• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Traditional TV 'past the point of no return' as viewership hits record low

Cable's goal seems to be "stop the bleeding" rather than try and entice new viewers. Outside of sports and select other programming, most of what is on cable can be found on like 3 streaming services. Still, it is enjoyable to scroll through "what is on" rather than doom scrolling and you can happen upon stuff easier through cable, and things like game shows are fun to watch via linear, but streaming will definitely win.
Streaming also has way better quality.

Cable's goal seems to be "stop the bleeding" rather than try and entice new viewers. Outside of sports and select other programming, most of what is on cable can be found on like 3 streaming services. Still, it is enjoyable to scroll through "what is on" rather than doom scrolling and you can happen upon stuff easier through cable, and things like game shows are fun to watch via linear, but streaming will definitely win.
In my opinion, the strong point for CATV, DirecTV and the others is that they offer a "1 stop shop" for people who want all their TV channels and content they watch in 1 place, along with a bunch of music channels from Music Choice and some decent On-Demand movies, past TV shows and other stuff. Companies like Comcast/XFinity and AT&T/DirecTV also offer bundle pricing if you'll use them for TV, internet and phone. The 2 biggest challenges facing them IMO are 1) They've priced themselves so high, especially for Comcast customers, that it's become cheaper for those people to get the content they want via one or a few streaming services and maybe an OTA antenna and save $$. 2) More and more content including TV series and college and pro sporting events are moving to streaming-only platforms, so even if people hang on to Comcast or DirecTV, they'll no longer be able to see all the stuff they want.

I wonder how long low rated networks like Fuse will last? Watching it feels like a trip back to the 00s (have not rebranded since then, still show Malcolm in the Middle, ect.) Their ratings are not good, but stations like Comedy.tv are worse. We might see lower rated ones start going, and decades from now the more major ones.

I wonder how long low rated networks like Fuse will last? Watching it feels like a trip back to the 00s (have not rebranded since then, still show Malcolm in the Middle, ect.) Their ratings are not good, but stations like Comedy.tv are worse. We might see lower rated ones start going, and decades from now the more major ones.
Depends. If it doesn't cost them much to operate and they're able to at least break even financially, they may be around for a while. It's not like a lot of other networks are developing new or enticing channels or content intended for CATV. In fact, many cable networks that were once well-known and produced original series have nixed much or all that. TNT announced just earlier this year that they'd be producing no more new original scripted programming as one example. They switched to reruns and sports programs for the most part.

Depends. If it doesn't cost them much to operate and they're able to at least break even financially, they may be around for a while. It's not like a lot of other networks are developing new or enticing channels or content intended for CATV. In fact, many cable networks that were once well-known and produced original series have nixed much or all that. TNT announced just earlier this year that they'd be producing no more new original scripted programming as one example. They switched to reruns and sports programs for the most part.
Yes and some of that is the parent company of TNT has been sending "Original Scripted Programming" to Max App. It's like in Disney's case FX was known for that too for Original scripted programming in the past decade but in Disney case they put the moelre resources for that type of shows for Hulu.

Something that bugs me about some of these channels is that they show a limited number of episodes, and not the entire series. At least they could change up the episodes they show every few months.
Pluto TV is running a Twilight Zone marathon this weekend that started Friday and is running into Monday on their Classic TV Drama channel. It's enough time to run the entire series, but it looks like they're running the same limited number of episodes and they're already repeating them.

Yes and some of that is the parent company of TNT has been sending "Original Scripted Programming" to Max App. It's like in Disney's case FX was known for that too for Original scripted programming in the past decade but in Disney case they put the moelre resources for that type of shows for Hulu.
Id rather watch the shows a day or 2 later on Hulu. Easier to binge and not see commercials.

And now with Spectrum's pi$$ing match with Disney, college football has gone away on ESPN/ESPN2 for millions of subscribers, as are the other Disney networks, FX, etc. plus ABC O&Os in Spectrum areas.
On my last trip to Montana, one of the restaurants I visited had ESPN on the TVs...via streaming. I think it was YouTube TV. Not satellite, and not via Spectrum cable, which serves Missoula/Kalispell.

I expect fall ratings will be the lowest they have ever been, worse than the 2007 strike. Viewers won't return to ABC for DWTS, CBS should be lucky that Big Brother has 3 million viewers a week, and even the game shows are dropping in the ratings.
When Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough were crowned the champions in season 5 of DWTS...2007, BTW, the show had over 20 million viewers a week. Networks are lucky to get that for regular-season NFL nowadays.

I'll spend my fall enjoying classic movies and reruns of TV shows.

And now with Spectrum's pi$$ing match with Disney, college football has gone away on ESPN/ESPN2 for millions of subscribers, as are the other Disney networks, FX, etc. plus ABC O&Os in Spectrum areas.
On my last trip to Montana, one of the restaurants I visited had ESPN on the TVs...via streaming. I think it was YouTube TV. Not satellite, and not via Spectrum cable, which serves Missoula/Kalispell.

I expect fall ratings will be the lowest they have ever been, worse than the 2007 strike. Viewers won't return to ABC for DWTS, CBS should be lucky that Big Brother has 3 million viewers a week, and even the game shows are dropping in the ratings.
When Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough were crowned the champions in season 5 of DWTS...2007, BTW, the show had over 20 million viewers a week. Networks are lucky to get that for regular-season NFL nowadays.

I'll spend my fall enjoying classic movies and reruns of TV shows.
ESPN Plus (the streaming channel) will also probably gain subscribers for the new ManningCast season.

Viewers won't return to ABC for DWTS, CBS should be lucky that Big Brother has 3 million viewers a week, and even the game shows are dropping in the ratings.
In case you weren't aware, starting last season or maybe the one before, DTWS is only available via paid streamer Disney+. It's no longer on ABC, no longer available OTA or on CATV, etc.

DWTS is returning to ABC this fall. I've seen promos. It will also air on Disney+ as it has been.

DWTS is returning to ABC this fall. I've seen promos. It will also air on Disney+ as it has been.
That I had not seen - but the Google machine confirms you are correct! In that case, I agree with your previous comment, I'll also be interested to see what the numbers look like. While it was well-publicized over a long period when DWTS was moving exclusively to Disney+, the fact that episodes will air on ABC again doesn't seem to be getting as much attention - unless they plan to start the publicity push in a few weeks' time when they reveal the "stars" (who've been less than for the past few seasons, which has contributed to the ratings drop).

Will also be interested to see if "already aired" episodes will be available via Comcast on demand as they had been before the move to Disney+? At minimum hopefully Comcast will enable the "record episode" feature for watching the ABC telecasts later.

I doubt if DWTS would return to linear TV if not for the fact that every actor and writer is still on strike. ABC needs *some* type of programming to fill in the gaps. That's why very little of ABC's lineup will be scripted (reruns, of course) this year. Mostly reality, game shows, 20/20, Shark Tank, AFV.

I doubt if DWTS would return to linear TV if not for the fact that every actor and writer is still on strike. ABC needs *some* type of programming to fill in the gaps. That's why very little of ABC's lineup will be scripted (reruns, of course) this year. Mostly reality, game shows, 20/20, Shark Tank, AFV.
Maybe the "Stars" in DWTS can be pro sports "Stars" from football, baseball and basketball and the like. I'd love to see Messi dance with a partner the way he "dances" with the ball right into the goal.

Last edited:
Maybe the "Stars" in DWTS can be pro sports "Stars" from football, baseball and basketball and the like. I'd love to see Messi dance with a partner the way he "dances" with the ball right into the goal.
Emmitt Smith won the third season and they’ve had some other NFL stars on too like Antonio Brown, Michael Irvin and others.

Back
Top Bottom