• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TV shows that were a no-no for some children to watch...

Not to mention that Rick Nelson later had a cocaine (aka coke) problem, with some still debating whether his fatal plane crash was the result of freebasing that got out of hand.

I think almost everybody over the age of 40 knows how Rick Nelson died on New Years Eye 1985. Under 40 the website Yahoo some years back for some reason declared war against the Coca-Cola company. I think Yahoo is partners with Red Bull or Monster energy drinks but anyway under 40 a lot of them view those who did old soda commercials as people who have diabetes and if they are no longer with us they died with diabetes and unfortunately that includes the Nelsons.

It's like there's no place people can go to look things up

I think almost everybody over the age of 40 knows how Rick Nelson died on New Years Eye 1985. Under 40 the website Yahoo some years back for some reason declared war against the Coca-Cola company. I think Yahoo is partners with Red Bull or Monster energy drinks but anyway under 40 a lot of them view those who did old soda commercials as people who have diabetes and if they are no longer with us they died with diabetes and unfortunately that includes the Nelsons.

That's right. And going down to the local library takes so much time, and it's hard to park. Then half the time, they don't have a book with the info you need anyway. If only there was an alternative...like some kind of encyclopedia you could buy that had EVERYTHING in it.:rolleyes:

Some people you can't reason with. For instance there was a guy who was a friend of mine on Facebook. He kept saying that Mary Tyler Moore died from lung cancer. I posted back saying that is not true. He then posted an old TV commercial with Mary selling Kent cigarettes and ask this question "explain this ??". He says that big tobacco and the government made up the diabetes angle to cover up the "real truth". We are no longer friends.

Oh there are still people who to this day say that David Bowie and Prince both died from AIDS. They don't believe anything else.

I used to watch Trauma Life in the ER a lot, and my parents frowned on me watching that show. Maybe because that show did not shy away from showing patients dying or operations.

Here's another one: "Divorce Court." That was on after school when I was a kid, but mom didn't want me watching because of the terrible things those husbands and wives would say about each other.

Here's another one: "Divorce Court." That was on after school when I was a kid, but mom didn't want me watching because of the terrible things those husbands and wives would say about each other.

Oh yes Divorce Court. Back in the 80s there was a girl who was in my class whose parents didn't allow her to watch that and the other court shows either at the time ( People's Court, Superior Court, The Judge and so forth ) because the parents believed that suing equals dirty money. They didn't believe in lawsuits. When our government class had a course in law the parents had her excused for taking the class.

Some people you can't reason with. For instance there was a guy who was a friend of mine on Facebook. He kept saying that Mary Tyler Moore died from lung cancer. I posted back saying that is not true. He then posted an old TV commercial with Mary selling Kent cigarettes and ask this question "explain this ??". He says that big tobacco and the government made up the diabetes angle to cover up the "real truth". We are no longer friends.

Oh there are still people who to this day say that David Bowie and Prince both died from AIDS. They don't believe anything else.

If doing commercials for cigarettes meant that you'd get lung cancer, there would be a lot more old-celebrity deaths, including Mike Wallace. I'm not sure what his cause of death was, but I know he was 90 something.
And Fred Flintstone never got lung cancer, and...oh, that's right - he's a cartoon.

I believe Kent cigarettes sponsored The Dick Van Dyke Show, so Dick probably did Kent commercials, too. He's 91 and still breathing.

Here's Mike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLZkwDkxYrY

My grandmother smoked all of her life and lived to almost 93. A smoker is more likely to get lung cancer but it's not guaranteed everyone who smokes will. Some non-smokers also get lung cancer.

If doing commercials for cigarettes meant that you'd get lung cancer, there would be a lot more old-celebrity deaths, including Mike Wallace. I'm not sure what his cause of death was, but I know he was 90 something.
And Fred Flintstone never got lung cancer, and...oh, that's right - he's a cartoon.

I believe Kent cigarettes sponsored The Dick Van Dyke Show, so Dick probably did Kent commercials, too. He's 91 and still breathing.

Here's Mike:

My grandmother smoked all of her life and lived to almost 93. A smoker is more likely to get lung cancer but it's not guaranteed everyone who smokes will. Some non-smokers also get lung cancer.

That's true, of course. I remember reading an article some years ago about one of the longest-living people in the world. A French woman who was 112, or some such. Naturally, they asked her the secret to her long life, and she responded that she quit smoking at 105.

It turned out she had lived in the same small village all her life, never learned to drive, and rode her bicycle everywhere; and never had a husband or children. So that was her real secret - no stress caused by a man or kids.:rolleyes:

Here's Mike:

Dick Van Dyke was indeed sponsored by Kent. I don't know how much Dick smoked or if he did but he sure seamed to know what he was doing in Cold Turkey but that was the early 70s.

I don't get the logic people have with cigarette and cigar ads if one does then they must have cancer. How would they explain George Burns ??? I have a rather large collection of commercials including lots of cigarette ads. I used to uploaded them on You Tube but I got tired of the cancer remarks ( with soda its always about diabetes ) so I deleted my account.

Last edited:
Dick Van Dyke was indeed sponsored by Kent. I don't know how much Dick smoked or if he did but he sure seamed to know what he was doing in Cold Turkey but that was the early 70s.

I don't get the logic people have with cigarette and cigar ads if one does then they must have cancer. How would they explain George Burns ??? I have a rather large collection of commercials including lots of cigarette ads. I used to uploaded them on You Tube but I got tired of the cancer remarks ( with soda its always about diabetes ) so I deleted my account.

It's never been about "If you smoke you WILL get lung cancer" or "If you drink sugary drinks you WILL develop diabetes." It's about people who do those things having a statistically better chance of suffering from those conditions. Now, if you think some global, left-wing, Al Gore-endorsed cabal of conspiratorial scientists is cooking those statistics to further their dreams of world domination or whatever, there is no way to argue with you because you've wrapped your head in tin foil.

I don't remember anyone saying that. I chose, of my own accord, never to smoke, even working in radio in the 70s where virtually everybody did. I think online commenters tend to be over the top. Bring up McDonald's on Facebook and 5 minutes later people are screaming "YOU'RE POISONING YOUR CHILDREN!!!!!". These folks remind me of the song, Junk Food Junkie"(blasting fast food online while standing in line in a trenchcoat ordering breakfast burritos).

It's never been about "If you smoke you WILL get lung cancer" or "If you drink sugary drinks you WILL develop diabetes." It's about people who do those things having a statistically better chance of suffering from those conditions. Now, if you think some global, left-wing, Al Gore-endorsed cabal of conspiratorial scientists is cooking those statistics to further their dreams of world domination or whatever, there is no way to argue with you because you've wrapped your head in tin foil.

It's never been about "If you smoke you WILL get lung cancer" or "If you drink sugary drinks you WILL develop diabetes." It's about people who do those things having a statistically better chance of suffering from those conditions.

I disagree !! To a lot of the millennials if one does smoke a cigarette or drink a Pepsi then here comes cancer and/or diabetes. My boss is 27 years old and she says if we are caught with a soda and/or cigarette than we will lose our health insurance on the spot but cigars, marijuana and Starbucks Coffee are OK. I guess I was right that one can not attack things that are popular. Have you ever seen an anti-smoking psa about cigars ?? Of course not since cigars unlike cigarettes are popular with the millennials. Sugary drinks equals soda since you can not really attack energy drinks, Gatorade or Starbucks Coffee, again because they are popular but Coke and Pepsi isn't. McDonalds and Walmart isn't cool so they are easy to attack but try to go after In-N-Out Burger or Target many people can't take it. Can't attack things that are..well "cool".

I disagree !! To a lot of the millennials if one does smoke a cigarette or drink a Pepsi then here comes cancer and/or diabetes. My boss is 27 years old and she says if we are caught with a soda and/or cigarette than we will lose our health insurance on the spot but cigars, marijuana and Starbucks Coffee are OK. I guess I was right that one can not attack things that are popular. Have you ever seen an anti-smoking psa about cigars ?? Of course not since cigars unlike cigarettes are popular with the millennials. Sugary drinks equals soda since you can not really attack energy drinks, Gatorade or Starbucks Coffee, again because they are popular but Coke and Pepsi isn't. McDonalds and Walmart isn't cool so they are easy to attack but try to go after In-N-Out Burger or Target many people can't take it. Can't attack things that are..well "cool".

In the 90's, I always thought it was hypocritical of Bill Clinton to push the Big Tobacco lawsuits when he was frequently photographed smoking cigars--since, of course, they don't cause cancer, LOL. Then again, he also didn't light them up on occasion...

In the 90's, I always thought it was hypocritical of Bill Clinton to push the Big Tobacco lawsuits when he was frequently photographed smoking cigars--since, of course, they don't cause cancer, LOL. Then again, he also didn't light them up on occasion...

Never having smoked a cigar, I'm not sure about this, but isn't most cancer associated with cigars confined to the mouth since cigar smokers don't take the big, deep drag that cigarette smokers do?

Never having smoked a cigar, I'm not sure about this, but isn't most cancer associated with cigars confined to the mouth since cigar smokers don't take the big, deep drag that cigarette smokers do?

It is but I would imagine other cancers are involved. The reason my boss allows them is the "don't inhale" rule but a lot of them do inhale especially with little cigars. This is one reason why I think our boss is "dumb". Like my co-worker who won't let her kids watch classic TV shows.

Last edited:
What's she got against classic TV shows?

She feels that old TV shows like I Love Lucy, Mister ED, Beaver and so forth show bad habits like smoking and soda drinking that she rather not have her kids to see plus old TV shows don't have much in the way in the way of diversity.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom