• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Top Alt songs of 2006?

Why let the people on the CHR board have all the fun, let's get it going...

My picks:
10) Pearl Jam - World Wide Suicide These Seattle rockers never went away but they do something that all their grunge-wannabe imitators can't do. They can rock while remaining socially conscious and relevant. Plus, on this CD, Eddie and the boys have never sounded better.
9) She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart Some will say these guys are just an Interpol rip-off with dance beats but there's no denying this songs infectious groove and hook all the while this lusting and creepy lyrics.
8) Stone Sour - Through Glass Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you guys don't think this belongs on alternative but Corey Taylor yet again shoes a different side of himself, of course along the lines of "Bother." Great powerful rock song which I hope there will always be room for on the Alternative charts.
7) Lostprophets - Rooftops This wasn't as big of a hit as the label and band probably hoped it would be and I'm sure some will point out it sounds like a virtual re-write of their previous hit "Last Train Home" but when that chorus kicks in again and again, it sounds enormous, like a battle cry.
6) 30 Seconds To Mars - The Kill I've been a fan of this band since their first release and it's nice to see them finally getting the recognition they deserve. A great track off of a great disc and will hopefully have people viewing them as a band instead of just Jared Leto's music project.
5) Muse - Knights Of Cydonia I've always been a fan of this band and after seeing them live, they deserve all the praise they get. Why this band isn't selling out arenas in the states is beyond me. A true alternative artist and I'm happy that they're getting more recognition. Oh, and this song rocks.
4) Blue October - Hate Me One of the most unlikely hit singles this year. Justin has a great voice and a way with lyrics. The song is great for anyone who wants to apologize for those they've wronged and is powerful without being cliche. Foiled is an excellent disc as well, although, don't know if there will be another single off of it as big as this one.
3) Gnarls Barkley - Crazy Probably the biggest surprise of '06 this song was a cross-format smash. Glad alternative showed some faith in this little side project. It's refreshing to hear this amongst the post-grunge, neo-new wave and emo cluttering the airwaves.
2) Tool - Vicarious These guys can do no wrong it seems. My jaw hit the floor when I first heard this one. Everything flows together perfectly, the lyrics, melody, riffs, bass lines, drum grooves. A true art-metal band. Let's keep them on Alternative, don't let Active Rock have all the fun.
1) My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade I'm sure I'll take some flack for this but this song is incredible. These guys didn't rest on their laurels at all. You can tell they pushed themselves and the results are enormous. Expect this band to be around for a while.

I'd like to throw in:

Ima Robot-Creeps Me Out

Muse-Supermassive Black Hole

Osaka Popstar-Wicked World

Shiny Toy Guns-Le Disko

Overall, "Knights Of Cydonia" gets my top vote.

Arctic Monkeys "I Bet You Look Good on The Dancefloor" belongs on any top 10 list this year IMO. I'd also put The Racontuers "Level" up there as well. Conversley, I'd say SHiny Toy Guns "Le Disko" is the flat out worst alt song of the year. I have no clue how that got played on radio...

1. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

2. Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on The Dance Floor

3. Red Hot Chili Pepper's - Dani California

4. A.F.I. - Miss Murder

5. Panic! At The Disco - But Its Better If You Do

6. Matchbook Romance - Monsters

7. Taking Back Sunday - MakeDamnSure

8. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark

9. The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes

10. Placebo - Infa-Red

11. The Killers - When You Were Young

12. Panic! At The Disco - I Write Sins Not Tragedies

13. Snow Patrol - Hands Open

14. Angels & Airwaves - The Adventure

15. The Subways - Rock & Roll Queen

16. Nine Inch Nails - Everyday is Exactly The Same

17. The Classic Crime - The Coldest Heart

18. Ima Robot - Creeps Me Out

19. My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the black parade

20. Keane - Is It Any Wonder?

1. The Pipettes – Pull Shapes - We Are the Pipettes (Memphis Industries)
2. Peter, Bjorn & John – Young Folks - Writer’s Block – (Wichita)
3. Camera Obscura – Lloyd, I’m Ready to be Heartbroken - Let’s Get Out of This Country (Merge)
4. Long Blondes – Separated By Motorways – (s) (Good and Evil)
5. Be Your Own Pet – Bicycle Bicycle – Be Your Own Pet (Ecstatic Peace)
6. Metric – Monster Hospital – Live it Out (Last Gang)
7. The View – Wasted Little DJ’s – (s) (1965)
8. The Pipettes – Your Kisses are Wasted on Me – We Are the Pipettes (Memphis Industries)
9. Lily Allen – Smile – Alright, Then (Regal)
10. The Horrors – Sheena is a Parasite (s) (Loog)
11. The Concretes – Chosen One – (s) (EMI)
12. Dirty Pretty Things – Deadwood – Waterloo to Anywhere (Vertigo)
13. The Motorettes – Relax, It’s the 80s – The Motorettes (Kitchenware)
14. Neil Young – Let’s Impeach the President - Living with War (Reprise)
15. CSS - Let’s Make Love & Listen to Death from Above – Cansei De Ser Sexy (SubPop)
16. Sonic Youth – Reena – Rather Ripped (Geffin)
17. Sunny Day Sets Fire – Brainless - (s) (Brikabrak)
18. The Envelopes – Free Jazz – (s) (Brille)
19. The Blueskins – Change My Mind – Word of Mouth (Domino)
20. Mission of Burma – Spider's Web – The Obliterati (Matador)
21. Buzzcocks – Wish I Never Loved You – Flat Pack Philosophy (Cooking Vinyl)
22. Kasabian – Shoot the Runner – Empire (RCA)
23. Radio Birdman – Zeno Beach - Zeno Beach – (Yep Roc)
24. Arctic Monkeys – View from the Afternoon – Whatever People Say I Am... (Domino)
25. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts – Change the World – Sinner (Blackheart)
26. Belle & Sebastian – White Collar Boy - The Life Pursuit (Matador)
27. Zutons – Valerie – Tired of Hanging Around (Sony)
28. Futureheads – Return of the Berserker – News and Tributes (679 / Vagrant)
29. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Gold Lion – Show Your Bones (Interscope)
30. The View – Superstar Tradesman (s) (1965)
31. Decemberists – O Valencia – Crane Wife (Capitol)
32. Babyshambles – The Blinding (EP) (Parlophone)
33. New York Dolls – Dance Like A Monkey – One Day It Will Please Us (Roadrunner)
34. Love Is All – Busy Doing Nothing – Nine Times That Same Song (Parlophone)
35. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Over and Over Again – CYHSY (self)
36. Robots in Disguise – Turn it Up - Get Rid (President)
37. Placebo – Because I Want You – Meds (EMI)
38. The Fratellis – Chelsea Dagger - Costello Music – (Island)
39. The Kooks – She Moves in Her Own Way – Inside In Inside Out (Virgin)
40. The Slits – Slits Tradition - Revenge of the Killer Slits (SAF)

Top Songs: Not my FAVORITE songs or the BEST songs, but the BIGGEST songs of 2006 in my opinion.

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Dani California"
2. Tool - "Vicarious"
3. Pearl Jam - "World Wide Suicide"
4. My Chemical Romance - "Welcome To The Black Parade"
5. Incubus - "Anna Molly"
6. Evanescence - "Call Me When Your Sober"
7. The Killers - "When You Were Young"
8. Snow Patrol - "Chasing Cars"
9. Panic @ The Disco - "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies"
10. Blue October - "Hate Me"
11. AFI - "Miss Murder"
12. Raconteurs - "Steady As She Goes"
13. Breaking Benjamin - "The Diary Of Jane"
14. Gnarls Barkley - "Crazy"
15. 30 Seconds To Mars - "The Kill"
16. Stone Sour - "Through Glass"
17. Muse - "Starlight"
18. Keane - "Is It Any Wonder"
19. She Wants Revenge - "Tear You Apart
20. Matisyahu - "King Without A Crown"
21. Angels And Airwaves - "The Adventure"
22. Arctic Monkeys - "I Bet You Look Good..."
23. 30 Seconds To Mars - "From Yesterday"
24. Lost Prophets - "Rooftops"
25. Wolfmother - "Woman"

marko83 said:
someones trying to hard to be cool

Someone's been so brainwashed by corporate record companies and their promoters that they feel they have to criticize anyone not marching in lockstep.

And now for the real Top 10 ;D

1. LDN-Lily Allen
2. PIECES OF THE PEOPLE WE LOVE-The Rapture
3. MEDS-Placebo
4. PUNKROCKER-Teddybears STHLM (featuring Iggy Pop)
5. BECAUSE I'M AWESOME-The Dollyrots
6. I WANT TO BE YOUR DAVY JONES-Sorethumb
7. THESE THINGS-She Wants Revenge
8. STARLIGHT-Muse
9. CRAZY AS SHE GOES-Gnarls Barkley vs. The Raconteurs
10.VAMPIRE GIRLS-Jesus H. Christ & the Four Horsemen

Batfink said:
marko83 said:

Someone's been so brainwashed by corporate record companies and their promoters that they feel they have to criticize anyone not marching in lockstep.

Yeah, Gnarls Barkley, She Wants Revenge, Muse, Placebo, The Rapture, never heard of those guys....guess the corporate brainwashing wokred after all....

</sarcasm>

Batfink said:
marko83 said:

And now for the real Top 10 ;D

1. LDN-Lily Allen
2. PIECES OF THE PEOPLE WE LOVE-The Rapture
3. MEDS-Placebo
4. PUNKROCKER-Teddybears STHLM (featuring Iggy Pop)
5. BECAUSE I'M AWESOME-The Dollyrots
6. I WANT TO BE YOUR DAVY JONES-Sorethumb
7. THESE THINGS-She Wants Revenge
8. STARLIGHT-Muse
9. CRAZY AS SHE GOES-Gnarls Barkley vs. The Raconteurs
10.VAMPIRE GIRLS-Jesus H. Christ & the Four Horsemen

The forklift operators would greatly disagree with you and your list. ;)

If that is what your favrorite alternative songs from 2006 were, then I think that's cool. I just assumed that the original poster intended this to be a discussion of the BIGGEST songs of 2006 for the alt. rock format. I work for a non-comm alt. rocker, and I still haven't heard half the songs on your list. Am I alone in that?

p_herring said:
Yeah, Gnarls Barkley, She Wants Revenge, Muse, Placebo, The Rapture, never heard of those guys....guess the corporate brainwashing wokred after all....

</sarcasm>

Hey, who said there's anything wrong with artists who have achieved some degree of popularity? Not me; I'm a fan of new music, period. My point, which you obviously missed, is limiting a best-of list to ONLY those artists and singles that were heavily pushed and promoted by the money men at the exclusion of other great new songs and artists (regardless of financial backing) goes against the spirit of alternative rock: enjoying the alternative rock that's easy to find while always seeking out more good new music without having it all spoon-fed to you. As someone once said, "Blind acceptance is a sign of stupid fools who stand in line."

Ben said:
I work for a non-comm alt. rocker, and I still haven't heard half the songs on your list. Am I alone in that?

If you work at an alt-rock station, especially a non-commercial one, perhaps you should take a pro-active step and seek out the half of the songs on my list that you never heard of. Maybe you'll like some, maybe you won't but try sampling some new music you hear about from other non-traditional avenues. That's what I do; I read and listen to many sources on the web and elsewhere to discover as much good new music as I can. Even though there's a lot I decide I don't like, it's worth making the effort to find those hidden treasures you normally wouldn't have been exposed to. If you have any say in programming at your station you might just be doing your listeners a favor.

"Maybe you'll like some, maybe you won't but try sampling some new music you hear about from other non-traditional avenues. That's what I do; I read and listen to many sources on the web and elsewhere to discover as much good new music as I can."

It's preaching to the choir to suggest to a noncomm alt person to actively seek out new music

Well, as the choir, I will say that of course I'm going to check out the bands on your list that I hadn't heard of before. I just thought it was interesting to point out how vast the "alt. rock scene" is considering that I'm exposed to quite a bit of new music, and still hadn't heard of 5 bands on your list.

As far as us only being spoon fed the bands that "the man" wants us to hear, it seems to me like that particular argument has probably been made ever since the first cylinder record was pressed some 100 years ago. While I think we should get as many different points of view as possible, I don't think it should come as a surprise that a list created on a site called "radio-info" would consist of bands that got heavy play on the radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom