• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Toucher and Rich the end ?

Fred had a traumatic year. We don't know what went on behind the scenes with Rich. Evidently Rich had enough.
Toucher probably lost half his net worth. He needs to make this new show work.

Last edited:
Fred went through a divorce. He has child support. His ex may have got damages. He had an expensive year...

Every day Fred says at 6:15 "Ok Rich, what have we got coming up?" Rich then lays 6:20 -9:59 out. RS gets in early to work on prep - no more.

Going off his work history, I could see him at WBOS or WROR, but not necessarily WKLB. He has history of working on Kidd Kradick's show and working at Alt-Rock stations. Anything for me to say beyond that is all speculation. I rather not create rumors based on my own fan fiction. Just that historically, I could see him fitting in at both WBOS and WROR.
A local morning show on WBOS would be awesome. Maybe ZLX?

Going off his work history, I could see him at WBOS or WROR, but not necessarily WKLB. He has history of working on Kidd Kradick's show and working at Alt-Rock stations. Anything for me to say beyond that is all speculation. I rather not create rumors based on my own fan fiction. Just that historically, I could see him fitting in at both WBOS and WROR.
A local morning show on WBOS would be awesome. Maybe ZLX
Isn't WBOS owned by the same company that owns The Sports Hub?

People in Atlanta are suggesting he might return to 99X down there.
Beasley also owns 'ROR. Also WBCN in Florida...

Toucher and Rich,” the highly-rated, humor-focused 98.5 The Sports Hub program that served as the morning bedrock for the radio station’s rapid rise to ratings success, is no more.

The end of the show, which also featured third voice Jon Wallach, is not a surprise; for months there had been tension between Toucher and Shertenlieb, longtime radio partners who first worked together in Atlanta before coming to the Boston market at WBCN in 2006. But the abruptness is stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't WBOS owned by the same company that owns The Sports Hub?

People in Atlanta are suggesting he might return to 99X down there.
Only speculating, but he has experience in Top 40 radio, meaning that there is a wider range of possibilities. People mention the possibility of WEEI, and I actually would think that he would fit in better on a show that focuses on general entertainment instead of a sports focused show.

Yet makes no money....and hasn't for years.

My understanding was that the WBOS morning show a was cost cutting venture. And MassMusicMan's statement I think needs to come with a emphasis that Dave and Chuck's success have been mainly in their home market (Detroit). They were highly successful when they were based out of Canada and broadcasted into Detroit, and they continue to be on WRIF. But how much do they really move the needle, in Boston?

With that, the memberberries make me ask what if part of T&R go to WBOS, and recreate the waining days of WBCN with Adam 12 and Hardy, then logic kicks in and asks "why?" Makes no sense to recreate a station that failed and was flipped, unless we suddenly had a huge calling for modern rock in the city. Most of us modern rock listeners all moved on to streaming or satellite. I currently think that with his and his wife's involvement in the Boston community, I don't see him going somewhere else, but I could be way off. I originally speculated that Beasley keeps him, but moves him. Looks like that's out of the window, thus the random guess of WBOS is off the table.

Last edited:
Only speculating, but he has experience in Top 40 radio, meaning that there is a wider range of possibilities.
FYI 99X Atlanta is a classic alt format that has brought back most of their original staff.

Looks like that's out of the window, thus the random guess of WBOS is off the table.
Once again, why would Beasley let someone go, only to hire him at their other station, in order to compete with their cash cow?

FYI 99X Atlanta is a classic alt format that has brought back most of their original staff.

Once again, why would Beasley let someone go, only to hire him at their other station, in order to compete with their cash cow?
With WBOS, exactly. However, if he said I didn't want to continue at the Sports Hub, he could have negotiated to move. Obviously that isn't what happened.

Also you do realize that although Rich worked at 99X, he's better remembered for his time on Kidd Kraddick.

Toucher and Rich,” the highly-rated, humor-focused 98.5 The Sports Hub program that served as the morning bedrock for the radio station’s rapid rise to ratings success, is no more.

The end of the show, which also featured third voice Jon Wallach, is not a surprise; for months there had been tension between Toucher and Shertenlieb, longtime radio partners who first worked together in Atlanta before coming to the Boston market at WBCN in 2006. But the abruptness is stunning.
Rest of post deleted. "Fair Usage" does not permit more than the part of the article I left as the source is copyright.

That could be, but he has a better chance of getting hired by 99X.
All speculation on both our parts, which makes this fun to discuss back and forth. I think Toucher had a point in his discussion. "He may be the next Matty in the Morning." I'm not thinking that Rich goes to Kiss 108, but the main idea is that Rich's personality, general interests, and work ethic could fit in well at a Hot AC or Top 40 station. He has range, and can be suited across multiple formats. I wouldn't be so sure to see him back at a Rock or Alternative station; yet if he did end up at one, I wouldn't be surprised either.

I first theorized Beasley keeping him, and moving him to another station. All evidence shows that my theory was inaccurate.

Names are being floated about as possible replacements to pair with Fred,
such as Rob "Hardy" Poole, "Big Jim" Murray + Kendra Middleton.

InsideRadio.com piece:

which quotes the Boston Herald article:

Back
Top Bottom