• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tucson FM for sale/ KEVT off again

C

CAVEMANager

Tucson radio stations are going for prices not seen in decades. This FM is listed for $650,000.
https://www.radiotvdeals.com/m8/251...ign=RadioTVDeals/DealMAKER! January 15, 2020
Not sure what station it is but it wouldn't be hard to find out.
Meanwhile KEVT-1210 is off the air again. I'm told by a reliable source that the Mexican preacher who was leasing the station couldn't make the payments to the station's owner. To complicate matters a bit, the owner of KEVT has sold the real estate under the towers.

Tucson radio stations are going for prices not seen in decades. This FM is listed for $650,000.
https://www.radiotvdeals.com/m8/251...ign=RadioTVDeals/DealMAKER! January 15, 2020
Not sure what station it is but it wouldn't be hard to find out.
Meanwhile KEVT-1210 is off the air again. I'm told by a reliable source that the Mexican preacher who was leasing the station couldn't make the payments to the station's owner. To complicate matters a bit, the owner of KEVT has sold the real estate under the towers.

Any guess which station this might be? I'm looking for a property there, but it needs to cover the Hispanic areas with a decent signal.

There's only a dozen "full service stations" licensed to 'Tucson'. Think this is a 'non-corporate' owner that wants out of the game?

I'm told by a reliable source that the station for sale is a 150 watt translator. Its signal would be slightly worse than K-DRY on 101.7. But in order to use this translator the buyer would either need to own an existing Tucson area station or lease one. One possibility might be to buy 1210 or 1330 and use it to feed audio to the translator.

I'm told by a reliable source that the station for sale is a 150 watt translator. Its signal would be slightly worse than K-DRY on 101.7. But in order to use this translator the buyer would either need to own an existing Tucson area station or lease one. One possibility might be to buy 1210 or 1330 and use it to feed audio to the translator.

Somehow im not sure i buy that.. someone would be nuts to pay that much for a piss poor signal that you could lose at anytime to a full power upgrading.. and you'd be even more stupid to buy that and an am, and be into it $2 mil before any staff or studsio upgrades/building.

Thankfully you don't have to feed a translator with the actual am air signal, you can do it buy STL

Somehow im not sure i buy that.. someone would be nuts to pay that much for a piss poor signal that you could lose at anytime to a full power upgrading.. and you'd be even more stupid to buy that and an am, and be into it $2 mil before any staff or studsio upgrades/building.

Thankfully you don't have to feed a translator with the actual am air signal, you can do it buy STL

KDRI was bought for $650k (see other thread here...) for a 250W translator along with a 50k AM blowtorch.

Later, rinse, repeat with similar money for the signal in question -plus- 1330 AM. A potentially turn-key operation awaits the right buyer.

KDRI was bought for $650k (see other thread here...) for a 250W translator along with a 50k AM blowtorch.

There was a blowtorch in Lil Ole Tucson? Why? That town is radio isolated. You can damn near cover the whole town by connecting your transmitter to your clothesline. (Yes, they still have clotheslines in Tucson.)

There was a blowtorch in Lil Ole Tucson? Why? <...>
The first one is daytimer 1550 KUAZ...

The last one (bought by Family Life Radio) went on-air in July of '86.

Yeah, it happens.

Anyone who thinks that Tucson is a tiny town hasn't been here in a long time.
I agree that $650,000 for a 150 watt translator is a high price. It is possible that the translator could be forced off the air by the establishment of a new full service broadcasting station. But that is very unlikely considering that the translator is on the second adjacent of a Class C station licensed to Tucson.

Changing the subject slightly, KUAZ on 1550 runs a sign off announcement at 5:15 p.m. but the station doesn't go off the air until 5:45 when they just chop the carrier with no legal ID. I find that amusing.

Somehow im not sure i buy that.. someone would be nuts to pay that much for a piss poor signal that you could lose at anytime to a full power upgrading..

You're smarter than that (I think).

Given how full the FM dial is these days, the opportunities for full-power stations to upgrade in most places are extremely limited. I just ran a project for a client looking at one of the frequencies that's up for auction next week. That poor facility was basically locked into an area less than a mile square - you either get it built there as a class A, or it doesn't get built out at all. And there's no upgrading it. (And this was in a part of the country much less densely built out than Tucson.)

Sure, translators are nominally secondary services. But it's easy enough to figure out whether or not there's any room for the full-power stations surrounding any given translator to pose an upgrade threat. 99% of the time, verging on 100% of the time, those full-power stations are already hemmed in where they are and can't make any further moves. I always run those studies for my clients; I'd be irresponsible as a broker or a consultant if I didn't.

Beyond that, the valuation depends on population covered and of course on the laws of supply and demand. If you want to be on FM in the part of Tucson where that signal reaches, and this is the only signal for sale right now that covers it, you wouldn't be "nuts" at all to pay a few hundred thousand dollars if it reaches a few hundred thousand people.

Anyone who thinks that Tucson is a tiny town hasn't been here in a long time.

Not tiny, parochial. What is it in miles from the Rincons to the east to the Tucson Mountains to the west - about 12-15 miles? And north to south (assuming you stop at I-10 and measure from the Catalina foothills) not even that far. We have shopping centers here in the Valley of the Sun that are larger than that - and buttes and small mountains in between.

The only real problem area in metro Tucson is that area of the NW which is partially blocked by the western edge of the Catalina's and you can get rid of that issue with proper placement of your antenna. Within the "bowl" of the Santa Cruz Valley there are no large obstructions, no mountains and very few big concrete buildings (clustered downtown). If you could stand on a stepladder in the geographical middle of town you have pure line of sight to everything except the aforementioned NW area just south of Marana. I used to ride my bicycle around the eastern Saguaro National Monument and could see Pichaco Peak clearly - more than 50 miles away.

The only problem with Tucson is the interference you get from the many thousands of burrito cookers going off at lunchtime (and boy, some of those are fantastically good!).

Not tiny, parochial. What is it in miles from the Rincons to the east to the Tucson Mountains to the west - about 12-15 miles? And north to south (assuming you stop at I-10 and measure from the Catalina foothills) not even that far. We have shopping centers here in the Valley of the Sun that are larger than that - and buttes and small mountains in between.

The only real problem area in metro Tucson is that area of the NW which is partially blocked by the western edge of the Catalina's and you can get rid of that issue with proper placement of your antenna. Within the "bowl" of the Santa Cruz Valley there are no large obstructions, no mountains and very few big concrete buildings (clustered downtown). If you could stand on a stepladder in the geographical middle of town you have pure line of sight to everything except the aforementioned NW area just south of Marana. I used to ride my bicycle around the eastern Saguaro National Monument and could see Pichaco Peak clearly - more than 50 miles away.

The only problem with Tucson is the interference you get from the many thousands of burrito cookers going off at lunchtime (and boy, some of those are fantastically good!).

'Saguaro National MONUMENT"?! It's been a National PARK since 1993 (Thank you, Jim Kolbe). We have our own beautiful National Park. Big boring Phoenix does not. Speedway Blvd. from city limit to city limit E-W is 17 miles. Add a couple more miles on each end to get you from Saguaro NP East to Tucson Mountain Park in the west so let's say 20 miles. Using Kolb Road/Sabino Canyon Road (same alignment), N-S from SunriseDrive to I-10 is just over 14 miles. Like you say,once you get around Pusch Ridge (western part of the Santa Catalina range), it opens up to nearly double that. Tuscon metro spills over into Pinal County (Saddlebrooke area) on the NW side. Your assumptions may be a bit 'parochial'. But we're used to that from our brethren to the north in the city we consider the 'bad example'.

'Saguaro National MONUMENT"?! It's been a National PARK since 1993 (Thank you, Jim Kolbe). We have our own beautiful National Park. Big boring Phoenix does not. Speedway Blvd. from city limit to city limit E-W is 17 miles. Add a couple more miles on each end to get you from Saguaro NP East to Tucson Mountain Park in the west so let's say 20 miles. Using Kolb Road/Sabino Canyon Road (same alignment), N-S from SunriseDrive to I-10 is just over 14 miles. Like you say,once you get around Pusch Ridge (western part of the Santa Catalina range), it opens up to nearly double that. Tuscon metro spills over into Pinal County (Saddlebrooke area) on the NW side. Your assumptions may be a bit 'parochial'. But we're used to that from our brethren to the north in the city we consider the 'bad example'.

I moved away from my old hometown in 1979 and have visited only when I needed refills of my favorite Mexican hot sauce. The names I use are those I remember from that date. In any event it does not make a hill of beans how you refer to the mon....er, park since everyone down yonder knows exactly of which you speak. And BTW, it's 'TUCSON' and not 'Tuscon'.

Likewise, I gave the mileage I remember from my trips across town during 1977-1979. I didn't retrieve my protractor and measure it exactly (and I am certain it has grown since I was last a resident). My point, of course, is that Tucson metro is tiny compared to Phoenix metro and you don't need me to tell you that. I was comparing the two areas and the ability of a RV or radio station to cover the entire metro. Easy peasy in Tucson. A bit more demanding in El Phoenix up north.

And to address some other issues you raised: Big, bad Phoenix has South Mountain Park. At 17,000 acres it is the largest municipal park in the United States, and one of the largest urban parks in North America and in the world. I didn't do a count but according to the Phoenix Parks Department there are over 100 public parks in Phoenix alone and that does not count all the others in the suburban cities (about a dozen or so). This list includes the very large and aquatic Encanto Park in the heart of the city which has a full lagoon and an amusement park inside. Nothing like that in the Old Pueblo. And should you ever travel up to Crown King, high up in the Bradshaw Mountains, you will find yet another Phoenix city park. So we have our version of Mt. Lemmon too.

I grew up in Tucson and it will always be my home town but if you compare the two cities you will find only one thing that Tucson has over Phoenix and that is the weather.....OK, and the Catalinas. Phoenix is a cheaper place to live (except for gas prices), has a much wider selection of ethnic restaurants, has much better roads (arterial and freeways) and did I mention ASU football (OK, that's a cheap shot but I could not resist because it overwhelms UofA basketbull). And speaking of sports we have the Dbacks, Suns, Coyotes (OK you have the farm club and they are good right now so that might be a tie), Cardinals and did I mention ASU? We get the good concerts, big golf tournaments, NASCAR races and almost everything else except the Gem & Mineral Show. I won't even go into our tax base advantage or the economics of the two regions.

I loved the Tucson of old but to compare the relative advantages of each is no real contest and after two tries at trying to earn a living down there as an IT professional I finally gave up and moved north to the end of the rainbow. Now that I am retired I have considered moving back down there again but the convenience of living here is just too great. I've become too spoiled.

When did you work at KTKT?

Sorry about the 'Tuscon' slip. And thank you for spelling our mountain correctly (with both 'L's). And although it did not come up, you probably also know (as a former resident) that there is no 'n' in Wilmot (pet peeve--even some local news people pronounce it wrong). Sorry about hating on the Valley of the Smog, it's just ingrained in every true Tucsonan/Tucsonian (another spelling debate there). Did not work at 'Color Radio 99', just grew up listening to them. And KFIF/KIKX. And 13 KHYT (but only while the sun was up). Trucw--I won't further disparage Phoenix (and those twenty or so other municpalities around it) if you don't say anything else about my town (and it's three 'official' suburbs plus one square-mile town surrounded by the city. Go Wildcats! And why is gas so much cheaper down here anyway?

The difference between Phoenix and Tucson...
Phoenix took an ugly piece of desert and made it beautiful.
Tucson took a beautiful piece of desert and made it ugly.

Go Wildcats!

I have been torn between ASU and UofA almost since birth (a loooong time ago!). One of my grandmothers began teaching at Tempe Normal Teachers College back in the 30's and the rest of her family lived the rest of their lives in Tempe. At about age 4 my family moved us from Tempe to Tucson so I grew up with UofA since then. In '79 I moved back to Tempe for job opportunities and have been here ever since. The annual Territorial Bowl game is agony for me since I never want either team to lose.

And why is gas so much cheaper down here anyway?

Good question. Phoenix is fed by pipelines originating in LA. Tucson by pipelines from El Paso. Phoenix uses up a ton of gas, Tucson much less and the gas from LA has to meet CA rules which means treating it with chemicals TX does not require. Phoenix is therefore in price competition with LA and CA gas prices are always higher. Also, Tucson is at the end of the El Paso pipeline so any excess product left in the pipe is sold at discounted prices to get rid of it. Phoenix used to have gas left over but not any longer.

The difference between Phoenix and Tucson...
Phoenix took an ugly piece of desert and made it beautiful.
Tucson took a beautiful piece of desert and made it ugly.

More truth in that than most people will admit.

Central Arizona desert is not known for being very beautiful. The high desert elsewhere in the state tends to be much more lush and not quite as flat.

I grew up in Tucson before the major developers got to it with their bulldozers and the little patches of native desert all over town were green, smelled great (when it rained) and wonderful to play in as a kid. They are all gone now. :(

It's seems hard to believe that it was nearly fifty years ago (1970) that I was hired to do news at 99 KTKT. Station Manager Phil Richardson told me that in the summer Phoenix is a "blast furnace" while Tucson cools down at night. Phoenix isn't the big problem that its suburbs are. They elect lunatics from the far right to the Arizona Legislature and the whole state must live by the laws they enact. One example is a representative from Scottsdale whose last radio job was at KTAR. Before that he worked for KFI and KLAC in Los Angeles. Years earlier at WGR in Buffalo where he played music. Most of these nut jobs have no radio backgrounds and that speaks well for our industry.

If there is some place in Tucson that has line of sight at ground level to the entire metro area I can only wonder why three Tucson FMs are atop 500 foot towers. Most of the other FMs are on mountains.

Station Manager Phil Richardson told me that in the summer Phoenix is a "blast furnace" while Tucson cools down at night.

Phoenix' average temp is a few degrees above Tucson's but that has changed since 1970 due to the move of the Tucson reporting station. Now they are almost identical. Tucson does cool off at night and that is a good advantage (I did mention the weather is nicer down there). Tucson also gets more dependable summer rain than does Phoenix. Phoenix' reporting station is at Sky Harbor airport which is about the hottest single address in the metro area. While it is accurate it does not represent the many smaller communities that are cooler.

Phoenix isn't the big problem that its suburbs are. They elect lunatics from the far right to the Arizona Legislature and the whole state must live by the laws they enact.

Arizona, except for metro Tucson, is largely and historically conservative (and, yes, somewhat lunatic). Tucson has been more progressive for a very long time but that hasn't done it much financial good as it is still a town without two nickels to rub together. Not helping is their "no progress" attitude which has resulted in terrible traffic, lousy roads and long (for the size of the town) commutes. While commute times in Phoenix are also chart topping at least we have limited access highways (I would call them freeways but everyone knows they aren't free and that f-word is not allowed in Tucson). The good news is that Arizona is gradually turning purple politically.

If there is some place in Tucson that has line of sight at ground level to the entire metro area I can only wonder why three Tucson FMs are atop 500 foot towers. Most of the other FMs are on mountains.

The three towers of which you speak might have already been existing structures so it was just convenient - I don't know without knowing which, specifically, you address. If they are the three old KCNA towers on north Swan Road they have been there since the 1950's and it would not make a lot of sense to take them down (although I'm sure the residents of Snob Hollow up in the foothills would just love them to take a nasty fall). I'll bet you could stick a coat hanger on top of the old Phoenix Title building downtown and reach 99% of the population with a good FM signal.

The old KIKX towers along North Swan Road haven't been used for broadcasting in about 25 years. And they are nothing approaching 500 feet tall. The oldest of the giant towers is near the Ruthrauff Road exit to I-10. It is home to 104.1 but used to have several other stations including 94.9 and 96.1. I think there is at least one translator on that tower. A couple miles north of that tower is one near the Ina Road exit and it is used by 97.5. The third 500 footer is near the Pima County Fairgrounds well southeast of Tucson. It is used by 92.1 and is on land owned by the State of Arizona. Most of the other FMs are in the Tucson Mountains west of the city. 196.3 is on Mount Lemmon and 91.3 and 90.5 are on Mount Bigelow where most of the TV stations are found. Bigelow is about 8,000 feet above sea level and nearly the highest communications site in the nation. No commercial FM (aside from translators) is in the valley.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom