• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Under Appreciated LA Radio Stations

The station was originally KKOP Redondo Beach, and among other things they presented German language programming on weekends in the 1960s...
I should add that sometime after KFOX 1280 dropped Country and became KFRN Religious. 93.5 acquired the K-FOX calls and went to an AC type format. Now KFOX is on 1650 a Korean language station.

has there ever been a radio station to flip from a religious format to something else? That seems like a first
In addition to those cited by others here, there are two I can think of in Phoenix.

1230 AM went religion in 1978 (after a long run as Top 40 KRIZ), was sold and brought back as an AC (KAMJ) in 1986. It's been KOY since 1999.

107.9 FM was brokered religion until 1988 when Shamrock bought them and it became Country KMLE---which it is to this day.

In addition to those cited by others here, there are two I can think of in Phoenix.

1230 AM went religion in 1978 (after a long run as Top 40 KRIZ), was sold and brought back as an AC (KAMJ) in 1986. It's been KOY since 1999.

107.9 FM was brokered religion until 1988 when Shamrock bought them and it became Country KMLE---which it is to this day.
BTW, what happened to the original 550 KOY?

Daytime, 550 and 620 have about the same coverage. Nights, directional 620 is better in some directions and not as good in others.

And the Phoenix metro has grown so far in all directions that neither station's night pattern adequately covers the market (important for several months of the year when part of both morning and afternoon drive are on night pattern).

Back
Top Bottom