• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

US 103.5

T

TampaTV

I know the two morning side-kicks are live and local on US 103.5, but what about the girl middays and the guy late in the day. So far I've been rather disappointed in the DJ's they've hired. These folks could be voice tracked and may not even be in Tampa. Does anyone know? They never really talk about local stuff. The other day there was a horrible storm in Tampa that moved right into St. Petersburg and Pinellas Park. I was listening to 103.5 and the late afternoon guy (I don't know his name) was just doing generic liner comments and made a comment about a nice day. While I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with rain and lightning everywhere I began to wonder if this guy is even in our area? ?

VOICE TRACKING SUCKS!

A perfect example of how a certain company with two C's in the name thinks it's tricking folks into thinking that everything is local, when it isn't. In this case, CAUGHT RED HANDED!

US 103.5 is probably voice tracked. There's is also a US 95.7 in their San Diego sister market. I would not be suprised if a couple of the voice tracks are the same there too!

(And as many of you know, they have a 933 there too, very similar to WFLZ, but that's another thread...)

The other day there was a horrible
> storm in Tampa that moved right into St. Petersburg and
> Pinellas Park. I was listening to 103.5 and the late
> afternoon guy (I don't know his name) was just doing generic
> liner comments and made a comment about a nice day. While I
> was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with rain and
> lightning everywhere I began to wonder if this guy is even
> in our area? ?
>

> I know the two morning side-kicks are live and local on US
> 103.5, but what about the girl middays and the guy late in
> the day.

You heard the two morning side-kicks live and local? Whenever I've tuned in, I've just heard the station play recorded bits in the morning from the sidekicks telling everyone to stay tuned for Skip and the new morning show. (They never mention how long it's gonna take.)

Re: VOICE TRACKING SUCKS!

> A perfect example of how a certain company with two C's in
> the name thinks it's tricking folks into thinking that
> everything is local, when it isn't. In this case, CAUGHT RED
> HANDED!
>
> US 103.5 is probably voice tracked. There's is also a US
> 95.7 in their San Diego sister market. I would not be
> suprised if a couple of the voice tracks are the same there
> too!
>
> (And as many of you know, they have a 933 there too, very
> similar to WFLZ, but that's another thread...)
>
>
>
> The other day there was a horrible
> > storm in Tampa that moved right into St. Petersburg and
> > Pinellas Park. I was listening to 103.5 and the late
> > afternoon guy (I don't know his name) was just doing
> generic
> > liner comments and made a comment about a nice day. While
> I
> > was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with rain and
> > lightning everywhere I began to wonder if this guy is even
>
> > in our area? ?
> >
>

I wouldn't consider that an example of why voice tracking sucks. I'd consider it an example of a talent not using their noggin. Weather can change rather quickly in Florida, when I voice tracked there I never made reference to the weather. Just did the liners, and slipped in any bits I had. Doing the weather during voice tracking has way too much risk.<P ID="signature">______________
April 29, 2005
5pm
</P>

The bottom line remains simply: VOICE TRACKING SUCKS...PERIOD!<P ID="signature">______________
Robert Charles Pickering
Lakeland, Florida</P>

Yes, I heard the two morning side kicks live several times. They were really bad. I don't know if the other day parts are voice tracked. Maybe they are just local and clueless.

The previous poster who mentioned how when he voice tracked he wouldn't talk about the weather because it was just too risky, that's a perfect example of why voice tracking sucks. It is a local radio station? Right? Guess not.

Re: Answer to original post on US-103-5 voicetracking

To answer the original question.... Yes, it's voice tracked. In fact, last I heard, the station was running off a computer at the MD's desk. No control board, no board ops, no studio. Next time you listen... see if you can catch any of the jocks giving their name. You won't hear em ever do it. It's because they don't want recognition sicne they won't be on the station after October. By then they'll have all the permanant V-T'ers hired. :)

Well.....

Do it well, do it right or don't bother. I prep on cities I track probably more than the talent that live there. It's really not hard to do however EVERY format is different. You have to think about the audience you're speaking to. If you really pay attention to a station enough, besides the morning show, most other dayparts speek about concerts , promotions and artist stuff. That's really about it. The whole LOCAL thing to me is just a hot button for people to bitch endlessly about VT'ing when in A LOT of cases it's really not a factor. The guy above complaining about it raining in St. Pete and the jock saying it was a nice day. How long have you lived here???? Where I am in Brandon it was a nice day. Hell around here it could rain in your front yard and not the back. Come on...let's not nit pick. Just because I'm a thousand miles away and talk about a story off that cities local newschannel website is wrong? That's what everyone else in that market does so why can't I? If you catch me in a market you'll get the weather, storm warings, watches, school closing and so on. Voice tracking does not suck. The people who don't do it right are the ones who suck or just want the money and don't care. It's really not that hard to do.

r

Re: Well.....

> Do it well, do it right or don't bother. I prep on cities I
> track probably more than the talent that live there. It's
> really not hard to do however EVERY format is different. You
> have to think about the audience you're speaking to. If you
> really pay attention to a station enough, besides the
> morning show, most other dayparts speek about concerts ,
> promotions and artist stuff. That's really about it. The
> whole LOCAL thing to me is just a hot button for people to
> bitch endlessly about VT'ing when in A LOT of cases it's
> really not a factor. The guy above complaining about it
> raining in St. Pete and the jock saying it was a nice day.
> How long have you lived here???? Where I am in Brandon it
> was a nice day. Hell around here it could rain in your front
> yard and not the back. Come on...let's not nit pick. Just
> because I'm a thousand miles away and talk about a story off
> that cities local newschannel website is wrong? That's what
> everyone else in that market does so why can't I? If you
> catch me in a market you'll get the weather, storm warings,
> watches, school closing and so on. Voice tracking does not
> suck. The people who don't do it right are the ones who suck
> or just want the money and don't care. It's really not that
> hard to do.
>
Voice tracking is better than nobody. ( AKA COX Broadcasting)
> r
>

Reminds me of a scene from the old WKRP. An elderly Herb Tarlek walks over to a machine...says goodnight. Signs off the station. He was the only employee.

We had a good laugh over that one in 1980 or so. Of course we all thought it would never...could never happen..right?

Yeah, I know, I know...VT doesn't suck...especially when youre one of the VT'ers, lol

> Reminds me of a scene from the old WKRP. An elderly Herb
> Tarlek walks over to a machine...says goodnight. Signs off
> the station. He was the only employee.
>
> We had a good laugh over that one in 1980 or so. Of course
> we all thought it would never...could never happen..right?
>
> Yeah, I know, I know...VT doesn't suck...especially when
> youre one of the VT'ers, lol
>

My guess is US 103-5 will add more live personalities in the future. Didn't they just hire their PD? I think that CC is aware that they won't make much of a dent against WQYK if they are only live in AM drive. If it was Cox, I wouldn't be so optimistic.

Re: Well.....

> Do it well, do it right or don't bother. I prep on cities I
> track probably more than the talent that live there. It's
> really not hard to do however EVERY format is different. You
> have to think about the audience you're speaking to. If you
> really pay attention to a station enough, besides the
> morning show, most other dayparts speek about concerts ,
> promotions and artist stuff. That's really about it. The
> whole LOCAL thing to me is just a hot button for people to
> bitch endlessly about VT'ing when in A LOT of cases it's
> really not a factor. The guy above complaining about it
> raining in St. Pete and the jock saying it was a nice day.
> How long have you lived here???? Where I am in Brandon it
> was a nice day. Hell around here it could rain in your front
> yard and not the back. Come on...let's not nit pick. Just
> because I'm a thousand miles away and talk about a story off
> that cities local newschannel website is wrong? That's what
> everyone else in that market does so why can't I? If you
> catch me in a market you'll get the weather, storm warings,
> watches, school closing and so on. Voice tracking does not
> suck. The people who don't do it right are the ones who suck
> or just want the money and don't care. It's really not that
> hard to do.
>
> r
>

And having heard Riggie's VT work in Lousiville, I can make two comments:

1) He does, in fact, do it well

2) He's 100 times better than anyone they could find in the market.<P ID="signature">______________
"With God as my witness, I could have sworn turkeys could fly."</P>

VOICE TRACKING

Welcome to radio reality in the new millenium.

What sucks worse than voice tracking is how over the years many (not all) of the newer generation of air talent were ill-trained or unwilling to earn their stripes. Unlike their predecessors, many felt like it was an entitlement to get their own show, then put the minimum into that show to get by and many of these jocks have been the ones pushed aside by voice tracking (plus those with a lot of experience who got spoiled in the eighties, refused to do more than their 4 hour airshift and were eventually deemed less valuable by their stations and clusters). Radio has come full-circle and these days it's not unusual or unreasonable to be required to wear multiple hats in some markets and clusters.

Voice tracking can be a great tool or it can be an excuse to be lazy and do radio on-the-cheap. But please don't give it a blanket condemnation because you were one of those pushed out by the technology.

> A perfect example of how a certain company with two C's in
> the name thinks it's tricking folks into thinking that
> everything is local, when it isn't. In this case, CAUGHT RED
> HANDED!
>
> US 103.5 is probably voice tracked. There's is also a US
> 95.7 in their San Diego sister market. I would not be
> suprised if a couple of the voice tracks are the same there
> too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom