• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tricking younger people into listening to 1970s music?

Another one-hit wonder that was from my backyard here in Steubenville, Ohio.
Donnie Iris was their most successful member. Some parts of Wild Cherry ended up
in his band, The Jaggerz.

Another one hit wonder although their one hit did hit Number 1.

With all the ways to listen, stream, download why would anyone actually phone a station to request a song?

That is soooooo 50's!
The iHeartRadio DJs give out their Twitter handles, so presumably that's where their requests are coming from.

And again today they ran a "Variety from the '80s to Today" liner and immediately followed it with "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" from 1976.

I just heard a song that was surely from the 70s or 80s but it has "hashtag" in the lyrics. The one clue in the lyrics about the song's title is "24 karat magic", which I think is a recent hit song.

I just heard a song that was surely from the 70s or 80s but it has "hashtag" in the lyrics. The one clue in the lyrics about the song's title is "24 karat magic", which I think is a recent hit song.

'Hashtag' has been used by the IT community at least since the 50's. Back then it meant 'number'.

'Hashtag' has been used by the IT community at least since the 50's. Back then it meant 'number'.
But in this case the song is actually "24K Magic" by Bruno Mars. Or at least that's my guess since I haven't looked up the lyrics. It's silly but I won't go to most web sites at home.

According to Merriam-Webster, the first known use of hashtag occurred in 2007. Terms for the symbol # include hash mark, pound sign, and, in the geek lexicon, octothorpe.

According to Merriam-Webster, the first known use of hashtag occurred in 2007. Terms for the symbol # include hash mark, pound sign, and, in the geek lexicon, octothorpe.

If you are using the hashtag mark (#) I can tell you I personally used it in coding as early as 1968. If you are talking about its current use (#something) then Merriam-Webster might be correct. It wasn't used as a link way back then but rather as a variable value.

And, of course, it was used to mean 'pound' probably a hundred years before either of us.

If you are using the hashtag mark (#) I can tell you I personally used it in coding as early as 1968. If you are talking about its current use (#something) then Merriam-Webster might be correct. It wasn't used as a link way back then but rather as a variable value.

And, of course, it was used to mean 'pound' probably a hundred years before either of us.

It's the "tag" part of the word that's a recent addition. "Hash" and "hash mark" go way back as descriptions of the symbol that looks like an italicized tic-tac-toe board, but the "tag" didn't appear until the symbol found its current use in social media as a way to label a post. And "#" as a symbol for "number" goes way, way back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom