• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two "America's Best Music" Stations on iHeartRadio Platform

If you like the mix of music on Westwood One's "America's Best Music" service, I see there's a second station on the iHeartRadio platform. KRIB Mason City, Iowa, is now available, along with WNAM Neenah-Menasha, WI (part of the Appleton-Oshkosh market). WNAM has been there a while, since it's owned by Cumulus. All Cumulus stations are available on iHeartRadio. Now KRIB, owned by Alpha Media, has joined it.

After listening to both stations, I think KRIB carries one extra Adult Standard each hour that isn't heard on WNAM. WNAM almost never plays an artist classified under "adult standards." Meanwhile, I heard KRIB play "All of Me" by Jerry Vale this morning and just now "Twilight Time" by The Platters.

I'm not sure if that's because KRIB doesn't take a commercial break that WNAM takes and maybe that's when ABM plays a standard? Or are syndicated music formats fed over the internet to their affiliates the specific way the station wants it? So a station can choose whether to air or skip a category of songs?

America's Best Music is fed by satellite, according to WestwoodOne.com. So it's just about which breaks one station takes or does not take.

All breaks on ABM are optional.. every single one all hour .. but are specific length breaks, since ABM is fed by satellite.

ABM fills those breaks, not with PSA's or national per inquiry spots (call now, 1800,....) but with exact length songs.

so if your ABM affiliate youre listening to over the air or online doesnt take that break, its filled. .and you might hear some of the same songs or songs you might not mrally here in the normal rotation

The top of hour break is 3mins or 6 mins 30 secs.. you can do a local break of either length.

Some stations will just do the ID and go right back to the satellite feed

The commercial breaks float durign the hour, about 15 to 18 after, about 30-35 after and about 45 to 50 after.. and you'll know the station isnt taking the option break when, after the DJ talks theres the 3 second stab ("america's Best music on WKBI) followed by a song.. or theres a short pause with dead air becausr the affiliate doesnt have the stab programmed in.. then more music.

I worked at a station that bought 2 additional stations, installed ABM on the AM and i was responsible for getting allllll the imaging..... stabs, return/rejoin lines, id's and etc set up proper;ly and i regularly conversed with the PD, Karl southcott... the son of one of the "Fathers" of standards on the radio, Chuck southcott.... we'd talk radio, go over formatics, etc etc

after the DJ talks theres the 3 second stab ("america's Best music on WKBI) followed by a song.
They haven't had DJs in close to ten years. Do you mean the recorded female voice that tells us how great the music is?

I haven't listened to the format except for going to the beach during the past year or so. I tried it at Christmas but I don't like their Christmas mix either, as it turns out.

They haven't had DJs in close to ten years. Do you mean the recorded female voice that tells us how great the music is?

I haven't listened to the format except for going to the beach during the past year or so. I tried it at Christmas but I don't like their Christmas mix either, as it turns out.

I know that. But thats what its called in the technical literature when setting up the network. But yes.

I used to listen to WNAM on a TiVo. I've forgotten what problems kept me from continuing. It would be nice if the stations I listen to now (more actual standards, fewer commercials and on one, no commercials) were on a separate machine because I think they're slowing my computer down. The TiVo has problems of its own that make it better not to use it more than necessary, and the newer TiVo that works better doesn't have the feature.

Back
Top Bottom