• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

USC's KDFC Expands to Livermore

USC has entered into a "license swap" agreement with the new Livermore NCE CP holder (Galaxy Cat) USC will get 89.9 Livermore while Galaxy Cat will get K212AA in Los Gatos (90.9 ). The translator has an approved mod to increase power from 16.5 to 55 watts and greatly increase coverage area into most of San Josè. Filed today.

This likely will be a relay of the main KDFC classical radio service but it could be used to relay their HD2 service.

NCE Livermore https://fccdata.org/?facid=766057
K212AA Los Gatos. https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=K212AA

Last edited:
Galaxy Cat cannot use it to rebroadcast their LPFM KGXY-LP

Commonly-owned translators​

The Commonly-owned translator is actually licensed to the same organization that is licensed to operate the LPFM station. For Commonly-owned translators, the FCC has established several restrictions that only apply to LPFM commonly-owned translator stations:
  • An LPFM station is limited to owning only two commonly-owned translators.
  • The commonly-owned translator must be located within 20 miles of the LPFM station's transmitter location or the reference coordinates for the city of license (The latter part is exclusive to LPFM translators). This distance is 10 miles when the LPFM station is in one of the Neilsen Audio top-50 media markets.

I believe you're correct, channel 212 would be 90.3, not 90.9 (which is channel 215).

(For extra credit, would a station on 87.9 be channel 200?)
It moved from 90.3 to 90.9 with the increase in power. Take look at the history at the fccdata.org page above. Also take a look at the price paid when the license was transferred to Classical Public Radio LLC. They paid $205,000.00 for that 10-watt translator.

And yes, 87.9 is channel 200. The one and only licensed station on that frequency (AFAIK) is K200AA in Reno. KSFH in Mountain View used to be there, but they have since turned in their license.

Dave B.

Yes.. I apologize for the "mis-channeling" of the translator.. I bet Los Gatos can be flipped to EMF for a pretty penny in any case..

Galaxy Cat cannot use it to rebroadcast their LPFM KGXY-LP

What could be arranged is for KGXY-LP to be simulcast on one of KXSC’s HD channels. That HD channel feeds the translator. A nice work-around of the rules…if you want to call it that.

The only fly in the ointment is it being owned in the same name. Technically, I don’t think they’re allowed to own it under the same name. Start up another nonprofit, transfer the translator to them for little/no consideration.

Last edited:
What could be arranged is for KGXY-LP to be simulcast on one of KXSC’s HD channels. That HD channel feeds the translator. A nice work-around of the rules…if you want to call it that.

I’ve asked about KGXY-LP and been told it is off the air anyway, not sure what their programming is. It doesn’t even really reach anything.

They have a CP to change locations and COL.

I’m curious, is “Galaxy Cat” related to “Pirate Cat” radio that used to come and go from the SF airwaves in the 90’s-00’s?

Everyone gets a trophy! The 90.9 callsign for the uograded Los Gatos translator is K215FQ. It's in the approved CP filing paperwork.

Hmmm. Michi commented that LPFMs relaying full-power statiins was not a kosher affair in the eyes of the FCC. I still see a quick flip sale for 90.9 unless it can find a primary source such as an HDx for a fill-in service.

Back
Top Bottom