• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TWO nameless horses?

I seem to remember Smoky Mt. Rain being played on WWKX...and or WKDF...along with songs from Charlie Daniels and yes even Rose Colored Glasses and Elvira. Could I be wrong? Sure...just ask my wife!

Apparently, firepoint525, deltas69 & krOnic are the only people on this board that listens and gives a damn about Hippie because they are the only ones committing about it. I live in Rutherford County and I cannot pick it up where I live. I have listened to it at work a few times (West Nashville) and I'm just not that impressed with it. Other than Joe Case and Keith Bilbrey, are any of the other Air Personalities even in the Nashville area? Or are they doing Voice Tracking like Spider Harrison is doing? Are Joe Case and Keith Bilbrey even in the studio or are they also VTing from their homes? I just get the feeling that the few times I have listened to the Hippie, that neither the Morining drive jock nor the Afternoon drive jock are actually in Nashville while they are doing their show but VTing from their home studios, where ever they may be.

Well, I've done some commenting. Like the format and the fact that they play a lot of songs normally not in a classic hits format rotation. Not particularly thrilled with where the Music City Roots stuff goes, and I really don't care for the voice tracking of Spider and Mark McGill. So, for my $.02, I like the format idea; I just wish the execution was a little better. Air coverage is somewhat spotty, especially going up and down some hills in West Nashville, but for 5kw (I guess that's still their power), they get out there amazingly well. I think they are trying hard, but calling an 800 number to talk to a jock is still hard to accept. More local personality interaction would be great. Not sure they have cultivated a "listener family" like Coyote, Gerry, and Carl P did in their respective heydays.

I asked this very question a few weeks ago..and the word I got from knowledgeable sources was The morning jock is Live in studio...everyone else is VT..and sound like it..Nothing against Joe or Kieth..but don't they come from a background other than Rock, top 40, ..etc ?? The format is the best an "oldies' station has ever had in Nashville..with the exception of the type songs mentioned here..very deep and wide compared to the same 300 formerly played at the other stations..but the lack of "local" content is obvious to those of us who have played the radio game..maybe not so much to the average listener who just wants their oldies 'fix"...but then again..one of my listeners on my toy show called and asked me.."are the dj's recorded down there"..so maybe it is more obvious to "Joe Average' than one thinks. I understand the money angle..not a lot of money...even less power...so have to cut expenses all across the board..would that it had the likes of an Allan Dennis, Dick Kent, or Coyote or dare I say it..some of us on the board ..etc..that would really make it shine.... ::)

jwk1979 said:
Apparently, firepoint525, deltas69 & krOnic are the only people on this board that listens and gives a damn about Hippie because they are the only ones committing about it. I live in Rutherford County and I cannot pick it up where I live.
I have been fairly critical of them, but I still listen to them, mainly because everyone else in Nashville is even worse! I live near their transmitter site on McCrory Lane, which also doubles as "my" cellphone tower (whenever I am here at home, of course!). I sympathize with your inability to pick it up down in Rutherford County, but I have noticed that they are heavily pushing their app, so that you can listen online. Maybe they see that as the future of radio? I don't know. I haven't been in Rutherford County lately, but I had no trouble receiving them in Antioch, whenever I was there, albeit not strong enough to stop the seek/scan button on my car radio. (Also listened to WVCP from over there; I definitely cannot receive them (WVCP) here at home.)
barnaby_wilde said:
calling an 800 number to talk to a jock is still hard to accept.
I was wondering if maybe that was a setup that allowed Spider Harrison to be reached by phone during his shift, even though he is supposedly based in California, according to someone here last year. In other words, I am wondering if toll-free numbers can ring in more than one location, such as here in Nashville, and out there in California. Again, I don't know. Maybe the second phone line could be seen as an "extension."
deltas69 said:
I asked this very question a few weeks ago..and the word I got from knowledgeable sources was The morning jock is Live in studio...everyone else is VT..and sound like it..
That is the impression that I get as well. But even Lucky's weekend shift appears to be VT'ed.

ShadowB said:
I seem to remember Smoky Mt. Rain being played on WWKX...and or WKDF...along with songs from Charlie Daniels and yes even Rose Colored Glasses and Elvira. Could I be wrong? Sure...just ask my wife!
Hearing "Rose Colored Glasses" over a supposedly pop-rock station must have been a distinctively Nashville thing, because I did not hear it in west Tennessee, where I lived at the time, except on country stations. The others that you mentioned, yes, definitely. I was aware of John Conlee's past as a radio jock here, so maybe that figured into his getting airplay (pop or otherwise) locally.

I too, have been critical when duly deserved, as most of us know what Top 40 /Rock radio used to sound like in Nashville. The one redeeming feature is they have such a deep playlist compared to the consultant driven 300 song stations that used to on the air here..I think over the past fifteen years or so...the radio listener has been 'dumbed down" so as not to expect much other than force fed 30 song playlists ,,add to that the ability to ipod your own station without spots in your pocket..and you get what we have to day that passes for radio..check this out Arab Alabama..population 8,000 on a good day average age 42...this station is programmed by none other than Michael St. John of Kixx 104 fame..Just a small AM station..but a lesson in what can be done..true he does some VT'ing as well..seems that is a cruel mistress one can not avoid in today's economy but compare to Nashville http://www.fun927.com/default.asp?pid=99808

You bring up a good point firepoint525 . Radio here WAS "distinctively [a] Nashville thing". As it was in Knoxville and all over the country. Sure stations played much of the same music but they also played music that fit the area they were in. We all had DJ's that talked and entertained us and played music we liked. At one time I loved to scan the dial when on a road trip just to hear the radio "flavor" from town to town. Now I don't even turn it on because it's the same from state to state.
I can remember when satellite radio first came around and radio saying the best way to fight it was to be local. But now with PPM the jocks don't even do station "calls" and in some cases can only talk 20 seconds max per break.
Funny I remember hearing how radio had changed so much from the old timers when I first got in back in the early 80's...Now I'm the old timer....hahah
Hey you kids get out of my yard...and where the hell is my ipod...

I listened a lot at first, until I heard "Chick-A-Boom" two weekdays in a row in the same hour (5pm). I enjoyed the deep playlist but it's not as deep as my home playlist. I now listen mostly to 105.9 again. But if Hippie had some "Top40 sounding" DJs I would probably listen more. Top40 oldies without the Top40 DJs just doesn't sound right. They don't have to scream, but at least be tighter-don't wait for the song to end to start talking and talk up the intros. Keep some music under the patter.

Doubt their playlist is as deep any of us would like..but wayyyyy deeper than previous oldie incarnations..PirateJohnny is right..real live jocks who know the tunage would make a HUGE difference..... :eek:

kr0nic said:
jetfli said:
I'm surprised that you guys seem to be forgetting that Hippie is emulating Top 40 radio from the days when playlists mirrored the Billboard Singles chart — which of course featured the top 100 singles, no matter the genre. That Cash or Conlee or Kenny or Dolly entered a Top 40 playlist was because it was on the Billboard Singles chart. And if it was something like "One Piece At a Time" we didn't think of it as a "crossover," it was just another "novelty song" like Dickie Goodman's montages or a Ray Stevens tune.
Well then, bring on the Sinatra and Dean Martin.
Excellent point. Just because something was played "back then" doesn't mean that it should be played now. I grew up in a small town in west Tennessee that had just one AM station. (They had an FM station in town, too, but FM had not come into its own just yet.) So naturally, they had to play "something for everyone." The Sinatra and Dean Martin were throwbacks to my parents' heyday, while the then-current top 40 stuff was for my generation. Since there were fewer stations back then, they had to play a little bit of everything for everyone. They even dayparted back then, with country in the early morning, AC throughout much of the day, then top 40 for the rest of the day. And usually some gospel music on Sunday mornings, along with all the preaching services.

I am not in favor of revisionist history (probably one reason why I enjoy all the retro AT40 countdowns), but I am also not in favor of revisiting it either. Just because Anne Murray had a slew of hits back then doesn't mean that I want to hear them again. Even Mix 92.9 now opts for Kenny Loggins' version of "Danny's Song."
PirateJohnny said:
I listened a lot at first, until I heard "Chick-A-Boom" two weekdays in a row in the same hour (5pm). I enjoyed the deep playlist but it's not as deep as my home playlist. I now listen mostly to 105.9 again. But if Hippie had some "Top40 sounding" DJs I would probably listen more. Top40 oldies without the Top40 DJs just doesn't sound right. They don't have to scream, but at least be tighter-don't wait for the song to end to start talking and talk up the intros. Keep some music under the patter.
I remember those highly talkative djs of the past, but somehow, that just seems out of place now. Only talk over the outro of a song if the song actually HAS an outro, and only talk over the intro up to the point that the vocal starts. Lucky steps on the vocals almost every time he opens the mic! :mad: Again, it's kinda like I said earlier. No revisionist history, but no revisiting it, either. You just can't go home again. I remember as a kid, I recorded songs off the radio (onto 8-track tapes!), and back then, I didn't even mind if the jock talked over the intro of the song that I was recording, but somehow, that (overtalking the intros) just seems out of place now. So many of them just don't know how to do it right anymore. And I even place myself among that group.
ShadowB said:
You bring up a good point firepoint525 . Radio here WAS "distinctively [a] Nashville thing". As it was in Knoxville and all over the country. Sure stations played much of the same music but they also played music that fit the area they were in. We all had DJ's that talked and entertained us and played music we liked. At one time I loved to scan the dial when on a road trip just to hear the radio "flavor" from town to town. Now I don't even turn it on because it's the same from state to state.
That small station in the town where I grew up played Rick Christian's (the songwriter's) version of "I Don't Need You" a good three years before Kenny Rogers covered it (and probably made Rick Christian a very wealthy man!). He was from the county where I grew up. I did not know him personally, but his niece was a couple of years behind me in high school, and her brother was about my sister's age. I can't even find Rick Christian's version of "I Don't Need You" on YouTube now! :'( (And it was MUCH better than Rogers' version!)

deltas69 said:
Well that got top 40 airplay, along with his others back then..even his first hit, Gentle on my Mind with the banjo ..didn't seem out of place for some reason on AM rockers back then..

In the late 1960's and early 1970's while going to high school in Springfield I noticed WMAK / WKDA and most of the top stations played Credence Clearwater Revival, and Nashville Cats by the Lovin' Spoonful so Glen Campbell was not a "reach". With the Country folks recording mostly in Nashville, Nashville radio had a slight "country" tilt compared to WLS and WCFL (Springfield was out of WMAK's pattern at night). Funny thing earlier this year Mumford & Sons "I will Wait" seamed to more airplay on CHR than Counrty.

IMHO Variety was a strength of top 40.

We had to beg our GM at the time to let us play Allman Brothers Ramblin Man...he was dead set against it..said it was a country song..lol :eek:

I listened to 94.5 The Hippie this morning coming into work to see what all the fuss was about and I WAS NOT IMPRESSED!! If you have SiruisXM, it's basically the combining of 70s on 7 & 60s on 6 with out as deep a playlist. The DJ that was on this morning, Chris Lucky, played the song "96 Tears" - ? & the Mysterians, yet when he back tracted the name and artists after the song was over, instead of saying it was "Question Mark" and the Mysterians, he called them "Question" and the Mystrerians and then went on a rant about what kind of name was "Question" and how could any mother name their child "Question". When I hear something like that, my first impression is "Why should I care about this station when the on-air talent doesn't care if he calling the artists or the songs by wrong name." Just a little research by Chris Lucky or someone else in studio would have prevented that situation.

deltas69 said:
We had to beg our GM at the time to let us play Allman Brothers Ramblin Man...he was dead set against it..said it was a country song..lol :eek:
Had (kinda) the opposite situation at my first station. A small AM in rural northwest Tennessee pumping out a whopping 500 watts. It was country at the time. The PD there told me that "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites was perfectly okay to play there. I never particularly liked the song, but I just said "okay, whatever." I probably played it a few times myself. Seemed strange, though, because this station seemed to have a listening demo that was even older than my parents were at the time!

jwk1979 said:
I listened to 94.5 The Hippie this morning coming into work to see what all the fuss was about and I WAS NOT IMPRESSED!! If you have SiruisXM, it's basically the combining of 70s on 7 & 60s on 6 with out as deep a playlist. The DJ that was on this morning, Chris Lucky, played the song "96 Tears" - ? & the Mysterians, yet when he back tracted the name and artists after the song was over, instead of saying it was "Question Mark" and the Mysterians, he called them "Question" and the Mystrerians and then went on a rant about what kind of name was "Question" and how could any mother name their child "Question". When I hear something like that, my first impression is "Why should I care about this station when the on-air talent doesn't care if he calling the artists or the songs by wrong name." Just a little research by Chris Lucky or someone else in studio would have prevented that situation.
It gets worse, jwk. Last weekend, he ran a promo announcement about something going on over at "Wave COUNTY"! He has lived here for a year and a half (at least?) and he still does not know the proper name for that place? Even if he was reading from something with a typo in it, that is still inexcusable. ::) Since it was a pre-recorded promo, it apparently aired all last weekend! :eek:

I did not hear the "question" thing, but that is indeed typical Chris Lucky. He is indeed a legend in his own mind. ::)

Once I can afford Sirius XM for my car radio, I will probably never listen to "local" radio ever again. ::)

jwk1979 said:

That's what happens when you play mis-labeled mp3 files instead of vinyl oldies. But Chris has obviously never heard the original song, unless... he was making a poor joke about kids names, as in North West.

PirateJohnny said:
That's what happens when you play mis-labeled mp3 files instead of vinyl oldies. But Chris has obviously never heard the original song, unless... he was making a poor joke about kids names, as in North West.
And Mr. Lucky no doubt laughed his head off at his own lame "joke." Just as an aside, the MP3 file thing is no excuse. He should have known better.

Sorry I'm late to the game here, but nobody did country crossovers more than 92Q during the Urban Cowboy era... of course there was Johnny Lee and Mickey Gilley, but we threw in Dottie West's "Lesson in Leavin"... and plenty of folks played Elvira, but we also featured the Oak Ridge Boys' "Bobbie Sue".

That being said, I really did get a kick out of top 40's mantra that "a hit is a hit is a hit" that allowed a country song to play between urban, metal, and bubble gum songs, with the occasional TV show theme mixed in for good measure (Joey Scarbury anyone?)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom