• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TV shows that were a no-no for some children to watch...

I don't remember any real restrictions, even stuff like "Peyton Place" or, when I could stay up, Carson's monologue. I was a little older when the more controversial (for its time) Norman Lear shows started.

I know, my parents let me watch "China Beach" even though, it could get violent once in a while. "The Real Ghostbusters" on the other hand..........Yeah, it was sometimes scary.

Growing up my parents didn't really closely monitor what we watched. My mother didn't allow me to watch soap operas as a young child if I happened to be home from school or on summer break during the day, as she thought they were trashy and didn't really watch them herself. Aside from that, I don't recall any TV shows being off limits and when we got our first VCR, a few of my siblings were older than me, and we were able to watch most anything we wanted to rent, even things like comedies that happened to include some risque scenes or double entendres (which were tame back then vs. modern standards). What most "overprotective" parents don't realize is that most of the adult-themed stuff flies past the kids without them realizing what it's even about in most cases and the kids don't even catch on...Unless the parents make a big deal about it or start calling it out and that's when they perk up and start taking notice. There were several movies I watched as a kid that I re-watched as an adult and only then did I actually understand some of the humor or get some of the true meanings.

I also think maybe it's better if kids see some TV shows that deal with more adult themes when they're with their parents, because if they don't understand some of the terminology or something that's said, at least they can ask their parents and get an understanding from them instead of maybe asking older kids at school who may fill them with BS, or look it up on the Web and get a different meaning altogether.
A lot of shows i watched, like Thirtysomething, China Beach and Homefront, were shows that dealt with more adult themes. I remember not understanding why Patricia Wettig as Nancy was crying in her car in the rain after her cancer diagnosis on Thirtysomething or how Kellie Martin as Becca on Life Goes On was crying about her boyfriend having AIDS/HIV. I had to lean on my mom to tell me what was happening sometimes and ask her about what was wrong with the characters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom