that or she jams to her wide selection of MP3 files like most everyone else these days. My best friend, who also happens to be black and my age, never listens to terrestrial radio and gave up on it about 10 years ago. Same reason: nothing of interest to him. When he is in the car, he has a hard drive he connects to his stereo. His musical genre ranges from 1960's Motown to modern hip-hop and local hip-hop DJ mixes, again NEITHER of these are available to him on OTA radio.

My other black friends who do listen to OTA radio in this market listen to Kiss 104. I asked my one female friend who is 41 why not V-103, or Hot 107.9 "too much hard core hip-hop and I'm old school, and I don't have an MP3 car stereo so there really isn't anything else to listen to on the dial". Yet I've listened to Kiss 104 and they you'll hardly ever hear anything from any R&B artists before 1990. Certainly no MoTown or 70s disco. But she settles for what is there, but once she has a choice (and gets a new stereo or car), will she still tune in? Doubtful.

So "white" audiences are just as ignored in this market as so-called "black" ones. I personally miss Jammin 107.5 when Radio One first put it on the air in 1997/1998. It was a deep reaching playlist not heard anywhere else. 99.3 is about as close as it comes to this, but with a w e a k translator of a class C AM, will people like my friends shut off their crystal clear MP3 collections to put up with static crashes and ads? I doubt it. Most radio listeners tune out if a signal is full of static and when the first obnoxious ad comes on, hitting the next preset button for whoever is playing MUSIC or CONTENT they find interesting. This market's dial is lined with homogeneous corporate big stick formats full of babbling right wingers, lame voice tracked music stations, or even crappier sounding translators with poor audio quality and even poorer playlists. (97.9, what a waste of RF.)

The way this market is programmed is caustic when it comes to music formats and all it is doing is causing people to just say "fork it" with OTA radio. It's not like any of the content is local anymore. All voice tracked from somewhere else and all carefully selected by a computer programmed by some suit in Dallas, TX or NYC or the butt crack of America for that matter.

If people want to listen to "carefully selected computer programmed" music, they can get that on their I-whatever with the exact playlist THEY want when they want it, without the blaring ads for sleazy title pawn brokers and "natural male enhancement" spots.

Gone are the local DJ's who interacted with the listeners and made radio fun. Maybe if there was some local compelling CONTENT more people would tune in.
Oh wait, we had that, it was called Album 88 and Georgia State and the gold dome good ol' boys put the brakes on that.

(okay here's where all the corporate suit "experts" are gonna tell me I'm wrong so have at it)

Most black folks I know in my pier group don't listen to Atlanta radio at all. My boss is black and if she listens to radio, it's online either V-103 out of not Atlanta but Chicago or WBLS from NYC. I asked why not any of the many "black" stations in ATL and she said "they don't play anything I like". It's either that or she jams to her wide selection of MP3 files like most everyone else these days. My best friend, who also happens to be black and my age, never listens to terrestrial radio and gave up on it about 10 years ago. Same reason: nothing of interest to him. When he is in the car, he has a hard drive he connects to his stereo. His musical genre ranges from 1960's Motown to modern hip-hop and local hip-hop DJ mixes, again NEITHER of these are available to him on OTA radio.

My other black friends who do listen to OTA radio in this market listen to Kiss 104. I asked my one female friend who is 41 why not V-103, or Hot 107.9 "too much hard core hip-hop and I'm old school, and I don't have an MP3 car stereo so there really isn't anything else to listen to on the dial". Yet I've listened to Kiss 104 and they you'll hardly ever hear anything from any R&B artists before 1990. Certainly no MoTown or 70s disco. But she settles for what is there, but once she has a choice (and gets a new stereo or car), will she still tune in? Doubtful.

So "white" audiences are just as ignored in this market as so-called "black" ones. I personally miss Jammin 107.5 when Radio One first put it on the air in 1997/1998. It was a deep reaching playlist not heard anywhere else. 99.3 is about as close as it comes to this, but with a w e a k translator of a class C AM, will people like my friends shut off their crystal clear MP3 collections to put up with static crashes and ads? I doubt it. Most radio listeners tune out if a signal is full of static and when the first obnoxious ad comes on, hitting the next preset button for whoever is playing MUSIC or CONTENT they find interesting. This market's dial is lined with homogeneous corporate big stick formats full of babbling right wingers, lame voice tracked music stations, or even crappier sounding translators with poor audio quality and even poorer playlists. (97.9, what a waste of RF.)

The way this market is programmed is caustic when it comes to music formats and all it is doing is causing people to just say "fork it" with OTA radio. It's not like any of the content is local anymore. All voice tracked from somewhere else and all carefully selected by a computer programmed by some suit in Dallas, TX or NYC or the butt crack of America for that matter.

If people want to listen to "carefully selected computer programmed" music, they can get that on their I-whatever with the exact playlist THEY want when they want it, without the blaring ads for sleazy title pawn brokers and "natural male enhancement" spots.

Gone are the local DJ's who interacted with the listeners and made radio fun. Maybe if there was some local compelling CONTENT more people would tune in.
Oh wait, we had that, it was called Album 88 and Georgia State and the gold dome good ol' boys put the brakes on that.

(okay here's where all the corporate suit "experts" are gonna tell me I'm wrong so have at it)

Thank you, this is why I started this thread.

WRAS/Album88 would still be around if they were actually doing "compelling" content. While the GSU president didn't handle the situation very well, he was right to question the value of a station only serving 40-50 thousand people in a market of 4.5 million.
I have listened to 88.5 since the early 70s and have great affection for the station. However, in the last few years it has become too eclectic and unfocused. It is more like WREK and no market needs more than one WREK.

Huh? Really? It's statements like this that kill your credibility. The city of Atlanta is loaded with live & local DJs. Lots of local listener events where the DJs interact with listeners. Lots of ways the local DJs engaged with their listeners. Maybe not you or your friends. But lots of other people. Otherwise, why would advertisers buy time on those stations? Why would companies sponsor all those listener appreciation events? Is it all one big charade? Really? More likely you're upset because radio doesn't play your favorite songs, so you invent a bunch of fiction that the whole city feels the same way. I understand that you miss the way things used to be. Lots of people your age feel the same way. That's not a radio problem.

Thank you.

Excellent observations. I can remember when the mark of a good DJ was that the phones lit up while he was on the air. Requests were solicited, because that was real interaction. Sure, a cooked-up remote from some fair or car lot opening is nice, but it was the day-to-day, everyday interaction that made local radio local. I can remember when if any church or civic group was holding any sort of public event, the local station made sure that the local DJs in the studio knew about them and plugged them on the air. I can remember when local DJs knew the local pronunciation of local places, which were often a bit different from how those same places were pronounced in the rest of the world.

Actually, in my area, the Norwegians, Greeks, Swedes, Finns, Serbs, Danes, and for all I know Armenians, DO listen to polka music. And the top polka show host here is named Patrick Cadigan (definitely none of the above!)

And yes, once upon a time he was "Pat the Cat" Cadigan, the rockin' DJ Bob Dylan mentioned growing up listening to. That was then. Now he's just an early-morning right-wing grump who does da polka show as a weekend sideline, doncha know...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom