• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Update on stupid telco STL

S

SamBuca

I put Tellabs amps on both ends of the line for a better s/n ratio...transmitter side is now on minimum gain dip switch settings with the gain trimmer pot all the way down...it's getting a nice strong level. Still a hum. The hum is not present when I yank the fuse from the transmitter side demarc and the hum doesn't change when I yank the fuse from the studio side demarc.

It HAS to be in the telco line. Since Sprint refuses to change the pair, I'm going to swap it with another pair we're using for the ARC-16. It started raining tonight and the hum got worse. Hmmmm...sounds like a bummy pair to me.

I liked the idea of running 2 DSL modems back to back and throwing that STL-IP from AudioTX in there or something. If I put a filter on the line, I can still use it for analog audio transmission. Grabbing a Cisco Aironet 1400 for 5.8ghz unlicensed STL is expensive as hell considering you still need some sort of STL over IP system on top of it.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> I put Tellabs amps on both ends of the line for a better s/n
> ratio...transmitter side is now on minimum gain dip switch
> settings with the gain trimmer pot all the way down...it's
> getting a nice strong level. Still a hum. The hum is not
> present when I yank the fuse from the transmitter side
> demarc and the hum doesn't change when I yank the fuse from
> the studio side demarc.
>
> It HAS to be in the telco line. Since Sprint refuses to
> change the pair, I'm going to swap it with another pair
> we're using for the ARC-16. It started raining tonight and
> the hum got worse. Hmmmm...sounds like a bummy pair to me.
>
> I liked the idea of running 2 DSL modems back to back and
> throwing that STL-IP from AudioTX in there or something. If
> I put a filter on the line, I can still use it for analog
> audio transmission. Grabbing a Cisco Aironet 1400 for
> 5.8ghz unlicensed STL is expensive as hell considering you
> still need some sort of STL over IP system on top of it.
>

I am not sure what the encoding delay would be, but for a $700 quick and dirty DSL STL, you could try using the BARIX instreamer and extreamer. We use it for our web encoding because it was cheaper than the AudioActive units and more reliable than a PC. The only outages we have had is when our instreamer gets flooded with port scans. Adjusting the firewall settings fixed that.

The encoding is VBR mp3 and the quality is pretty amazing. We're running 82-86 kpbs at a 32kHz sampling rate and it sounds great on home stereos event at that rate.

I can't find the delay in any of the docs. If it's more than like 50ms from studio to transmitter than it's too much.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> Rain=Greater hum=bad pair with a short to another pair or
> ground.

It also picks up voltages from an adjacent pair somewhere...we hear it everytime their line rings.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom