• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Urban update - WTYB and Michael Baisden

E

edthedeal

Comulus Oldiies WTYB Savannah GA has flipped to Urban A/C " Magic 103.9 " .Michael Baisden show is now on WAMJ Atlanta , KSOC Dallas, WFUN ST. Louis and WKJS Richmond VA .<P ID="signature">______________
JACK FORMAT KILLED THE RADIO BIZ AS WE KNOW IT</P>

> Comulus Oldiies WTYB Savannah GA has flipped to Urban A/C "
> Magic 103.9 " .Michael Baisden show is now on WAMJ Atlanta ,
> KSOC Dallas, WFUN ST. Louis and WKJS Richmond VA .
>

Urban Radio has been killed. Thnak You Clear Channel, Radio One and all the other companies that killed Live Local Shows. If I stayed in Philly i would be upset to have to hear Tom Joyner in the Morning, Local mid-day's, Michael Baisden Afternoons and Live Local at night (im talking about WDAS). And its the same with Power 99.

I guess I will be ok as long as the syndication bug dont hit Norfolk VA. <P ID="signature">______________
[email protected]</P>

> > Comulus Oldiies WTYB Savannah GA has flipped to Urban A/C
> "
> > Magic 103.9 " .Michael Baisden show is now on WAMJ Atlanta
> ,
> > KSOC Dallas, WFUN ST. Louis and WKJS Richmond VA .
> >
>
> Urban Radio has been killed. Thnak You Clear Channel, Radio
> One and all the other companies that killed Live Local
> Shows. If I stayed in Philly i would be upset to have to
> hear Tom Joyner in the Morning, Local mid-day's, Michael
> Baisden Afternoons and Live Local at night (im talking about
> WDAS). And its the same with Power 99.
>
> I guess I will be ok as long as the syndication bug dont hit
> Norfolk VA.
>

You are absolutely correct! As an Ops. Manager (Notice I didnt say PD) of an Urban AC, It is frustrating to have to go that route, but it is a matter of two major facts...

1. Economics: Urban listeners dont fill out diaries as they should which kills urban advertising buys, which kills local jock salaries. Put simply, NO MONEY FOR LOCAL PROGRAMMING! When it comes to a larger station or company, the philos is "Why should we.....WE ARE THE ONLY CATERER IN TOWN!" (Blame that one on the FCC, and the fact that folks keep listening to things they claim they dont want to hear.)

Part 2 There is no such thing as a PD anymore. In most cases, the title exists only for the GM or owner to have someone to blame for his/her own bad decisions, or to do what he/she is willing to admit they have no clue about. Remember GM's rarely come from programming, yet they do have final say on all programming decisions. (Which reminds me... I need to get the gardener to fine tune the suspension on my Lotus!) The art of programming is becoming a lost one. There is no longer any such thing as talent development, and the notion of someone who is talented enough to manage their own show to any degree has all but vanished due to those economic/development factors (thus no personality in local radio...just liner monkeys). Those so qualified ultimately go syndicated, and create an environment for themselves in which they can eat, pay rent, and showcase their talent....Was that a run on sentence????lol

But keep the faith my friend....When XM and Sirius get done with terrestrial radio, all will come to understand that LOCALISM, PERSONALITY, and CONTENT are the ONLY means of survival for our medium.remember, they said no one would pay for tv when cable came out, and it didn't have commercials either.)

Remember, they said no one would pay for tv when cable came out, and it didn't have commercials either....but then came FREE equipment, a separation between basic and premium, (a fancy way of saying commercials or no commercials)and it all worked because network TV sucked......sound familiar?

Well gotta go...HOGAN KNOWS BEST is coming on MTV.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom