• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tom Tom HD live traffic, is it HD radio?

I am having trouble finding info about mode, frequency etc. for HD live traffic, does anyone here know if it is anything to do with HD radio? I have found that it uses phone and other Tom Tom devices to compute traffic flow but how is it transmitted to the GPS device? The reason I ask is that it drops out frequently especially during bad weather when you need it most, I do most of my driving between Boston and Worcester. It's great when it works.

It has nothing to do with HD radio as far as I know. HD Live Traffic is a system they use around the world, and there's only one global two way solution suitable: GSM cell networks. The reason it costs so much to subscribe to Live Traffic is you've got a phone inside your GPS unit and it's constantly sending and receiving data. In the US, it uses the AT&T non-3G data network (EDGE or GPRS in some areas). Your receiver may have fallback capability to RDS on analog FM, and if so that traffic information should be solid through your commute as Clear Channel's Total Traffic has good coverage around Boston.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but AT&T is planning on shutting down their 2G networks by 2017, which will render these devices useless unless they secretly have some 3G chips in them that aren't turned on.

Thanks, either my unit is defective or or the range is terrible, it is either searching for the signal or it says no info 75% of the time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom