• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Top 40 in the late 1970s

I got my first gig as program director and music director at a small town station. I analyzed the market. Clearly this young Hispanic border town was listening to 550 KTSA, a highly rated Top 40 in San Antonio, 150 miles away. Across the river in Mexico was an FM top 40. I knew a guy that worked there. There was no microphone in the studio. The jocks manually played a song then a carted liner, a few commercials, another liner and another song. They called themselves "The Machine". My station was an FM where the station had a reputation of being "mickey mouse".

Having worked in a record store, I had become fairly skilled at picking the hits. With all the music I heard, those hits just sounded different enough to be easily identified. My record store was months ahead on pushing Heart and Boston among others.

I wasn't exceptional at 'predicting' the hits but I think I was right about 2 out of 3 times. I considered this an important factor because back then being the first to introduce a group or song before the other stations was important to listeners. The station that was ahead of the curve was 'cool'.

Back in those days we got singles and sometimes albums from the record companies. And as a former assistant manager of a record store I had contacts that fed me info and records.

My goal was to be on hits about 4 weeks ahead of KTSA that would push the stuff I had been playing as 'new'. The station in Mexico, The Machine bought records at the record store downtown, so they could not beat me to the punch.

Sometimes it went wrong. A Poco album arrived. After a listen, I selected In The Heart of The Night and Crazy Love as the singles and felt Crazy Love would be the followup, not the first single. Got the songs right but the order wrong.

I was there 18 months. In hindsight I was a very small part in the success of the station. It's what my boss put in place that created success. He got advertisers. He got businesses playing the station. He worked on making the station a part of the community. He encouraged us and would buy a new piece of equipment here and there to replace the true junk we had been working with. And he got us Tanner jingles (man, that was so cool).

Even though this was the late 1970s, I refused to be heavily recurrent and gold. Many were 60% currents. I was about 75%. Being in a small market, I was forced to daypart making mornings more AC and the rockers after 6pm. As early as 1976 I felt it was time to return Top 40 to all hits and recurrents. I was tempted to do this in 1978 but figured I'd slice it down the middle with 75% currents.

Going all current/recurrent was a good top-40 strategy in the late 1970s, if for no other reason than the MOR stations that were moving forward to the early AC formats tended to be about 50% gold. Having a good ear for predicting the hits certainly was an advantage for you as well. (A "batting average" of .667 was pretty damned good.)

Some ACs going up against top-40 stations that were more gold-intensive went as high as 50% currents (I know I did in Oxnard-Ventura CA around the same time) but 75% was definitely a good amount, especially if "The Machine" played a high percentage of gold.

Funny thing about La Maquina is the negativity associated with a station playing English music and Spanish language commercials. It was not considered 'cool'. It was almost a 'class' thing. People on both sides of the river preferred an all English presentation. I had to have my buddy from La Maquina explain that to me. (That jock was a nice guy that loved our station and visited us, later applying for a job with us). I recall La Maquina being 100% currents.

I also scratched my head over an AM that played about 50% Spanish language pop hits and 50% Top 40 hits in English. That station used an old jingle package I remember from the late 1960s from what had been the dominant top 40 in Columbia, Missouri, KTGR, a package I nicknamed Tiger Radio because KTGR was Tiger Radio. There was no resistance to Spanish language jocks and commercials in Spanish on a station playing 50% English Top 40 Hits. I really liked this AM station's consistency and pacing. I loved the jingle package.

My 2 in 3 record on predicting hits would diminish greatly by the early 1980s. When music trends cropped up I found myself less sure of myself. Forget that I was playing Blondie and such on my pirate station about 1977 or so. I never thought Blondie would be huge. By then I had a music director what was much like me. By then we had a good 12-15 stations in major markets that influenced us greatly.

Did the WKTU - WABC 1978 Disco situation affect your music choices (KRNA-FM and KQCR-FM both played some Disco during that time, but no station in Eastern IA went to all Disco)?

Kirk Bayne

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom